Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #1

Eye-Fi Home Video 4Gb works great on the K-x!

I recently took advantage of Picasa's promotion that gives you a 4Gb Eye-Fi Home Video card, with geotagging and online video sharing, if you pay $50 for a year's worth of 200Gb online storage. Even $50 for this card alone is a great price.

The card worked in my Panasonic ZS3 point and shoot with no problem (well, it can only upload MJPEG and not AVCHD files). But how would it work on my new Pentax K-x? The Eye-fi official Pentax compatibility chart doesn't even list the K-x, and the K-7, K10D, and K20D are listed as incompatible. And another thread here talked only of the Pro card, and just for the K7. So I didn't have high hopes.

But, lo and behold, the card works absolutely perfectly, for both photos and videos. I have JPEG+RAW enabled, and the JPEG files are transfered. The video file transfered fine to my computer, and was uploaded to Youtube by itself. Plus both videos and photos are properly geotagged, to an incredible precision -- without a GPS chip!

Here's a sample video, in full 720p (not that the subject needs it). I edited out the location. This is the 360p version that Youtube embeds, you need to click on the video to see 720p on the YT site itself.

[YT]v=mD0P9-32Wxo[/YT]

I'll try to do some nicer videos later.

The card itself is no slouch. I thought it would be pretty slow inside my card reader. But I'm getting 18 Mb/s transfer rates with the internal card reader of my new HP desktop running Windows 7.

My only reservation is that I've had a RAW workflow for photos before this, so perhaps I'll keep the card in my Panasonic at this point, and eventually get the PRO version. I really like the geotagging stuff.

For videos, my workflow is to dump the MJPEG files into a "RAW" directory, then compress them with Handbrake to get them into a reasonable filesize for sharing and playing on my PS3. But what's nice here, is that I can share videos with my family immediately on Youtube or Facebook, without going through those stages.

02-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #2

I was very tempted by google's promo as well, but saddened to read the other thread about eye-fi cards not working in the K-x and K-7, with even an official response from eye-fi confirming incompatibility with the "older" eye-fi cards, with the exception being the new "pro" card might work but they haven't bothered to test it yet (wtf?).

My Canon point and shoot isn't listed as compatible, nor my Memorex HD video camera ... so I'm still on the fence
02-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #3

Original Poster
I read all those, too. But it worked with zero hassle.
02-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Banned

new Eye-Fi connected Pentax cameras

I am sure all future Pentax DSLRs will be Eye-Fi connected cameras since the latest Pentax cameras are.
QuoteQuote:
Additional features

Eye-Fi connected: optimized for use with Eye-Fi wireless memory cards
PENTAX News and Press Releases - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

02-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
I think you mean this press release instead. But that specifically is about Optio point-n-shoot cameras, not DSLRs. I'd love an update to my firmware for better support, though!
02-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Banned

If Pentax only gives Eye-Fi compatibility to Pentax point and shoot cameras in the future then they don't have much of a future IMHO.