Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #16
Forum Member

Nikon at least tried not to mention video mode in D3s too much as they want to clearly position it as a high quality stills camera and nothing else, which I think is the right strategy but that's just my opinion.

11-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Who said HDMI always means video?
The title of the thread implies the connection. Otherwise, what's the point of yet another discussion about something that already has at least two active threads?
11-30-2009, 12:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The title of the thread implies the connection. Otherwise, what's the point of yet another discussion about something that already has at least two active threads?

I agree with rparmar. No chance it will have video. I understand it is a CCD sensor.
11-30-2009, 06:27 AM   #19
Banned

Original Poster
I guess in countries outside the US they don't know what "?" means.

11-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or maybe in countries inside the US they don't know how to communicate clearly. Given the statistical literacy rates that's a whole lot more likely.

If you're going to start a whole thread about HDMI and video why get in a huff if people point out that HDMI does not imply video?
11-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #21
Banned

Original Poster
If you told someone in 2007 that the next upgrade to the Canon EOS-1D Mark III would have 1080p HD video mode with HDMI output they would say your crazy. BTW I see there is a large percent of DSLR users that hate video and think video does not belong in a DSLR and say things like "if you want to shoot video go get a camcorder". 2010 is around the corner and you have to think outside the box to survive in this world . I guess the Pentax 645D will just be another large sensor sensor digital camera looking to compete with the Mamiya DL28, Leica S2 ,Hasselblad and Leaf Aptus-II /Phase One 645DF.
12-01-2009, 04:29 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you told someone in 2007 that the next upgrade to the Canon EOS-1D Mark III would have 1080p HD video mode with HDMI output they would say your crazy.
No, I wouldn't. But if you said you like ketchup with your ice cream I'd say your crazy.

2010 is around the corner and you have to think outside the box to survive in this world .
Video is definitely "inside the box" these days with every Tom, Dick and Harry camera including motion capture. Thinking outside the box would mean doing something different from every other major camera manufacturer... like, say, introducing a MF camera when everyone says there is no market for one.

I guess the Pentax 645D will just be another large sensor sensor digital camera looking to compete with the Mamiya DL28, Leica S2 ,Hasselblad and Leaf Aptus-II /Phase One 645DF.
And the K-7 is just another camera competing with dozens of existing APS-C cameras. So it goes.

12-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Ok, as someone outside the great US of A, I have to ask, what does a question mark mean to you?

My understanding of your post is: "Hi everyone, I see the 645D has an HDMI port on the side, does this mean it will have video?"

See. I used a question mark. I even have a sentence. Neat yes?

So, what are you asking? Maybe you don't know what a CCD sensor in a camera means?

It is the givaway that the camera will not shoot video.

You asked. We answered. Why the attitude?
12-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #24
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Ok, as someone outside the great US of A, I have to ask, what does a question mark mean to you?

My understanding of your post is: "Hi everyone, I see the 645D has an HDMI port on the side, does this mean it will have video?"

See. I used a question mark. I even have a sentence. Neat yes?

So, what are you asking? Maybe you don't know what a CCD sensor in a camera means?

It is the givaway that the camera will not shoot video.

You asked. We answered. Why the attitude?
My Canon TX 1 shoots HD video with a CCD sensor along with a myriad of other CCD sensor cameras.

PowerShot SX20 IS Digital Camera

QuoteQuote:
The other great thing about the SX20 is that it uses a 1/2.3-inch (0.44-inch) 12Mpixel CCD. Yes, no jello!
A new Canon contender -- the SX20 at DVinfo.net

QuoteQuote:
Kodak Releases a Fast HD Video CCD Sensor Array

Only two months ago, I wrote a blog entry on Kodak’s 50-Mpixel CCD still-camera sensor and the Hasselblad H3DII-50 large-format camera that first carried this sensor. Well, Kodak has just unleashed another high-end CCD optical sensor, but this time it’s for HD video and what it lacks in megapixels (relatively) it makes up in speed. (Kodak’s “marketing geek” Mike DeLuca has blogged this sensor here.)

The new device—the KODAK KAI-02150 Image Sensor—has a 1920x1080 (16:9) pixel array and meets the 1080p video standard for image capture. It performs a progressive scan (the "p" in 1080p) at 60 frames/sec: twice the frame rate of standard 1080p signals. It also has the dynamic range, imaging performance, and color fidelity needed to capture high-quality video that meet the elevated needs of the broadcast and medical-imaging markets. The sensor area matches the existing 2/3" optical format that’s common with video cameras so the new CCD array will work with existing video-camera lenses and the sensor array’s packaging is the same size as used in earlier Kodak video sensor arrays, so existing mechanical camera packaging can already accommodate this new CCD sensor array. Volume pricing is approximately $425 each. Send an email to imagers@kodak.com for more information.
http://www.edn.com/blog/980000298/post/90033009.html

12-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most professional video cameras are CCD. The whole Panasonic Varicam line and most Sony's as well. CMOS sensor are CHEAPER to make. That's the main reason they're starting to get used in professional video equipment. Take a look at the Panasonic HPX-300. That's a $9000 ENG camera with capabilities of a 3x more expensive CCD equivalent. Saying that CCD excludes video is blasphemy.
12-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

So CCD can be used with video. My mistake.

Then why did all DSLR's change over to CMOS before live view and video could be offered?

I understood that CCD used more power, and got too hot for video?

So is anyone making large format video CCD or are they just the small sensors?
12-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #27
Banned

Original Poster
BTW the Pentax X70 with CCD sensor and 24x zoom does 720p HD video like the Canon SX20.