Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First K7 video

Well technically it's not the first bit of video I've taken, but it's the first video that was worth editing together.
The most obvious issue with using the K7 for video is focus - taking video of anything that moves with a narrow DOF is very difficult without AF.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61JCke1Cf6g[/yt]

This video is not at the camera resolution, but is lower. I'm upgrading my video editing software and hopefully will figure out how to render the video in a way that will allow it to be posted on YouTube at the camera resolution or a lot closer to it!

Rob

04-06-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would use Vimeo. They allow you to post much higher res video than You Tube does and I like it a lot better from that standpoint.
04-06-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would use Vimeo. They allow you to post much higher res video than You Tube does and I like it a lot better from that standpoint.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll upgrade the editing software and see where that gets me with choices of resolutions.

Rob
04-10-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Really nice video and I will also through in a vote for vimeo. After becoming a member there I will never go back to youtube.

04-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Really nice video and I will also through in a vote for vimeo. After becoming a member there I will never go back to youtube.
Thanks! I'll give it a try. Today I experienced the "jelly effect". I had already concluded that a tripod was pretty much essential, but trying to use the camera with a long lens carved it in stone for me.

The Northern Territory in the wet season is great for photographing birds - as long as you don't mind 100% humidity!

Rob
04-20-2010, 03:51 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Really nice video and I will also through in a vote for vimeo.
I've posted an HD video on Vimeo. Nothing great; it was basically to try out the HD mode and the Rode Stereo Videomic. Feedback appreciated!

My comments about using video on the K7 so far:
  1. Focus is a pain. The AF mode using the button on the back of the camera is very slow, and the preview image is not big enough to accurately focus manually. I had a Canon compact camera which provided a focus assist mode by enlarging the centre part of the image - Pentax take note! I feel disappointed not being able to use the viewfinder - that may be possible by turning off Live View (have to try it)...
  2. Things moving quickly don't seem to be captured properly e.g. a swan flapping its wings.
  3. A tripod is absolutely essential. A long lens without a tripod will simply turn the video to jelly.
  4. The sensor tends to overheat even on a cool day. On a hot day it's much worse (as I found out in Darwin).
  5. The lag before you can shoot another clip is frustrating (presumably the camera is writing the data from the buffer to the SD card). This caused me to lose opportunities when taking video of crocodiles in Darwin.
  6. The combination of points 4 and 5 is annoying. If I stop shooting to let the sensor cool down, I may have to wait longer before the camera is able to shoot again.
  7. Taking video uses a lot of battery power because the live view is running and the CCD is powered up the whole time, and presumably the camera CPU is also doing a lot of data processing.
  8. The audio quality with the Rode Stereo Videomic is excellent, and the microphone's stereo image is very good. I'm even pleasantly surprised by the sound quality from the built in mono microphone.
  9. If you use the K7 as though you were shooting a movie, you can get great results. You shouldn't expect good results if you try to shoot unplanned hand held video.
Rob