Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #1

Pentax k-7: commercial video for a fashion brand

Hi,

I like to share with the pentax people a commercial film made with the k-7.

Decenio | Spring.Summer10 | Making Of

The shooting was done using the k-7 and a regular video camera (a sony ex-1), and i ended up cutting almost only with the k-7...because of the cinematic look. Only the last sequence of the film is done with the Ex-1.

The video was converted to 25p (pal) by interpreting the footage as 25p and not 30p. This gives a little effect of slowmotion.

I would like to thanks Pentax and Beltrão Coelho in Portugal, for lending me the k-7 to do some experimentation and work!

Hope you like it!

01-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice sequence. Can you give more details on your setup?
01-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Very nice sequence. Can you give more details on your setup?
Just the k-7, an old manual k 50mm 1.4, and in very few cases one 28mm 2.8.
Contrast all way down, saturation a little bit down, always lock the exposure.
In the interiors i put exposure down, because of the grain.

Edited in premiere for cutting, with magic bullet for grading.
After effects were used to erase some stuff, like other brands in the makeup scene.
01-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Forum Member

Great footage and editing NunoBarbosa! Once again I feel confirmed that the K-7 has the most organic looking video mode of all DSLRs so far, but you took it one step further. I guess your clients were very satisfied?!

01-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by karl79 Quote
Great footage and editing NunoBarbosa! Once again I feel confirmed that the K-7 has the most organic looking video mode of all DSLRs so far, but you took it one step further. I guess your clients were very satisfied?!
Thanks!! i really like the feel of the k-7. It doesn't have the compression artifacts the canons have. It's more analog, doesn't feel so digital.

But in other way, we don't have manual controls... it's a pain doing indoor lights, we don't know when the picture is going to strobe... in Pal land we have 50hz, so the shutter must be at 1/25 or 1/50. When do we have that blessed firmware???
01-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice video, Nuno. I hope you do more! Have you considered getting a k-x for high ISO video situations?

I have my doubts that they will ever add full manual control to video in the K-7, although it would be a smart way for them to boost sales, along with a coordinated price drop. Pentax did, however, do a decent job with video on their first try (arguably better than Nikon has so far), so I hope the next camera model will include a lot of the video improvements we have been clamoring for.
01-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Really nice job! Looked like a film camera ... really rich.
01-27-2010, 04:24 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Very nice video, Nuno. I hope you do more! Have you considered getting a k-x for high ISO video situations?

I have my doubts that they will ever add full manual control to video in the K-7, although it would be a smart way for them to boost sales, along with a coordinated price drop. Pentax did, however, do a decent job with video on their first try (arguably better than Nikon has so far), so I hope the next camera model will include a lot of the video improvements we have been clamoring for.
Thanks Urkeldeadalus! There's more to come
Yes, i considered the k-x. The k-7 is really noisy, even at f1.4. Not being able to control shutter and iso is really a pain. Let's see what Pentax is giving us this year.
The Pentax files are far better to work than canon's, and the shake reduction is a gift from heaven! Pentax can win the war if they want...

01-27-2010, 04:27 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Really nice job! Looked like a film camera ... really rich.
Thanks Mithrandir!
Previously i was working with 35mm adapters to get that look, now is just the k-7 and some old manual primes!
01-27-2010, 04:56 AM   #10
Banned

that was incredible mate. really really good. it not only makes a shining case for the video quality of the Pentax k-7, but the truly invaluable perks of using older manual lenses with ease, and of corse in-body SR. I think the lenses might play a big part in the unique look of the video. its no secret that older lenses render very different from modern. makes me want to finally jump on a K-7.
01-27-2010, 05:03 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that was incredible mate. really really good. it not only makes a shining case for the video quality of the Pentax k-7, but the truly invaluable perks of using older manual lenses with ease, and of corse in-body SR. I think the lenses might play a big part in the unique look of the video. its no secret that older lenses render very different from modern. makes me want to finally jump on a K-7.
Thanks Séamuis!
The old Pentax lenses are fantastic, and the ability to use them in modern DSLR cameras is a big plus, that's why i choose Pentax over Canon or Nikon.
01-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
hm, I have the K-x but it's also quite noisy even with 1.4 / 1.7 primes. (Nevertheless, I like it very much)

EDIT:

Nuno, so this was all hand held with SR on?

Last edited by karl79; 01-27-2010 at 05:57 PM.
01-28-2010, 02:44 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by karl79 Quote
hm, I have the K-x but it's also quite noisy even with 1.4 / 1.7 primes. (Nevertheless, I like it very much)

EDIT:

Nuno, so this was all hand held with SR on?
Yes, all hand held with SR.
One think that helps to looks smooth is the fact that it was recorded at 30 fps and interpreted at 25fps in the timeline, so it gives a 20% time slower.