Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
I see no visible noise in your vid.
if you look full screen you can see the background is really green and pixelated... and its not compression because thats what the full HD vid looks like... it's flashing...

01-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by limabean Quote
if you look full screen you can see the background is really green and pixelated... and its not compression because thats what the full HD vid looks like... it's flashing...
I would think easy on the curves or noise reduction, and that goes away. It's so very dark compared to the light regions, it's not even a problem.
01-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #18

Original Poster
bought a pentax fa 1.4 today... problem solved... even with 1600 iso settings (assuming by checking the auto functions in still mode) the footage doesn't look grainy at all... must have been shooting 3200-6400 the whole time...
01-18-2010, 01:24 AM   #19

post up a new video for us to compare.

01-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #20

Neat Video

I just wanted to add that I recently tried the "Neat Video" plugin for Final Cut and I am really impressed. I find myself wanting to shoot in low light conditions often, and even if I had the ability to limit exposure in video, I'd probably still want to push it to 6400 sometimes. I find it to perform even better than noise ninja does on stills. Im not one for paying for plugins, but I'll likely pick this one up. It is leaps and bounds better than the free alternatives.
01-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do the NR settings effect video? When it starts and NR level?
01-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #22

Original Poster
I think I might have spoken a bit too soon on this... maybe just got caught up in the excitement...

Although it was a big improvement, as going from 6400 on your kit lens to 800 on a f1.4 would be, I still notice issues with this thing in terms of noise. After looking at the footage again and doing a few more tests, I really notice that this camera can't seem to shoot dark areas at all. I would shoot video with AE-L under conditions that would put the camera in ISO 200 and then if I shot in a dark area (with the AE-L active), it would still come up really noisy... and then I would shoot in ISO 1600 and it would look essentially the same... which is tell me, even though there is noise that can be created with the auto ISO'ing, it's not completely the issue. It's like there is some shadow compensation that activates. I checked my highlight and shadow compensation, thinking that might be the issue, but it was turned off... but you can't access anything like that in the video modes.

I dunno... kinda disappointing... I'll probably keep the new lens anyway though...

edit:

I was wondering... right now I'm using a Class 4 memory card. It runs at 15mbps... I was thinking that should suffice but I was wondering if that could potentially be an issue.

Last edited by limabean; 01-19-2010 at 11:23 PM. Reason: adding a question...
01-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by limabean Quote
I think I might have spoken a bit too soon on this... maybe just got caught up in the excitement...

Although it was a big improvement, as going from 6400 on your kit lens to 800 on a f1.4 would be, I still notice issues with this thing in terms of noise. After looking at the footage again and doing a few more tests, I really notice that this camera can't seem to shoot dark areas at all. I would shoot video with AE-L under conditions that would put the camera in ISO 200 and then if I shot in a dark area (with the AE-L active), it would still come up really noisy... and then I would shoot in ISO 1600 and it would look essentially the same... which is tell me, even though there is noise that can be created with the auto ISO'ing, it's not completely the issue. It's like there is some shadow compensation that activates. I checked my highlight and shadow compensation, thinking that might be the issue, but it was turned off... but you can't access anything like that in the video modes.

I dunno... kinda disappointing... I'll probably keep the new lens anyway though...

edit:

I was wondering... right now I'm using a Class 4 memory card. It runs at 15mbps... I was thinking that should suffice but I was wondering if that could potentially be an issue.
Perhaps there's an issue with AE-L being overridden in video mode. I can't find anything to actually confirm the ISO of a recorded video.

Completely indoors, minimal lighting, my friend shot this with the Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 at its fastest. Color was slightly corrected. Auto ISO

Video Here
01-22-2010, 05:30 AM   #24

@limabean
I do not agree with you. I can shot iso-less movies using my new 50mm smc-A F1.7 lens.
Please check the videos below. I think they are great or is there smth that I cannot see??

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fylWJGPdZU[/YT]

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q016orYWgAs&feature=channel[/YT]