Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any good K7 videos out there?

And by good I don't mean "test videos" which is all I can find on Youtube. Want I want to see is a professionally made video (doesn't mean is has to be made by professionals), not some shots of monkeys, babies, streets or musicians. Has anybody actually made an artistic work or does the apparent lack of any indicate that this is afterall just another camera gimmick?? Please prove me wrong!

12-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Banned

The K-7 video mode is just another camera gimmick because it does not have a Canon or Nikon brand label on it. I don't think you have a clue what a camera is IMHO.
12-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The fact that no one uses it to shoot commercials or shorts does not mean it's a gimmick. It just means that the people that make serious videos tend to choose equipment that serves the purpose better. Here's one that I just shot, it at least shows that the K-7 is capable of high quality HD video. Anything else that you are expecting in a good quality video is truly coming from the videographer/director/producer or a video, NOT the camera. And just because professionals don't use the K7 for their videos does not mean it's a gimmick.

After all, if that were the case, all Pentax products would be gimmicks, because hardly any pro photogs actually use them for work.
12-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/69903-my-take-k-7-...-cambodia.html

Diego has made others as well

12-12-2009, 07:18 AM   #5

K-7 Video

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
And by good I don't mean "test videos" which is all I can find on Youtube. Want I want to see is a professionally made video (doesn't mean is has to be made by professionals), not some shots of monkeys, babies, streets or musicians. Has anybody actually made an artistic work or does the apparent lack of any indicate that this is afterall just another camera gimmick?? Please prove me wrong!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2da7qqK-4c[/YT]

Hi Ozlizard,

You may have seen this video already but I believe it shows off some of the K-7's capabilities.
Note the very fair complexion of the woman and how well the K-7 handles exposure during filming.
Great job Pentax!

I'm looking forward to having video on my next Pentax DSLR. I have a K100D and a K20D now but really don't want another APS-C camera.
I'm hoping Pentax has video on its rumored upcoming FF DSLR!

Regards,

A.
12-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The K-7 video mode is just another camera gimmick because it does not have a Canon or Nikon brand label on
That's just what I am trying to disprove (even though I don't personally want video on a DSLR). I know someone who recently bought a Canon 5D Mk2 and was raving about the inredible videos on Youtube. So when I had a look there was some very well made videos on there and that got me wondering how the quality of the K7 video stacked up AND had anybody done anything comparable. BTW I have been using Pentax since the mid 70's and Digital gear since 1998 so I do know which end of the camera to look through.

Just had a look at some K7 vids which look pretty good until you go full screen, is the quality of these embedded clips suitable for full screen (what about 42" LCD?)? Maybe I am expecting too much. I just don't know what purpose having video on a DSLR is unless the quality is superb. A camera like the K20, K7,5D mk2 etc are considered semi pro (at least), not what I would use to only take family snaps or pics of the dog, and if that is what the video is for then ok.

Last edited by ozlizard; 12-13-2009 at 01:08 AM.
12-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
Banned

Why are you trying to compare Pentax DSLRs in the $600-$1000 range to a FF 5D MKII that cost 3x as much. And BTW I think you should stick with a consumer camcorder to shoot videos since you already made up your mind .

12-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
Dom

Just had a look at some K7 vids which look pretty good until you go full screen, is the quality of these embedded clips suitable for full screen (what about 42" LCD?)? Maybe I am expecting too much. I just don't know what purpose having video on a DSLR is unless the quality is superb. A camera like the K20, K7,5D mk2 etc are considered semi pro (at least), not what I would use to only take family snaps or pics of the dog, and if that is what the video is for then ok.
Any full screen vid from YouTube looks crappy. I've got a K7 and have a had a quick play with the video, on a 23" monitor it good. Pentax also has a much small market share than conikon so there is going to be more photos and videos out there in internet land.

As my signature says 'Real photographers use a camera!'
12-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

That's just what I am trying to disprove (even though I don't personally want video on a DSLR). I know someone who recently bought a Canon 5D Mk2 and was raving about the inredible videos on Youtube. So when I had a look there was some very well made videos on there and that got me wondering how the quality of the K7 video stacked up AND had anybody done anything comparable. BTW I have been using Pentax since the mid 70's and Digital gear since 1998 so I do know which end of the camera to look through.

And there was one videographer selling his Eos 5D Mark II, to get the Pentax instead.

If the K7 is your first DSLR, I’m sure you’re gonna have your hands full, before you even move into the realm of video.
12-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i Don't shoot video of any kind (not even on my mobile!) and I don't have a K7, I have a K20 and are very happy with it. I just wanted to show my friend that the K7 video quality was "up there" with the rest as I get tired of his Canon is the best at everything attittude.
12-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-video-forum/81454-video-pros-take-k7.html
12-14-2009, 12:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

i Don't shoot video of any kind (not even on my mobile!) and I don't have a K7, I have a K20 and are very happy with it. I just wanted to show my friend that the K7 video quality was "up there" with the rest as I get tired of his Canon is the best at everything attittude.
Well then here is a link for you :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/49674-fate-one-5d-mkii.html

and another video :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/72112-another-adve...ing-video.html

All the early DSLR Pro work, with e.g. Eos 1D or Nikon D2X, were done with crop sensor. And there are an awful lot of good pictures from the time.
Most oft the tech discussions are silly, you can take mavelous shots with almost any DSLR nowadays.
I’ve seen a touring world exhibition of WWF images in 2 x 2 meters size, from crop cam and professional Canon photographer
12-14-2009, 04:40 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would echo Inferno10's link above. Definitely professional quality. And an honest appraisal of the camera too.

NaCl(prolly as good as anytning I've seen from any DSLR)H2O
12-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Just bought Pentax K7 and I can only say that picture quality is a dream! I cannot explain the reason exactly but it is color, contrast and I don´t know but it looks so organic, natural and filmic...
Hard decision but I´m going now to sell my 5D MK II. In comparison the look of my 5D is more "plastic". No Picture style adjustment can help, because video mode is different from the really nice 21 Megapix RAW footage coming from phto modus...
cinema5D.com • View topic - Pentax K7 - a new star is born !