Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2010, 05:04 AM   #16

QuoteQuote:
You will learn the right time to hit the AE button when you practice Btw if you do not have a fast lens (licke F1.7 or F1.4) , these settings will not be useful, the screen will be dark...
Do you have any tips on what settings to use to reduce noise using the kit lens?

Thanks

01-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've noticed 2 things recently:

1. The kit lens is (obvisouly) too slow for video if you're not shooting in very good light conditions, but it's also too sharp, you'll have a lot of moire and aliasing problems.

2. Old, fast, manual lenses (besides of reducing noise) get rid of a lot of aliasing and moire issues if used wide open. That might be just because they in general are softer at wide apertures.
Looking at such footage in full resolution, it might seem a bit soft, but looking at it at smaller resolution (you will downsize for DVD or internet anyway) it looks great (also noise is a lot less visible).
01-28-2010, 01:37 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by prayforsnow Quote
Do you have any tips on what settings to use to reduce noise using the kit lens?

Thanks
- I never use higher iso then ISO100 at low light conditions.
- If it is too dark, I use 1/25 shutter speed instead of 1/50 but motion blur is a problem as KARL79 mentioned. I prefer motion blur to noise in ISO200 or higher
- You must have a fast lens and you must use it wide open. But the main disadvantage of this is very narrow DOF and hardness of manuel focusing.
- If you have a manual fast lens like mine, you can play with DOF during video (in good light conditions)
- There are several programs for reducing noise, you can try them.