Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Any experience to share on using MF lens for video

I have used all AF lens and tried out short video clips on Pentax K-x white. Some amateur embedded clips in my Sea Lions Live show in Seaworld of San Diego. As many know, once you start the recording, you can't change the AF. And I used two lenses in traveling with Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 and Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 and both don't have the quick shift focus feature. I was a bit off focus in the White Beluga clip when shot indoor with the Sigma but I was not able to adjust at the spot.

I have been thinking that the Pentax DA lenses with quick shift focus will come in handy as one can adjust the focus manually. I tried it last night in using a plain manual focus prime and result is not too bad but I don't have it uploaded.

Can someone share their experience in using manual focus lens or DA lenses with quick shift focus for video? And what is your favorite lens for video on K-7 and K-x, please share your choices and reason.

Thanks,
Hin

01-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #2

Hi

I basically prefer manual lenses in video, and regardless if i'm shootin AF or MF lens I turn body to MF prior shooting video, much easier that way I think.

One interestin feature if you have old cheap manual lenses is to remove the "ball" inside aperture ring which makes the "cliks" so you can adjust aperture during video smoothly. It's fun for some special purposes and artistic stuff. It's really easy to remove the pin and to put it back.

just my little thoughts

-Juho
01-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaitas Quote
Hi

I basically prefer manual lenses in video, and regardless if i'm shootin AF or MF lens I turn body to MF prior shooting video, much easier that way I think.

One interestin feature if you have old cheap manual lenses is to remove the "ball" inside aperture ring which makes the "cliks" so you can adjust aperture during video smoothly. It's fun for some special purposes and artistic stuff. It's really easy to remove the pin and to put it back.

just my little thoughts

-Juho
A great reply as I am thinking along the same lines. Thanks for all the good tips! Do you happen to have a favorite lens for video shooting?

Thanks,
Hin
01-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #4

Well at this time my favorite is FA 50mm 1.4 because I like to play with shallow depht-of field. I also has M 28mm f/2.8 from which I have removed the ball and experimented a little, it just happens to have an enormous scratch in the rear element (got it for free) and so its VERY VERY flare prone :/

I had a while a M50mm f/1.7 which I planned to remove the ball also, but I happened to sell it

in anycase, video hasn't yet been my favorite game, but maybe in the future.

-Juho

01-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Er, can't you just flick the body's switch to MF from AF since it can't AF in video anyway?

Of course, the focus throw is shorter and not dampened and the ring is not as thick.

As for manual aperture lenses, as much as I loved the idea, obviously the image gets notably darker or brighter when you turn the ring, so you will have a delay as it compensates with ISO. And I think with AE-L it will just stay darker since it won't know you changed the aperture.

I still want full manual control so I can have a fast shutter speed at lower light (high iso) environments!
01-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #6

you can always flick the MF/AF switch in the body

I'm using Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 for video (with SR), and one of the primary reasons I bought my K-x is because of its nice video feature. With fixed aperture and ability to lock exposure, i think it's almost as good as manual exposure (minus the convenience)!

Oh and the focus rings on manual focus lenses are very smooth and damped compared to newer AF lenses.
01-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
Inactive Account

MF 40yrs

I never use AF , if i can use MF
simple as that, all movies shot on 16/35mm are with good MF lenses
u can have say and make a great focus pull, auto focus is only good when u have no time nor visable light to do so.

I m not against as many great photojournalist depending on it.
however, the screen is very small in K-x and need to blow up and use a hood.
viewfinder is kind of ok, but u must know how to set up focus first.

without extenal monitor is bad bad bad.
may be i should search for cheap USB to Video cable

K.M.
01-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #8

video with manuel lens

hello everybody

I have a smc-M 50mm F1.7 and here is a video I've shot just yesterday night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q016orYWgAs

I've locked the settings as ISO100 & 1/50 from Av mode and then set the aperture as 1.7 to catch this video. This lens is a gem for pentax users

When I try to increase dof at night, the movie gets darker so above f2.0 is unusable with ISO100 + 1/50. I will try it at daylight too but that click sound while changing aperture makes me mad in video.

