Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 03:56 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Software to encode video from Pentax K7 or Kx?

What software are you using to make your video clips? I've upgraded my copy of Sony Vegas Movie Studio to the Platinum version in order to get HD video capabilities, but the clarity of the encoding seems a little disappointing. I'd be interested to know what other people are using, and what settings they are using to encode clips for YouTube or Vimeo.

Rob

04-20-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
Forum Member

For just trans-coding I use Avidemux freeware.
For editing either Kdenlive in linux or more Cinelerra lately.
In Cinelerra I use the QuickTime for linux codec and had good results with it.
But your editing software is more professional I guess might be wrong since I've never used it before.
Just get virtual server for free and install Ubuntu or Mint linux on it and try out the options I mentioned.

edited with Cinelerra
04-20-2010, 05:15 AM   #3

check out the Avanti GUI for ffmpeg ... ffmpeg, as linux users know, is a very capable codec collection, and the Avanti GUI makes it easy to use for Windows.

AVANTI - FFmpeg/Avisynth GUI
04-22-2010, 03:20 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davidvandoren Quote
For just trans-coding I use Avidemux freeware.
For editing either Kdenlive in linux or more Cinelerra lately.
In Cinelerra I use the QuickTime for linux codec and had good results with it.
But your editing software is more professional I guess might be wrong since I've never used it before.
Just get virtual server for free and install Ubuntu or Mint linux on it and try out the options I mentioned.
Thanks for the suggestions. The quality of result looks pretty good!

Rob

Last edited by RobG; 04-22-2010 at 03:20 AM. Reason: typo
04-22-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by justDIY Quote
check out the Avanti GUI for ffmpeg ... ffmpeg, as linux users know, is a very capable codec collection, and the Avanti GUI makes it easy to use for Windows.
I wouldn't say that it's easy to use but obviously it's easier than writing scripts. I just tried it, but over 80 minutes was more time than I was prepared to wait tonight to compress 4 minutes of HD AVI (all 16GB of uncompressed source). For comparison, compression to MP4 using the Sony software takes only 10 minutes for the same source video.

In case you'e wondering what the CPU is, I have a Quad core 3GHz AMD with 4GB of RAM. It's possible that the Sony encoder is using multiple cores but Avanti is only using one.

Rob

PS I find it a little odd that Avanti wanted to compress to a .AVI instead of a .MP4 file extension.
04-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #6

The Sony tool is probably able to use your video card to speed things up. I transcoded some 1080p video from my JVC to 720p and it used all four cores on my i7, video was about 5 minutes and the 2-pass transcode took about the same.

Avanti will use whatever container you tell it to, as long as it's compatible, avi and mp4 are both vaild containers for an mpeg4 video stream.

I like Avanti's price too.
05-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Transcodeing a finished video from 1080p to something like a 720p H.264 can take a long time for sure. A cool feature with Compressor that comes with FCP is it will use more than one computer to do the task. You install a little utility in each computer you want to be included (with number of core option to use on it). A great way to utilize a second computer like that laptop sitting there to help get the job done.