Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
Banned

Wireless video uploads with Eye-Fi Pro X2

QuoteQuote:
Eye-Fi Pro X2 – Faster than Ever
The 8GB SDHC Eye-Fi Pro X2 is powered by Eye-Fi’s proprietary X2 engine which includes an exclusively designed chip and an 802.11n radio. The X2 engine enables greater flexibility in memory capacity and faster read write/speeds, achieving Class 6 performance. The 802.11n radio and a new antenna design enable faster wireless uploads and increased Wi-Fi range, and still support the 802.11b and 802.11g standards.

The Eye-Fi Pro X2 wirelessly uploads JPEG and RAW images and videos from the camera to computer and one of 25 online photo and video sharing sites, such as Flickr, Picasa or Facebook. It also allows users to create an ad hoc connection directly to their computer to wirelessly upload photos and videos while away from a wireless router. Or users can upload away from home at more than 10,000 Wayport and open hotspots. Pro X2 automatically geotags photos with information about where the images were taken.
It is available for pre-order on Eye-Fi memory cards: wireless photo and video uploads straight from your camera to your computer & the web. and at select online retailers such as Amazon.com for an MSRP of $149.99.

“More and more we’re seeing smart devices like the Eye-Fi card that enable a better user experience. With the volume of photos and videos that are taken every day, consumers want a fast, convenient way to get their images off their camera to their computer and the Web for further processing and sharing,” said Alan Bullock of InfoTrends. “Eye-Fi allows consumers to add these capabilities for far less than the cost of a wireless camera.”

New Eye-Fi Pro X2: simply the most powerful memory card ever made | Eye-Fi
Amazon.com: Eye-Fi 8GB Pro X2 SDHC Class 6 Wireless Flash Memory Card EYE-FI-8PC: Electronics

QuoteQuote:
How Automatic Geotagging Happens
Using its built-in Wi-Fi, the Eye-Fi card locates any surrounding Wi-Fi networks as you take pictures. Then, the Eye-Fi Service translates that data into geographic location and adds the information to each picture (in the EXIF data) as it is delivered to the web or your computer. It's as easy as that. You snap the shot and the photo shows up labeled with the place at which it was taken.
http://www.eye.fi/products/prox2

Last edited by jogiba; 01-05-2010 at 07:55 AM.
01-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
Banned

Original Poster
Eye-Fi Pro X2 video

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNT9eqNe4NQ&feature=player_embedded[/yt]
01-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
I pre-ordered the card but cancelled after I did a search for Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB SDHC compatibility with the Pentax K-7 . I ordered the Casio EX-H10 that has a 10x 24-240mm (35mm eqiv.) wide angle zoom and 720p HD video mode for my brother last month that has an on-screen Eye-Fi card indicator so I will tell him about the card.
Is the Eye-Fi card compatible with my camera? | Eye-Fi
01-13-2010, 05:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB SDHC compatibility with the Pentax K-7 .
The incompatibility with K10D/K20D/K-7 is a strange thing as they only require SDHC compatibility. I could believe that the K-7's metal shell shields Wifi. But K10D/K20D? Maybe the cards are too big?

Maybe the info is wrong and another test would be a worthy try?

01-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds interesting. Wonder what speeds is possible to attain.
01-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The incompatibility with K10D/K20D/K-7 is a strange thing as they only require SDHC compatibility. I could believe that the K-7's metal shell shields Wifi. But K10D/K20D? Maybe the cards are too big?

Maybe the info is wrong and another test would be a worthy try?
If the card was too big for the K-7 it would also be too big for any other camera with SD/SDHC slot.
From the company support:

QuoteQuote:
Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB SDHC compatibility

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Tim) - 01/11/2010 11:52 AM
Hi,
The K-7 is not an Eye-Fi compatible camera.

Thanks,
-Tim
01-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would have to bet on EMI hardening/shielding effect from the metal chassis.
Need to leave the door open with a little 1/4 wave antenna sticking out from the card, or a attached re-radiator made from aluminum tape.
Did Pentax mix carbon in the plastic used for outer shell?. That would work well for signal attenuation also.!

Cheers, Mike.
01-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I found this:
Beta Testing the Eye-Fi Pro - a RAW deal? | blandcanyon

It is a bit old, but sounds like there may be an issue of Pentax cameras powering down during transfer from the card. If the camera doesn't know the card is busy doing its own thing, the camera might cut off the juice. That would lead to a rather frustrating experience to say the least.

I'd be really interested to hear real life experience with release versions of the cards. Now that I have the K7, I miss tethering for certain jobs. Having the eye-fi would help solve the important issues. (assuming data transfer is reasonably fast)

01-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I asked EyeFi Customer support why the K-7 isn't supported.

