Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #1

choosing aperture for video using old manual lenses

is this possible?

12-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #2

manual aperture on manual lens

yes it is possible but the camera stays in auto iso and auto shutter ... you have to exposure lock the camera then make any desired adjustments to the aperture
12-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I've been told to get a flashlight so I can 'trick' the camera into thinking there's enough light, then lock exposure, then adjust the manual lens.

I get my first real manual lens later this week, so I'll see how it works then.
12-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey greenless, speaking of manual setups, are those hoseclamps I see on your lens:

Cool setup btw. What monitor is that?

12-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #5

Yup, them be hose clamps. I'm trying to improve on this guy's solution:

The monitor is just some 7'' varizoom sd screen I had laying around the office. I should be getting a better one for x-mas.

I'm adjusting a flash bracket to hold the monitor and make room for a sound device. Should be a pretty decent setup when it's all done!
12-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by greenless Quote
...I'm adjusting a flash bracket to hold the monitor and make room for a sound device. Should be a pretty decent setup when it's all done!
Interesting. Pls open a thread here to show off your setup once done. Lots of folks will be interested, methinks.
12-08-2009, 06:14 AM   #7

beware of that solution

either on the DVuser or cinema5d forums there are reports of damaged lenses with that rig ..... so just be very careful about how tight you set that up

Yup, them be hose clamps. I'm trying to improve on this guy's solution:

The monitor is just some 7'' varizoom sd screen I had laying around the office. I should be getting a better one for x-mas.

I'm adjusting a flash bracket to hold the monitor and make room for a sound device. Should be a pretty decent setup when it's all done!

12-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote
either on the DVuser or cinema5d forums there are reports of damaged lenses with that rig ..... so just be very careful about how tight you set that up
That's interesting. I didn't have to get it very tight at all for it to work properly.
12-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #9

yes it is possible but the camera stays in auto iso and auto shutter ... you have to exposure lock the camera then make any desired adjustments to the aperture
I got my first manual 35mm lens in today (f/2.8 135mm) and it's not working with the manual aperture ring.

The camera asks me for the focal length of the lens when I turn it on, but that's the only real difference I'm seeing.

Turning the aperture ring does nothing to my exposure whether I've locked it in-camera or not.
12-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #10

only after recording

you can only make changes after you start recording

when in video mode you are essentially in a special mode of live view. Any time you make a change to the aperture the camera will compensate so you can still view the image on the screen. So the order is .....

Install manual lens and turn the camera to video mode. start recording your subject then lock exposure. Once exposure has been locked then you can adjust your aperture to fine tune exposure. If you do not lock exposure the camera will adjust ISO or shutter to what it thinks is the correct exposure.

Its a PITA but is the same method you had to use when the 5D originally came out.

I got my first manual 35mm lens in today (f/2.8 135mm) and it's not working with the manual aperture ring.

The camera asks me for the focal length of the lens when I turn it on, but that's the only real difference I'm seeing.

Turning the aperture ring does nothing to my exposure whether I've locked it in-camera or not.
12-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #11

Hmmmmm.... gotta try it that way, then!
12-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Another way with PK-M lenses is to drill a second locking hole so the lens turns only halfway into the mount before locking into place... This way, the aperture ring will have an immediate effect on the blades, just like m42 lenses.
12-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #13

you can only make changes after you start recording

when in video mode you are essentially in a special mode of live view. Any time you make a change to the aperture the camera will compensate so you can still view the image on the screen. So the order is .....

Install manual lens and turn the camera to video mode. start recording your subject then lock exposure. Once exposure has been locked then you can adjust your aperture to fine tune exposure. If you do not lock exposure the camera will adjust ISO or shutter to what it thinks is the correct exposure.

Its a PITA but is the same method you had to use when the 5D originally came out.
I followed all of these steps and my exposure didn't change at all.

Where does the aperture need to be set to start off? Mine goes from 2.8 to 22.
05-16-2010, 03:05 AM   #14

how do you put another (bigger) screen on a KX?
05-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #15
Banned

Photos: Gallery
That looks great, aperture and fine adjusting sharp!

Videoscreen with the HDMI or the mini usb to a 7 or 8 inch screen? What screen is that?