Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
I must admit it's incredibly useful for the 250-600.
Marc, as I am talking to the expert ...

When it comes to wildlife HD movie recording, I am always blown away by the range of zoom as seen on the Planet Earth Bluray. You start to see a single, say Zebra and end up seeing the entire desert flimed from a helicopter at high altitude. Feels like 20mm-2000mm zoom

Do you have any idea how they do it?

Do 100x HD zooms exist? Or, do they film with a battery of cameras/focal lenses, mounted to a single plate and recording at the same time?

EDIT:
I found this quote from a maker of the BBC feature:
QuoteQuote:
Mr Fothergill said high-definition cameras had also facilitated the use of new long-range filming techniques that were "completely impossible on film". "You can fly four times as high and still get the same level of close-up." It allowed the team to film wolves in the Arctic hunting caribou at speed without disturbing them and track golden eagles plucking demoiselle cranes from the air over the Himalayas

Last edited by falconeye; 10-16-2009 at 07:11 PM.
10-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #17
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Marc, as I am talking to the expert ...

When it comes to wildlife HD movie recording, I am always blown away by the range of zoom as seen on the Planet Earth Bluray. You start to see a single, say Zebra and end up seeing the entire desert flimed from a helicopter at high altitude. Feels like 20mm-2000mm zoom

Do you have any idea how they do it?

Do 100x HD zooms exist? Or, do they film with a battery of cameras/focal lenses, mounted to a single plate and recording at the same time?
18.6-1860mm:

Canon BCTV Lenses: HDTV Lenses: DIGISUPER 100 xs

http://www.canon.com/bctv/products/pdf/100xs.pdf

Last edited by jogiba; 10-16-2009 at 07:12 PM.
10-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, Joe got it!!!
10-17-2009, 04:08 AM   #19

This lens, the FA 100-300 is also equipped with powerzoom! But is it also 'parfocal, parfocal, maintaining its focus when zooming?'

Might be a great budget lens with an very interesting zoom range!

Another question, powerzoom, can it be used with the K-7?

Last edited by henrx; 10-17-2009 at 04:15 AM.
10-17-2009, 04:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by henrx Quote
Another question, powerzoom, can it be used with the K-7?
In forum "Pentax Photography Articles", thread "Pentax Power Zoom Explained" I provide a complete list of digital cameras supporting power zoom.

-> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/681482-post4.html

Movie-capable cameras: K-7: yes; K-x: no.

Last edited by falconeye; 10-19-2009 at 02:11 AM. Reason: inserted a working link
10-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, the forthcoming FF Pentax has one more contact on the mount to differentiate the new full frame XA lenses from DA. Lenses missing the contact are automatically cropped to APS-C.
Interesting information - that is a confirmed name for the full frame lenses?

So even the FA series lenses would be cropped since they do not have this additional contact? I would wonder if the Power Zoom contacts might be used as an alternate to identify a FF lens...? Just a thought and whether or not they could take advantage of it.
Falk, just thought I would quote my questions since I didn't see an answer from you - did I miss it?

Regards,
Marc
10-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Falk, just thought I would quote my questions since I didn't see an answer from you - did I miss it?
You missed it. It was reply #12, to be repeated here:
don't panic, just kidding
To be crystal clear: This was a joke posting in reply to jogiba's comment. The XA lens designation and additional FF lens contact are pure fantasy from my sick brain. I apologize for any inconvenience from my joke. I hoped it would be more obvious.

I am the kind of person who is serious 99% of the time and then all of a sudden makes an unexpected joke. Normally, gives my friends a good laugh

The last one I made tonight was like this: Friends of mine told from their past how they purchased a washing machine about the time after they got their first baby. I explained them however with serious concern that washing machines are not meant to wash babies within. There will be no XA lenses.

10-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, that's because I didn't read it as an absolute answer stating yes or no. Thanks for the clarification!

Nice baby joke...
10-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #24
Banned

Original Poster
BTW Pentax makes a 12-1680mm 137.5x power zoom lens for c-mount video cameras.
10-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just checked an FA 100-300 zoom I'm selling for a buddy, and yes, it is also parfocal. As I recall when the FA lenses and Power Zoom were originally being marketed, they not only automatically focus when zoomed (with autofocus on), but are designed so that they hold focus even when zoomed. I'm thinking that means the optical formula is such that there is very little adjustment to focus needed due to changing the zoom setting. I tested that too and even with autofocus turned off, the lens seems to stay pretty crisp through the zoom range once you set the focus manually at one end of the zoom range. And yes, it's a very inexpensive lens for that tele range. I'm selling this one for just over $110, but haven't posted it in the forum yet (hoping a local camera cluber will take it) but any Pentaxian who wants it is welcome to it!
10-21-2009, 05:48 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am the kind of person who is serious 99% of the time and then all of a sudden makes an unexpected joke. Normally, gives my friends a good laugh

The last one I made tonight was like this: Friends of mine told from their past how they purchased a washing machine about the time after they got their first baby. I explained them however with serious concern that washing machines are not meant to wash babies within. There will be no XA lenses.

I can quite understand why you don't tell many jokes
10-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I can quite understand why you don't tell many jokes
This one actually was a great success ROFL ...