The response was not useful. I made sure that customer support management had an eye on the issue but still no useful answer: "not supported, for no known reason". Customer support has become a real joke these days.
01-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks. I've wasted enough money on companies that do not care about their customers.

I would have purchased several cards for the cameras I take on jobs, but now I can put that towards some other equipment. :-)
01-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #11
MadDawgJ

Falk,
Actually that is not exactly what Michal told you in his emails. As he explained we have not yet tested that particular model, but due to the issues that the Pentax dSLRs experience with the current Eye-Fi Cards we would not recomend trying them. However we are starting to test the new Pro X2 Cards, which since they where designed from the ground up, will be compatible with more camera models. Once testing is done on the Pentax SLRs our compatibility website will be updated. Personally, I expect there to be no issues with Pentaxs cameras and the new card, but untill we test it we will not say for sure.

Amoringello - check our forums, check Twitter, check around, we do care about our customers and go the extra step whenever possible.

Justin
Eye-Fi Technical Support Representative
01-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Well, maybe I should apologize for the hasty words.
I have dealt with several "reputable" companies in just the past year that turned out to simply not give a damn. It simply seems to be the way things are going lately...

It is good to hear from someone about the state of the new cards.
I will certainly check up on the forums as I am excited to have a potential solution for the lack of tethering.
I'll try to not get my hopes up too high, but that will re-open doors to events where I would otherwise need to rent or even make a complete switch to another brand.
01-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #13

Shame on Pentax for the generous amounts of metal used in the skeleton construction of their bodies!

I was very tempted by Google's $50/year offer for 250G of storage plus a free Eye-Fi card, with free hot-spot access and geotagging as long as you kept the google account.
01-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by MadDawgJ Quote
Falk,
Actually that is not exactly what Michal told you in his emails. As he explained we have not yet tested that particular model, but due to the issues that the Pentax dSLRs experience with the current Eye-Fi Cards we would not recomend trying them. However we are starting to test the new Pro X2 Cards, which since they where designed from the ground up, will be compatible with more camera models. Once testing is done on the Pentax SLRs our compatibility website will be updated. Personally, I expect there to be no issues with Pentaxs cameras and the new card, but untill we test it we will not say for sure.

Amoringello - check our forums, check Twitter, check around, we do care about our customers and go the extra step whenever possible.

Justin
Eye-Fi Technical Support Representative
It will be interesting to see if it will work on the K-x. It would be nice for studio works, weddings etc..

Do these cards transmit constantly, or just when told to? Is there software on the PC side that controls this?
01-20-2010, 01:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadDawgJ Quote
Falk,
Justin,

as it seems, my last mail triggered a search for the forum post which I quoted. Great! It means that you do care about sales

As for what exactly Michal told me in emails, I'll append them to my post. I don't see where this differs from my summary. Esp., I don't see where Michal provided more info as is already on your website. Note that this thread started out of a cancelled order for a K-7, not a K-x.

BTW, Justin, you fail as well to answer my original question to customer support, i.e. the nature of problem with K10D, K20D and K-7. i.e., why cards won't work in above (SDHC) cameras which work in most other cameras? You know, without any further info, we cannot guess if there would be work-arounds, like keeping the card door (a bit) open (possible with some models).

But I am glad that you now explain that a new card with better expected compatibilty properties is being developed. Michal did not provide this information.
QuoteOriginally posted by Michal (Eye-Fi Customer Care, 3 emails):
Hello,

Card has been tested with Pentax K-7 and unfortunately shown various compatibility issues that will not allow you to benefit from Eye-Fi card functionalities and you can expect issues when using the card.

In regards to K-x card has not been tested with this camera for compatibility. If the camera is SD/SDHC compatible you shouldn't experience any problems, but if you do please let us know and we will investigate.
--
The cameras that are stated as "incompatible" on our website shown various issues while using our card as storage device. Please accept my apologies but I can't provide you anymore details.

In regards to Pentax k-x, this configuration has not been tested yet. And as stated before feel free to contact us if you will experience any problems with this setup.
--
My answer is based on the test that have been performed on specific camera models.

If the card is incompatible with specific model of the camera that means that it shouldn't be used with it. I am sorry that you find this answer unhelpful. In regards to untested camera of course we cannot give 100% compatibility guarantee therefore any case of incompatibility with untested camera will be investigated.

The case has been consulted with my manager and as stated before I cannot give you any further details.

Please feel free to contact us again if you have questions or would like further assistance.

Kind regards,
Michal
Eye-Fi Customer Care

Last edited by falconeye; 01-20-2010 at 02:02 AM.