Can someone tell me how to take our the ball in it? And is this safe?

thx

01-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by levobjk Quote
hello everybody

I have a smc-M 50mm F1.7 and here is a video I've shot just yesterday night.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q016orYWgAs[/yt]

I've locked the settings as ISO100 & 1/50 from Av mode and then set the aperture as 1.7 to catch this video. This lens is a gem for pentax users

When I try to increase dof at night, the movie gets darker so above f2.0 is unusable with ISO100 + 1/50. I will try it at daylight too but that click sound while changing aperture makes me mad in video.

Can someone tell me how to take our the ball in it? And is this safe?

thx
I have changed <url> to <yt> as PF has the tag for embedding youtubes.

That is a beautiful clip, if one looks at the bigger size in HD, it goes quite well. I know that I am thinking something good with video that many of the respondents here can attest to. The MF lens (or flipping to MF in body) is quite usable for video. Also, quick shift focus in DA lens will help too. The concern is whether the tiny LCD can get us accurate tuning on focus and aperture adjustment.

About the ball bearing that Juho has suggested: the tiny ball bearings are usually located right beneath the aperture ring. One has to dis-assemble a lens rear in order to take it out and it is not a major task but very easy to drop the ball bearing and tiny spring beneath the bearing if you are not careful. If you have some older M42 lens with a smooth preset ring, you can use the preset ring to adjust aperture without click.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-15-2010 at 10:54 AM.
01-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have some videos here, all done manually, it says in the top-left corner which lenses are used: http://www.youtube.com/user/ArcticExposure

Using fully manual lenses are not a problem at all. A proper focus system where you can choose where to focus with a square you move around while filming would be nice, but as it lacks, fully manual works just as well as automatic IMHO.
01-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
I have some videos here, all done manually, it says in the top-left corner which lenses are used: [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KCANmJJwgM[/yt]

Using fully manual lenses are not a problem at all. A proper focus system where you can choose where to focus with a square you move around while filming would be nice, but as it lacks, fully manual works just as well as automatic IMHO.
Thanks for sharing. I like the last fragment done with M 50mm f/1.4. May be we have all the LBA reasons for the cheap 50mm and MF lenses It is time to bring in our MF lenses to more use.

Thanks,
Hin
01-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #12

I just got that lens actually Had to sell some of my newer lenses months ago due to finances, so now I mostly use only old manual ones I'll be using my Samyang 85mm 1.4 as soon as I get it back form Samyang. I bought it used and the aperture ring wasn't doing it's job, then it just disconnected completely from the aperture blades so it got stuck at f/22 (the pin on the back of the lens, which ends up inside the camera, didn't move them either), so I just shipped it to them after e-mailing them. Looking forward to getting it back for several things, star photography, filming, concerts and hopefully weddings
01-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
I just got that lens actually Had to sell some of my newer lenses months ago due to finances, so now I mostly use only old manual ones I'll be using my Samyang 85mm 1.4 as soon as I get it back form Samyang. I bought it used and the aperture ring wasn't doing it's job, then it just disconnected completely from the aperture blades so it got stuck at f/22 (the pin on the back of the lens, which ends up inside the camera, didn't move them either), so I just shipped it to them after e-mailing them. Looking forward to getting it back for several things, star photography, filming, concerts and hopefully weddings
With the K-x, I find that I don't really need fast lens as in f/1.4 as much as I do with Pentax K20D. Most of my zoom and DA limited will do such fine in f/2.8.

I highly recommend Pentax DA 70mm f/2.4 limited, I bought mine used for a lower price and it is a lens worth saving money for. It is a very small lens compared to your Samyang.

Thanks,
Hin
01-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
With the K-x, I find that I don't really need fast lens as in f/1.4 as much as I do with Pentax K20D.
For video you need fast lenses though.
01-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
With the K-x, I find that I don't really need fast lens as in f/1.4 as much as I do with Pentax K20D. Most of my zoom and DA limited will do such fine in f/2.8.

I highly recommend Pentax DA 70mm f/2.4 limited, I bought mine used for a lower price and it is a lens worth saving money for. It is a very small lens compared to your Samyang.

Thanks,
Hin
Yeah, I know =) I tested some of the LE lenses a couple of years ago on my K10D, they're very nice, and I've seen some great image quality from them. The Samyang is big, but does very much what I want, and I like the size of it. I also like 1.4 for astro photography. I don't have an equatorial mount yet, so can't get all those stars without a big aperture, and I do use quite high ISO for it.

And like someone else here mentioned, for video it's nice. It's also nice to have the opportunity to play with the DoF you get with 85mm @ f/1.4.