Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

full manual control with fader ND?

wouldn' it be possible to have full manual control using manual lenses together with a fader ND?

Light Craft Workshop - Fader ND adjustable ND filter (ND2~400)

you could set aperture at the lens, fast and easy find and lock right shutter and ISO and then adjust exposure later just by using the fader ND again.

The smallest 52mm fader ND goes for around 50$ new, my M-lenses are 49mm so a regular step-up ring would do the job. Except for low-light environments (fader ND starting at ND2), this should give full manual control or am I thinking wrong here?

Phillip Bloom rates the fader ND almost as good as the 350$ Vari ND when he shot with both of them in India.

I'm talking K-x right now, I don't know if shutter can be locked on K-7 with the work-around known for K-x...

Last edited by karl79; 02-16-2010 at 11:19 AM.
02-15-2010, 06:54 AM   #2

I haven't tried that yet withvideo on my K-7 but i have the mentioned 52mm fader ND. And I have found it very good product for the price. I use it mainly for FA 50mm f1.4 and DA35 macro lenses.

Have to try that with video too. But I think it should work
02-16-2010, 08:02 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by karl79 Quote
wouldn' it be possible to have full manual control using manual lenses together with a fader ND?
What do you mean by "full manual control" ? Can you give example?
With using a manual lens, I think I already have nearly manual control.
check my video please.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAWvrNv0MEo[/YT]
02-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
With full manual control I mean control over aperture, shutter speed and ISO at the same time.
K-x gives you aperture control but defines the other 2 settings automatically in video mode.

The workarounds some guys pointed out here to lock shutter with manual lens works for me.

Still it can be a pain finding a 1/50 shutter depending on the environment your in and you still can't always set ISO as you want without often having to change aperture then.

My thought was that the fader ND could replace any in-camera exposure compensation (or having to change desired aperture) as it goes from ND2 to ND400 (1 to 8 stops). You could choose the exact ISO value you want, choose aperture you want, aim at your subject, tweak the fader ND until you have 1/50 shutter, lock it, switch to video-mode and adjust exposure to the right amount again just by using the fader ND, so without changing any of the settings you've chosen.
Finding and locking settings should be much easier and faster.

Doesn't work for low-light environment of course as it starts at ND2 but wouldn't this work for any daytime / outdoor / proper lighted scenes?

Just would like to know if I'm thinking wrong before purchasing one

jaitas, have you tried already?

Last edited by karl79; 02-16-2010 at 12:11 PM.