Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Keebler

lens advice for turkey hunting video?

Hi folks,

I'm looking for recommendations on 1 or 2 more lens to buy and use in a turkey hunting video I want to create this spring.

My current equipment:

- K7 with an 18-55 kit lens (from my K100D purchase years ago)
- 55-300 (the $300 dollar range lens….not the $1200 - although that is on the target list to purchase some day).
- Vel-flo 7 tripod

I was looking at the Rokinon lens reviews, but I don't know if they're worth it. I've seen some of the videos and they seem 'ok', but I did see evidence of the donuting bokeh and I don't know how fast they'd be considering turkeys can move pretty quick at times (although I hope to film them in the strutting stage). I'm especially concerned about the sharpness if i zoom in on a turkey.

I'm thinking something in the 10-17 range would be great. From the bits I've read to date, it appears that older manual lens are great b/c there's no auto focus during video anyway (and the older lens cost less as well
I was looking at a 50mm f2 lens but I'm thinking my 18-55 would do the same thing (although it's f3.5-5.6).

Here's what and how I'll be shooting:

my position will be either in a pop up tent (black interior so it's almost impossible to see inside from a distance i.e.. no light getting in) or from a ground blind which is open to the elements. I won't be walking around with it.

scenery will be a few rolling hills, but mostly open areas with trees (cedars and hardwoods) and maybe 1 farmer's field. no water.
There are open areas which are 200 yards away, but it all depends on where they come from.

I plan to get some shots at all times of the day, but most likely very early morning (crack of dawn), mid-afternoon and early evening).

Plenty of animals around - maybe coyotes, lots of birds, good possibility of deer and of course, turkeys

i know i need a battery grip as I'll be out in the field for a longer period of time.

A mic is also needed and I've been looking at the other threads regarding the Rode VideoMic. Not sure if I like the price tag considering this is a hobby video, but then again, the quality seems great for the price tag.

Cheers,
Keebler