Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Anyone knows any software to read the metadata of video?

hi
I m a K-x user, I m happy in general.
I wish to know the combination of shutter speed /ISO in video mode
i notice that if u lock the exposure from a bright situation , it';s running at faster shutter speed, and even after u adjust the exposure compensation to 2 stop down, the shutter speed seems the same but ISO goes up.
and if u set up from dark situation, i notice the shutter speed is lower and ISo is higher, after the adjustment, seems the ISO goes down and shutter remain low.
in other word, u might get same exposure but with high ISO/fast shutter or low ISO/slow shutter.

can anyone know any way to read out the exposure combinations from the camera or video??
I set Aperture/focus at manual.

someone says i could first take a shot at M in say 200ISO and dial to video mode, the video will stay the same. can anyone confirm this?? i find it no evidence to proof this.

last may be a run of from low to high EV and see how the video perform??
i thinka spinning disc can tell the speed and the noise can tell the ISO
thanks
K.M. Lo

12-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry but there is no EXIF equivalent in video. At least not at this level. What you can get is the data rate and color information, but no information of the camera's settings. At least not in the format that the K-x writes the video as.

Professional encoding formats such as DVCProHD (Panasonic) have some of the abilities you're describing, although still not complete.
12-29-2009, 04:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
Sorry but there is no EXIF equivalent in video. At least not at this level. What you can get is the data rate and color information, but no information of the camera's settings. At least not in the format that the K-x writes the video as.
AFAIK, the MJPEG AVI container used by Pentax supports a full EXIF block. But it isn't written except for the vendor id (Pentax). This is unfortunate, of course.
12-29-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

To my knowledge and according to wikipedia,

QuoteQuote:
The Exif standard has no provision for video files.
But I would be very interested in seeing a similar functionality in video. I think some HDV and DV camcorders were able to somehow write this data into the stream although special software was required to read it.

In my professional experience with broadcast cameras and workflows, only limited information exists in the video.

12-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
To my knowledge and according to wikipedia,
So, you believe Wikipedia more than me?

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

supporting AVI (RIFF Tags) and Phil even recognizes "PENTAX AVI Tags"!!

-> Pentax Tags

which should include Makernotes with ISO etc.

I tried to read'em out but the info is missing in K-7 files with initial firmware (didn't try again yet). Probably only used by Pentax P&S but I don't know.
12-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
my major concern is shutter speed/ISO

Hi to Falk
ur report is very informative!!

I m trying all i can to find out the combinations, so i can avoid :
1/ too high ISO
2/ too high shutter speed

i did some test on Ev 10 ( i set my incident meter iso200, then get EV ) the pentax started to have flicker on FL tubes. so may be it helps to work around to get the shutter speed.

i also did a test on EV7, on a grey card. it'; shows very smooth.

it's seems the video mode sets only 2 shutter speed either high or low. i dont see particular slow shutter speed in low light, but sure see high speed at bright situations.

in short, i set exposure and use exposure compensation to adjust.

may be use HV20 way to fix it with a LCD on my mobile phone.

K.M.Lo
12-30-2009, 01:13 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

-> Pentax Tags

I tried to read'em out but the info is missing in K-7 files with initial firmware (didn't try again yet). Probably only used by Pentax P&S but I don't know.
This worked great, specially with the GUI. Thank you.

I recorded some in almost moonlight condition with the K-x. It seems it was at ISO 1600 only. Does recording really get affected by the AUTO ISO setting you set in other modes? I checked, I had set it to max 1600. I have to test this further.

12-30-2009, 01:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

Excellent Falk!
PENTAX K-7 AVI's are read and the info is shown in the 'Maker notes' tab of the ExifTool GUI

Thanks for that link.
Attachment 50520

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 03-21-2013 at 10:29 PM.
12-30-2009, 01:39 AM   #9

This is about the K-x.

The value AE_ISO changes for me, I checked some footage from last night, it was at 167 when filming the moon, 1600 for others where it was very dark, so it's not the maks ISO available, as it also was 617 for a third file.

So I changed max ISO for AUTO ISO to 6400 and tested in a dark room. I first tested with max ISO for AUTO ISO set to 200, and there was no change between the footage with max ISO set to 200 or 6400. But in those files the AE_ISO value said 200 and 6400 respectively.

Anyone got any idea which value shows the ISO used when recording?

And can the K-x use higher than 1600 when recording video?
12-30-2009, 05:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

-> Pentax Tags

I stand corrected then. Thanks for the link!
12-30-2009, 05:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Excellent Falk!
PENTAX K-7 AVI's are read and the info is shown in the 'Maker notes' tab of the ExifTool GUI
I tried to read'em out but the info is missing in K-7 files with initial firmware (didn't try again yet).
You let me check again and yes, the Maker notes are now filled with plenty if information. Good we have talked about it again
QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
This is about the K-x.
Anyone got any idea which value shows the ISO used when recording?
And can the K-x use higher than 1600 when recording video?
Hi netrex,

to be able to read out any EXIF data out of recorded Pentax AVI is a world's first! You watched it live.

Now, what does this data mean?

E.g., one night shot of mine says ISO1600 and 1/13s. I doubt that it really can record at 1/13s with 30fps.

So, the AEXXX info seems to record the "advice" given by the metering system to the video controller. Also, in a video w/o AE-L, which part of the video metering is meant?

I fear that the video maker otes need a bit of research before we can really make use of it. I suspect that the "adviced" AEXXX values are mapped to some fixed ranges used by the video controller.

AFAIK, the (Auto-)ISO setting has NO influence on the actual recording and I believe to have found that the camera's unextended ISO range is always used.