Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

My Pentax K7 videos are break-y. Why?

Hi Pentax Forum folks,
I've been having my K7 for a while now. But, I've so far not been successful in playing the .AVI files on my laptop to get a smooth video. I am using VLC after reading suggestions from some threads. Still, my videos are no way close to smooth, even at 1/4th orig video size. There are breaks in the video every 1/3 sec. Obviously something is struggling to render the video. My recordings are in full video resolution (1536 X 1024) with best quality.

It's 4am now and I was desperate to get my videos run smooth! But, no luck

Is it the speed of my laptop? Well, I have a 2GHz AMD Turion, 64bit Win Vista. I can see the Vimeo videos full screen on it and they run smooth. Why not my .AVI files?

Am I missing something? Any advise will be highly appreciated.

I must sleep now!

Thanks,
Anil

02-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by icypepsi Quote
Hi Pentax Forum folks,
I've been having my K7 for a while now. But, I've so far not been successful in playing the .AVI files on my laptop to get a smooth video. I am using VLC after reading suggestions from some threads. Still, my videos are no way close to smooth, even at 1/4th orig video size. There are breaks in the video every 1/3 sec. Obviously something is struggling to render the video. My recordings are in full video resolution (1536 X 1024) with best quality.

It's 4am now and I was desperate to get my videos run smooth! But, no luck

Is it the speed of my laptop? Well, I have a 2GHz AMD Turion, 64bit Win Vista. I can see the Vimeo videos full screen on it and they run smooth. Why not my .AVI files?

Am I missing something? Any advise will be highly appreciated.

I must sleep now!

Thanks,
Anil
Resizing the players window doenst do anything IMHO.

Try updating your graphics drivers first.
Then try updating vlc (if possible, vlc only uses its inbuild codecs, as far as I know).

If you dont mind messing a littlebit with your system, you could try a good codec-package (e.g. Shark007.net - Windows Vista Codec Package) and try to play it with the media player (also try to use the _old_ media player too!).

Good luck.
02-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #3

Vimeo files are H.264 - smaller file size and reduced resolution.

Consider converting your raw footage into something similar that is more playable on your computer.
02-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

One question: Can you confirm that the video plays smoothly in-camera? Try connecting the K-7 to a TV and confirm that the video looks smooth. If it doesn't, then I suspect that your memory card is not able to keep up with the massive amount of data being written to it.

- Jason

02-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Taking your suggestion, Michael, I tried searching for AVI codecs for win media player. I found the K-Lite codec pack (Free-Codecs.com : Download K-Lite Codec Pack 5.7.0 FULL, K-Lite Codec Pack 5.7.0 STANDARD, K-Lite Codec Pack 5.7.0 BASIC : K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of codecs and related tools) and that did the trick! But, media player gives me audio video sync problems after a few seconds into most videos. Obviously, there was some problem, and still is, with the codec.

No, Jason, it should not depend on my memory card. It plays well on-camera and my chip is class-6.

I think I should try what Coby's suggesting. Going to look for a converter now.

I'm a newbie when it comes to video, but nevertheless, I'm am very interested and going to make it a big time hobby. So I'm trying to get to know from you all. What do you guys usually do with your AVIs? What do you convert it to? What converter do you use? What s/w do you use for post prod edits?
02-15-2010, 04:35 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Taking your suggestion, Michael, I tried searching for AVI codecs for win media player. I found the K-Lite codec pack (Free-Codecs.com : Download K-Lite Codec Pack 5.7.0 FULL, K-Lite Codec Pack 5.7.0 STANDARD, K-Lite Codec Pack 5.7.0 BASIC : K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of codecs and related tools) and that did the trick! But, media player gives me audio video sync problems after a few seconds into most videos. Obviously, there was some problem, and still is, with the codec.

No, Jason, it should not depend on my memory card. It plays well on-camera and my chip is class-6.

I think I should try what Coby's suggesting. Going to look for a converter now.
Hmm.. so there is still the problem. In general your system should have enough power to handle the files.. Could be 1001 further problems.. get rid of Vista first

I'm a newbie when it comes to video, but nevertheless, I'm am very interested and going to make it a big time hobby. So I'm trying to get to know from you all. What do you guys usually do with your AVIs? What do you convert it to? What converter do you use? What s/w do you use for post prod edits?
So it it could become a big time hobby? Ok.. for the start you could go for:

- Editing: Sony Vegas Studio Platinum (about 80 bucks)
- Conversion: x.264 (really worth for quality/size ratio, you could use MediaCoder for that (freeware))

May I get your attention for the following petition? ==> Full control over video-seetings for Pentax K-7 and K-x

Have fun!