Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Question on Kx or K7 video

Is video captured at full sensor size and mega pixel count ?

02-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No. It just uses what is needed to have the definition posted in the manual .
02-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the info.
02-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
No. It just uses what is needed to have the definition posted in the manual .
I'm pretty sure it uses the whole sensor, well, what it needs to cover the aspect ratio, but as much as possible without changing the ratio.

02-19-2010, 04:09 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
not at 12 or 14 mega pixels that for sure

I think some guy here named "falconeye" has explained it in some thread already. It's called "downsampling" if I remember correctly.

though i won't be surprised that someday, videos can use the full resolution (say, 12 megapixels) for video at a decent framerate (like 25fps perhaps. maybe 60!). And 12 megapixels at 60fps will effectively make mirrored-SLR cameras obsolute right? But sadly, today is not that day. Hehe
02-19-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm a still image shooter and I also own a video camera. At times I've pulled images out of the video's for small prints. Mostly horrible quality. After reading a lot of talk about the cameras shooting the video, the thought crossed my mind about sensor usage and MP count. Woulda been nice to have full sensor size images......
02-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm a still image shooter and I also own a video camera. At times I've pulled images out of the video's for small prints. Mostly horrible quality. After reading a lot of talk about the cameras shooting the video, the thought crossed my mind about sensor usage and MP count. Woulda been nice to have full sensor size images......
It records video with the whole sensor (as much as covered by the aspect ratio at least), but it's not 12 megapixles, it's resized (resampled down) to fit the 720p resolution. There is a function to extract images from video in the camera, but it's still just 1280x720 I believe.

02-22-2010, 06:45 AM   #8

I think K-X and K-7 doesn´t record video with all sensor cells, but only with that cells needed for selected resolution.

Some machines do it in other way - recording full resolution and than software resizing to selected resolution.
02-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by therion Quote
I think K-X and K-7 doesn´t record video with all sensor cells, but only with that cells needed for selected resolution.
What makes you think so?

It would cause a lot of aliasing and increased noise because only a fraction of the light that reaches the sensor would be used. I don't think Pentax engineers are that stupid.

Stefan
02-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 16N64 Quote
What makes you think so?

It would cause a lot of aliasing and increased noise because only a fraction of the light that reaches the sensor would be used. I don't think Pentax engineers are that stupid.
yes, there is a lot of aliasing, and it's not just pentax, canon has the same problems.

in three years you'll look back on this immature technology and laugh, because the pentax you'll be shooting video with then will be quite different than what you have now.

http://prolost.com/blog/2009/12/3/you-didnt-believe-me.html

Last edited by osv; 02-22-2010 at 02:10 PM.
02-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #11

That doesnt make sense.

Does that mean when you switch to video mode, the Live view display suddenly changes to a cropped image?

I think its close to full sensor size and down-sampled
02-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteQuote:
in three years you'll look back on this immature technology and laugh, because the pentax you'll be shooting video with then will be quite different than what you have now.
Every product using microchips will be much more advanced in three years.
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7EoAE14Z9k[/yt]
02-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 16N64 Quote
What makes you think so?

Stefan
No current video DSLR reads out the whole sensor for video and they all suffer from aliasing
02-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by karl79 Quote
No current video DSLR reads out the whole sensor for video and they all suffer from aliasing
Why do you think so?

Maybe they use a fraction of the sensor surface, but I am certain that they use all pixels from that area and downsample digitally. As the process has to be fast and is very likely done in hardware, it sure has some imperfection that causes aliasing. Worse, there will be some nonlinear processing for enhancing sharpness on edges that will also result in visible artifacts, especially if subjected to some test chart. But when shooting real world scenes, I am still very happy with the video quality of the K-x. Some 50 years ago, filmmakers would have given their right arm for the image quality and possibilities of current DSLR video.

Stefan
02-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
I assume this is a crop of some video, it shows a certain lack of detail, but surprisingly little aliasing. Some chroma aliasing, but the lines are perfectly merged into gray as they should.

Of course everything will be better some time in the future, but instead of complaining about current shortcomings, we should hold our breath and worship what amazing technology Pentax engineers have achieved for us so far:

Hail Pentax engineers!!!

Stefan