Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Why no remote control of focus on K-X?

Moin,

As far as I know, the K-X reacts to some infrared -not USB- remote control, but what I really miss is the ability to control focus. For video, this would be extremely cool, much better then those clumsy mechanical follow focus things.

From examinig EXIF data ist seems clear that the K-X has some information on
focus distance, so it should be possible to control this exactly without having to touch the camera during video recording. It would be possible to record some focus settings for a scene and then select them in sequence with an intelligent remote control. I would volunteer to engineer this.

I think this would be an awesome feature to add for video mode, especially as it would only require some minor firmware change.

Or is this already possible?

Regards,
Stefan

02-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
exif data implies autofocus, which many people don't want on a film-style shoot... they'd rather spend big $$$ for a manual focus solution that includes a monitor that has more resolution than a camcorder screen does.

the only way to control the focus without touching the camera would be to do it with a motor, which i don't think you'll find on vdslr lenses.
02-04-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
osv, I don't think you understand what I was writing about.

The focusing motor in the camera can control most autofocus lenses, including the kit lenses. Now applying some mechanical device to such a lens for a follow-focus is technically a step back, the proper solution would be to use the existing motor for focusing during video and control that remotely. - Am I the only one who would consider this a useful feature?

Still, this is technically possible and would only require some minor firmware change. Or maybe it is already possible and it would only require to publish the specifications of remote control commands.

Stefan
02-04-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
Banned

I am sure Pentax could not only make that but they could also come out with a new line of power zoom lenses for video like they did 20 years ago.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-video-forum/76581-fa*-250-600-5-6-...ower-zoom.html

Last edited by jogiba; 02-04-2010 at 06:47 AM.
02-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 16N64 Quote
The focusing motor in the camera can control most autofocus lenses, including the kit lenses. Now applying some mechanical device to such a lens for a follow-focus is technically a step back, the proper solution would be to use the existing motor for focusing during video and control that remotely. - Am I the only one who would consider this a useful feature?
use it for rack focusing, for instance, where there is no zooming? you preset the focus points for the shot with the external control? you'd control the focus speed for creative purposes, and there wouldn't be any autofocus hunting... interesting.
02-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
With those many folks asking for full manual control for video, I would prefer full *remote* control - that would be easier to operate, easier to implement in firmware, and could even sell some fancy remote controls for ISO/shutter/focus/zoom and the like. But apparently I am the only one to wish that... sigh