Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #16
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you have to look at the full-size moving image gif, in the link i posted beneath the red-x'ed image, to see how bad it really is.

as i understand it, the point here is that the vdslr is not recording and downsampling off of the entire sensor, it's only recording and downsampling off of a portion of the sensor... the full sensor size is used, but a bunch of it is totally skipped for video use.

compare that to a camcorder sensor, where no portion of the sensor is skipped... the result can be upwards of 33% higher resolution than a vdslr, on a camcorder that costs only a few hundred dollars.

that's why vdslr technology is so immature... it's a rather half-assed compromise between optimization for stills, and technology limitations for video use.

02-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
you have to look at the full-size moving image gif, in the link i posted beneath the red-x'ed image, to see how bad it really is.

as i understand it, the point here is that the vdslr is not recording and downsampling off of the entire sensor, it's only recording and downsampling off of a portion of the sensor... the full sensor size is used, but a bunch of it is totally skipped for video use.

compare that to a camcorder sensor, where no portion of the sensor is skipped... the result can be upwards of 33% higher resolution than a vdslr, on a camcorder that costs only a few hundred dollars.

that's why vdslr technology is so immature... it's a rather half-assed compromise between optimization for stills, and technology limitations for video use.
Wow, a camcorder for a few hundred dollars has 33% higher resolution than a vdslr ! Maybe they should have gone to Walmart and picked up a cheap camcorder to make Uncle Jack.
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vez7qSrZfpc[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL86qxCasoI[/yt]
02-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #18
Inactive Account

You made up this assumption all by yourself or is it based on facts?
02-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #19
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 16N64 Quote
You made up this assumption all by yourself or is it based on facts?
why do i have to babysit your ignorance of modern technology?

Re: Update considering Canon's claim of 6 pixel binning: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

video from DSLRs: every third line used? - Luminous Landscape Forum

02-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Sorry, no facts in these links, just guessing.

Averaging rectangular portions of the sensor surface could cause some aliasing, as it is not a very good digital anti-aliasing filter for decimation, but I don't want to participate in further guessing here.

Stefan
02-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #21
osv
Veteran Member

Sorry, no facts in these links, just guessing.
sorry, but you aren't paying attention.

as was pointed out in those links, a canon employee has already claimed that their vdslrs use binning to make up for the inability of the camera to read all of the sensor data in a timely manner.

which proves my point entirely.
03-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #22
Inactive Account

sorry, but you aren't paying attention.

as was pointed out in those links, a canon employee has already claimed that their vdslrs use binning to make up for the inability of the camera to read all of the sensor data in a timely manner.

which proves my point entirely.
Pixel binning usually means to combine pixels before the ADC, which can have some advantage over averaging in the digital domain, one of them some decreased digital bandwidth and less burden on the signal processing. But there is no information on how this binning is done or what happen digitally afterwards, so there is no information on which pixels and if any are skipped for video.

Stefan

03-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #23
osv
Veteran Member

But there is no information on how this binning is done or what happen digitally afterwards, so there is no information on which pixels and if any are skipped for video.
horrible aliasing and low resolution is what happens digitally afterwards.

i suppose that you have a pet theory for why a big dslr sensor provides lower resolution than a small camcorder sensor does, since it can't possibly be pixel skipping or binning.
03-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #24

The K-7 and K-x clearly aren't using all the pixels available on the sensor - there was a post on the DPReview Pentax DSLR Forum about the inability of the current chip to process the full data at an acceptable framerate. Google would probably locate it.

Anyway, interestingly, my small camercorder never manages to produce this kinda effect (which I have to say is groovy!): Lumolab K-x - Falk Lumo's Photos