Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
question K7 vs. Kx video

is the video mode on kx and k7 differs? well i know that fps differs on k7 -30fps on kx -24fps, and resolution on k7 can be better, but
the overall quality of video, roling shutter sound, noise? jello effect wise?
on which camera it's better if you just look at 720p video.. some dynamic action, or some sereny scene.
what about manual controls?

thanks for your input.

Last edited by Mystic; 11-07-2009 at 04:57 AM.
11-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Try out this blog, he's been extensively testing the sensor and video between the K-X and K-7

Click here: Falk Lumo
(Scroll down for a quick conclusion about the video between the K-X to the K-7)

From my internet searching, as a potential first time DSLR buyer, the video on the K-X might not have the same level of processing as the K-7, so now and then you might get aliasing with the K-X for example. But it's always hard to tell from say youtube videos, you just never now how they are getting processed by youtube or altered by the user.

For the K-X, there was a short period where it was feared you couldn't lock the auto exposure for video, causing it to adjust as you record. But there's a button on the back top right that by default it set to an auto focus button, but going into the menu, you can change it so does auto exposure lock.

I hope one day a video comparison will be done to see how much the shake reduction helps the jello video effect common on DSLR cameras.

Last edited by TimothyB; 11-07-2009 at 02:37 PM.
11-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thanks TimothyB,
I've checked falk lumo blog..
but.. there is no clear winner.. between the two cameras, and I still didn't understant, whether you have any more manual controls on k7 than on kx..

I have the money to buy a camera, but I cannot decide which one to get...

whether I'll be ok with no focussing points in the viewfinder, no weathersealing, worse body build quality, but much better IQ starting at 1600 ISO..

or i'll be ok with K7 and pictures good until 1600ISO, but worse further.. yet with amazing build quality, weathersealing, and indication of focus points.. it's a pain in the a**
what to do..

maybe that's why I started to look at video mode and weight up all pros and cons..

considering the price difference and the money i'd loose, kx seems as a better alternative..

because k7 will drop in price throughout 1 year much more significantly than the kx..

damn... i'm torned apart..
11-10-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
Banned

After comparing the audio with external Rode Stereo VideoMic and internal K-7 mic I now use the external mic all of the time now. But for the price the KX is a best buy for a DSLR with HD video and HDR mode. I am now waiting for a full frame version of the K-7 with 1080p 24 and 720p 60 mode.

11-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Forum Member

I find the extensive aliasing of the K-x much too distracting to be enjoyable. Whenever you'll give it "the opportunity", the K-x will produce heavy moire, and that means almost all of the time. I'm very disappointed as I waited for it since the first rumors, expecting it's video mode to be similar to K-7 but having 24p, but it's not even close to K-7 in my opinion. Then again, K-x is very cheap and a great stills cam, so it's not fair to expect an equally good video mode.
11-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
Forum Member

There is a possible solution pointed out by falconeye in another K-x thread, and that's to use an anti-moire filter.

There is a GREAT video of a Canon 7D user over at DVXuser.com, shooting very critical images that would always produce heavy moire (I shot video with a 7D and it also has quite severe aliasing problems), and it is almost completely gone.

especially note the brick building around 3:20 - 3:50. That shot would be full of moire normally.

He used a milder one of these, reducing the moire strong enough without blurring the picture too much.

Anti-Moir and anti-aliasing filters for digital cameras by Phase One, MegaVision, Kodak DCS and others

As I feel the K-x image being a bit harsh, a small blurring effect might even improve it's filmic "feel".

I'd love to see a test of K-x using such a filter, maybe anyone has an opportunity to do so? Falconeye??
11-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by karl79 Quote
I find the extensive aliasing of the K-x much too distracting to be enjoyable. Whenever you'll give it "the opportunity", the K-x will produce heavy moire, and that means almost all of the time. I'm very disappointed as I waited for it since the first rumors, expecting it's video mode to be similar to K-7 but having 24p, but it's not even close to K-7 in my opinion. Then again, K-x is very cheap and a great stills cam, so it's not fair to expect an equally good video mode.
To be fair, I've tried the K-x on a tripod, and [gasp], the moire and jaggies go away!

SR issue, perhaps?

01-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
kx Video

I love the k-x video.. not sure what moire is but i think the image quality is stellar. here's an example of a video i was pleasantly surprised with...

t-bay celebrates! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

i wasn't sure how it would turn out but it ended up doing great!