Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K7 video - Can I shoot using viewfinder?

Hi there guys, - OK, I am baffled, and I can't find an answer, but I have got a feeling it will be no! - how sad. - I want to shoot video of moving things so I need to focus all the time, but with the K7 it seems there is no way to swith between the Screen & Viewfinder when in video mode?? - I hate the screen!! - I need glasses so I can adjust the diopter ok, but with video I go to look at the screen, I have to put glasses on & hold the camera away from my face to focus, by then my subject has moved again. (AF wants to ignore my 70-2-- f2.8 lens) Is this the same for all you guys? - or am I missing something. - If I could shoot using only the viewfinder I would be so happy.

01-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #2

Original Poster
Ah! - now I see the answer

Ah! - now I see the answer on a previous post. sorry. No-one will beleive I spent all day searching on the web & reading this forum. 60 seconds after posting I get the answer!
01-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no possible way to use the viewfinder while filming as the mirror is up, so you can't see through the lens.

But there is a kind of viewfinder accessory you can place over the screen: cinema5D.com • View topic - Another LCD Viewfinder for all video DSLR 3" screens!

The K-7 is listed there, so it should fit. I think this will help you a lot, specially since the resolution of the screen is so high (640x480 pixels).

There are other brands that make these as well, I just couldn't find them now.
01-20-2010, 03:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks netrex, I had no idea that something like this ever existed, I read the link you posted, sounds very good and not an unreasonable price considdering what is offered. You have put some life back into my future video shooting, now to do the research on this possibility, thanks.

01-20-2010, 03:44 AM   #5

Good luck with it I'm looking into something like this my self for my K-x.
01-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
Just a bit more......

For anyone interested, .....I found this helpful, LCDVF (beta) Gallery , but I also notice the lcdvf model does not have a diopter, so it may not suit me - or anyone that is short sighten & needs glasses.... just suggesting caution before you buy
01-21-2010, 06:40 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Robanstan_AU Quote
For anyone interested, .....I found this helpful, LCDVF (beta) Gallery , but I also notice the lcdvf model does not have a diopter, so it may not suit me - or anyone that is short sighten & needs glasses.... just suggesting caution before you buy
You should google it, there are others that do have diopter.

Edit:

I found the one I saw earlier: http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1017

Last edited by netrex; 01-21-2010 at 06:49 AM.
01-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Hoodman's credibility is instantly downgraded when they charge $20 for what is essentially a rubber band.