Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #16
MadDawgJ

Falk,
Sorry, you are correct I did not clarify what the issues are. From what I have heard from the Engineers doing our testing the current cards will only function occasionally in the dSLRs. From what was explained to me, they will lock up causing the camera to repeatedly need to be powered on and off till they will operate again, and at some point this required power cycling may result in corrupted images. That is why we do not advise using them.
The biggest advantage of the new X2 platforms, starting with the Pro X2 on pre-order now, is that since we where able to design and develop it from the ground up, we are no longer stuck using the very top end of the SD Card specs, which is what has caused issues with some cameras and our current cards. This is why the new cards will be compatible with more cameras. I'll try to keep you guys posted on what we find in testing of the new cards.

netrx - The cards will scan to see if they have any files to upload, and if they do, then they will start looking for a network to join and start uploading, so they are only connected when they need to upload, or when verifying it's settings from our server. This is handled automatically, but there is software that needs to run on the computer to receive the images, mainly to authorize to the card to send them so that your photos don' get sent to someone else computer.

-Justin

01-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MadDawgJ Quote
From what I have heard from the Engineers doing our testing the current cards will only function occasionally in the dSLRs. From what was explained to me, they will lock up causing the camera to repeatedly need to be powered on and off till they will operate again, and at some point this required power cycling may result in corrupted images. That is why we do not advise using them.
The biggest advantage of the new X2 platforms, starting with the Pro X2 on pre-order now, is that since we where able to design and develop it from the ground up, we are no longer stuck using the very top end of the SD Card specs, which is what has caused issues with some cameras and our current cards. This is why the new cards will be compatible with more cameras. I'll try to keep you guys posted on what we find in testing of the new cards.
Justin, this is the info I was expecting. Thanks a lot.

Let's hope you find a work-around or maybe, suggest a firmware fix to Pentax if your engineers understand the exact nature of problem. Looks like Pentax' and your firmware don't fit together (yet)
01-21-2010, 06:37 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
netrx - The cards will scan to see if they have any files to upload, and if they do, then they will start looking for a network to join and start uploading, so they are only connected when they need to upload, or when verifying it's settings from our server. This is handled automatically, but there is software that needs to run on the computer to receive the images, mainly to authorize to the card to send them so that your photos don' get sent to someone else computer.

-Justin
So it copies over whenever it has checked for files and finds them? I like that idea. What is the range of these cards? I'm thinking if it will work for weddings and other events where I might leave a laptop running with Wi-Fi enabled, and I never have to stop shooting because of a full memory card.

Also, will the card empty the images from the card or will I have to format it? I would prefer having to format or delete them so I can control when I lose them form the card.

Sorry for all the questions
01-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #19
MadDawgJ

"Let's hope you find a work-around or maybe..."
We are a small fish in Pentax's pond, that is why we are so excited about the new platform since it should fix many of the compatibility issues that we have seen in our original cards

"What is the range of these cards? "
Our current cards get a 30 to 40 ft range indoors, but the X2s, since they are using 802.11n should have even more range (again, waiting on testing to finish to have actual info)

"I'm thinking if it will work for weddings and other events where I might leave a laptop running with Wi-Fi enabled, and I never have to stop shooting because of a full memory card."
Bet of all, no more people tripping over your tethering cords knocking tripods, cameras and computers over

"Also, will the card empty the images from the card or will I have to format it?"
That will be your call, you can enable Endless Memory where you can set the card to start deleting the images that have already uploaded once the card gets to the preset capacity (25, 50, or 75%) or you can leave that feature off and have full control of when the images are removed.

01-23-2010, 01:48 AM   #20

"Let's hope you find a work-around or maybe..."
We are a small fish in Pentax's pond, that is why we are so excited about the new platform since it should fix many of the compatibility issues that we have seen in our original cards

"What is the range of these cards? "
Our current cards get a 30 to 40 ft range indoors, but the X2s, since they are using 802.11n should have even more range (again, waiting on testing to finish to have actual info)

"I'm thinking if it will work for weddings and other events where I might leave a laptop running with Wi-Fi enabled, and I never have to stop shooting because of a full memory card."
Bet of all, no more people tripping over your tethering cords knocking tripods, cameras and computers over

"Also, will the card empty the images from the card or will I have to format it?"
That will be your call, you can enable Endless Memory where you can set the card to start deleting the images that have already uploaded once the card gets to the preset capacity (25, 50, or 75%) or you can leave that feature off and have full control of when the images are removed.
Sounds very good. I'll be buying one of these when they're out (and I can afford it :P)

Good job!
01-23-2010, 03:59 AM   #21

Oh, I have one last question that a friend brought up.

