Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
Keebler

how does the lack of AF impact video recording?

Hi folks,

I realize that may sound like a dumb question, but I've only used a camcorder which does automatically focus.

I'm looking at upgrading to the K7 form the K100. I like the weather resistance, I like the dust removal. LOVE the 5.2 fps, but my only question is regarding the 720P recording and how that may impact without AF? I guess you can manually focus while filming?

Cheerios,
Keebler

02-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you would be trying to manually focus 1280x720 resolution with a tiny monitor that might have 640x480(??) resolution.

so it invariably ends up with a lot of focus hunting... you can see it in most of the videos that people post out here.

the majority of still camera zoom lenses are not parfocal, which means that they can't hold focus while zooming... with a pro video lense, you zoom all the way in, set focus, and then everything remains in focus while you are zooming.

the way to get around it is to shoot film-style, with no zooming at all... treat the zoom like it's a prime, or shoot with only primes, and don't let the subject move out of the focal plane.

since there isn't enough resolution in the lcd monitor to set critical focus, you can set up the shot, use autofocus briefly the put the prime lens in focus, then do the video recording... people like the panasonic vdslr because has continuous autofocus, which has it's own set of problems, but is an improvement over what the competition offers.
02-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Keebler Quote
I guess you can manually focus while filming?
yes you can and it works fine with a little practice
02-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
While I'm not against autofocus in video, I don't find it necessary. There's something more honest about having manual focus, with shallow depth of field, even if there may be some focus hunting. In fact, if you pay attention to TV and movies, you'll often see that the cameraman doesn't always focus correctly (though the better ones are quite good).

02-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Banned

It's amazing how spoiled people have become since my first SLR in 1966 that had manual exposure and focus. I think any person that even has to ask the question should stick with consumer camcorders that do everything automatically except turn itself on and off.
02-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
It's amazing how spoiled people have become since my first SLR in 1966 that had manual exposure and focus. I think any person that even has to ask the question should stick with consumer camcorders that do everything automatically except turn itself on and off.
It's amazing how spoiled people have become since electric starters eliminated the need for a hand-carnk engine start. I think that any person that even has to ask the question should have their driver's license pulled and be forced to take either public transit or walk ;-)

Or would you prefer to load your icebox with real ice, periodically, wrapped in straw?

Walk to the TV to change channels?

Cook on a wood burning stove every meal?
02-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Banned

Maybe I should chuck my Pentax 6x7 since it does not have AE or AF.
Pentax 67 II Film Camera Sample Photos and Specifications

02-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #8

pain in the a**. especially if you're trying to camcord yourself lol.
02-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
While I'm not against autofocus in video, I don't find it necessary. There's something more honest about having manual focus, with shallow depth of field, even if there may be some focus hunting. In fact, if you pay attention to TV and movies, you'll often see that the cameraman doesn't always focus correctly (though the better ones are quite good).
True. After HD became standard, I notice that focus is of quite often, specially in TV shows. You notice focus is on the tip of the nose or the ears etc. when people are talking :P
02-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #10

To the OP,
the lack of AF should not bother you when shooting video on the K7. It's not like the consumer video cam ease of use, but shooting video with a DSLR has its benefits.
If you did have AF with the DSLR in video, you'd hear the motor whirring in your audiotrack, which at this time, is loud and slow during LiveView in photo mode.
If you have a DA lens, quickshift allows easy focus too without resorting to the AF/MF clutch on the body. Shooting with a prime lens is ideal since you'd benefit from the shallow depth of field, and have the film look that's harder to achieve with a consumer camera. Moving the focus manually is also more film like in viewing experience.
finally, since i personally take more photos than video, having the video mode there is easier than deciding to pull out the video camera, if the moment is spontaneous.

QuoteOriginally posted by Keebler Quote
Hi folks,

I realize that may sound like a dumb question, but I've only used a camcorder which does automatically focus.

I'm looking at upgrading to the K7 form the K100. I like the weather resistance, I like the dust removal. LOVE the 5.2 fps, but my only question is regarding the 720P recording and how that may impact without AF? I guess you can manually focus while filming?

Cheerios,
Keebler
02-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, honestly, I'm more comfortable with manual focus for my videos than with the AF versions I had with bridges or camcorders, as now I'm the one to choose where the focus should be, and this is a great thing for composition... With those AF camcorders, I always end up with a crisp, in-focus background when I slightly decenter the subject...

Now, you have to practice a lot to handle your lenses perfectly...
02-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Real filmmakers don't autofocus

Seriously, have you looked at professional motion picture lenses? Manual focus, with lovely gears and follow-focus attachments to allow for smooth, repeatable focus changes. The closest you get to autofocus is a whole other person standing beside the camera as a dedicated focus puller -- and they are worth their weight in gold, because they can follow the focus on a moving actor in a shallow depth of field every time. Unlike autofocus.
02-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
Banned

http://store.zacuto.com/DSLR-Sniper.html

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=4044623&amp[/vimeo]

http://store.zacuto.com/DSLR-Precision-Shooter.html

http://www.smallhd.com/

Last edited by jogiba; 02-08-2010 at 02:52 PM.
02-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
Keebler

you know, I take offense to your post. Not sure if it was meant that way, but if you re-read my question, I wasn't asking if the camera would do everything for me. I was asking if one could manually focus during video recording.

This is the first time I'm looking at a DSLR for video so excuse me for not knowing all the answers.

Maybe you hadn't drank your cup of coffee before you posted or whatever, but it came across as snotty to me.

to the others, thank you for your answers and not opinions. You're all correct - I was watching TV last night specifically looking for focusing and tracking. I do like how how films and TV will switch focus from object to object.

thanks,
keebler
02-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
That's expensive!

These look pretty good, and cheaper, I think, there are many versions: Redrock DSLR 2.0 Hybrid Support Accessories