Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
how is the sound in the k-x?

I am considering getting my SO a dslr since she has taken an interest in shooting types of photographs that are too limiting with her P&S cam. However, she also wants a decent video camera even more, and I want one that will take nice video for playing on our 720p 50" plasma set.

Enter the new Pentax's, which at first glance seem to fit the bill, the k7 is out of my price range so it's the k-x I'd look at. My main concern is sound quality, since the k-x has no external mic capability, how is the native sound with it? I have currently a kodak v1253 p&s that shoots surprisingly not bad 720p video, but anything louder than a conversation is distorted so much its painful. Is the native sound on the k-x good enough? Or does a slight wind etc. make it hard to listen to?

The other concern is MF, which in some ways is a good thing since you have full control, but for some things AF would be nice. I see Canon offers full AF with their new dslr but I'd sooner stick to Pentax, since I have a k10d already and several lenses for it. Also have a pile of old manual lenses, curious to see how the video would look shot through my 50mm prime screw mount super takumar, which takes by far the clearest and sharpest film pics out of all my slr lenses.

thanks

ps. when shooting video, is it possible to hook up to a monitor/tv while in video mode so you can watch on screen what you are shooting? My old sony camcorders allowed this..

Last edited by Glen_S; 12-09-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added ps. item
12-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
1 - The sound isn't horrible, even with a slight wind, but that's only if you don't touch the lens. It'll pick up EVERY movement the lens makes (zooming, focus, etc.). It's really good for a scratch track or for home movies, but any kind of serious filmmaking will need to do sync sound.

2 - You can preview video to an external monitor while shooting, but it will kill the camera's LCD live-view when you do so. Also, it's in SD AND the camera doesn't come with the cable for doing this (I had an extra cable from an Optio W60).

As for the picture, though, it's great. Your 50mm will make you drool!