Do you need a router inbetween here or can the card connect directly to the computer that has Wi-Fi?
01-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #22
MadDawgJ

The Pro Cards support Ad-Hoc Networks (device to device, i.e. card to laptop) but the other cards will need a router to upload the photos.

01-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #23
Banned

Original Poster
Pentax Optio H90 and I-10 are Eye-Fi connected

QuoteQuote:
The H90 can shoot 720p HD movies and is optimized to work with Eye-Fi wireless SD cards.

Eye-Fi connected: optimised for use with Eye-Fi wireless memory cards
Pentax Optio H90: Digital Photography Review

Pentax Optio i10 looks back to Auto 110: Digital Photography Review
02-03-2010, 04:01 AM   #24

I eagerly await news of the tesing.
02-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So....if you guys need a beta tester, let me know...just for a discounted X2
I'm excited about the speed improvements in the X2...should make RAW support usable now...
03-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Eye-Fi Pro X2 is now shipping.

Those on here from Eye-fi: Any info on why the K7 is not compatible?
I am extremely disappointed! (probably not much you can do about it, but will probably have to switch camera brands due to lack of tethering options)

Anyone planning to order and give it a try anyway?

Last edited by amoringello; 03-12-2010 at 04:12 PM.
03-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #27
Forum Member

Eye-Fi Pro with K10D and K-7

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Eye-Fi Pro X2 is now shipping.

Those on here from Eye-fi: Any info on why the K7 is not compatible?
I am extremely disappointed! (probably not much you can do about it, but will probably have to switch camera brands due to lack of tethering options)

Anyone planning to order and give it a try anyway?
I have an Eye-Fi Pro (not the new Pro X2). I was a beta tester for the Pro. I have used it on both a K10D and a K-7. I took about 1000 shots with the K10D and Eye-Fi Pro, and never experienced a corrupt image. With the K-7, occasionally (perhaps every 100 shots) the image will be corrupted on the card. If you preview the image on the K-7 it will say it's corrupt, but if you don't preview it you won't know until you try to view it on the computer. So I only use the Eye-Fi when I'm in a situation where I can check the image and re-shoot if necessary.

Occasionally I've had to power the camera off and on to get the images to start transmitting over wi-fi. Usually it works just fine.

I mentioned in the review that it was a hassle to change the K10D power saving options. The K-7 is much better: the power settings menu is easier to get to, and it's possible to set it to never automatically power off. So from this standpoint the K-7 works better than the K10D.

The Eye-Fi Pro is 802.11g. Transmitting a K10D raw file takes about 20 seconds. A K-7 raw file takes 5 or 10 seconds longer. I never tried video with this card and the K-7 - I doubt it would be very successful given that it's a relatively slow card (slower than my Sandisk Ultra II) and many K-7 users have had trouble with video and slow SDHC cards.

I use the Eye-Fi Pro as a tethered solution for the K-7. It works OK given that I know its limitations.

The Eye-Fi Pro X2 has the potential of being a better solution - faster 802.11n, class 6 speed, larger capacity. Hopefully it ends up being fully compatible with the K-7 and K-x.
03-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Hmmm, corrupting images on the card does not sound like a mere compatibility issue. It sounds like the cards are simply bad news. I am hoping eye-Fi will shed some light on whats going on, so far with the total lack of response, it just seems like they may not have their act together and don't want to admit the product failures.
03-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #29
Banned

Original Poster
Pentax Optio I-10, H90, W90 and X90

I am sure on an Eye-Fi connected Pentax camera you should not have a problem.

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Optio I-10, H90, W90 and X90

When used with an Eye-Fi Card, the Pentax Optio I-10, H90, W90 and X90 offer the ability to enable/disable Eye-Fi Card WiFi via the camera menu, and stays on until your media upload is complete.
Is the Eye-Fi card compatible with my camera? | Eye-Fi
03-21-2010, 03:36 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I wonder if these cards be a workaround for the lack of tethering support in the 645D..