Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Cheap on camera lighting

Looking for some possible cheap video lights that can run for over an hour, the more runtime the more I'd be willing to pay

For instance the $30 Sima Video Light only get's around an hour of lighting, that sounds a bit disappointing to me, especially since it has non-replaceable batteries, I'd rather pay about $15-20 per hour of lighting

I'm basically looking for max runtime, simply swapping batteries for more lighting is fine with me...my budget isn't much, maybe a hundred at the most, I'd be more comfortable with 50 or 60

I'd be using this for night skiing and that can last anywhere from 1-4 hours, but constant lighting for that whole time wouldn't be necessary

thanks anyone

09-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #2

Look up "CN-126 LED" and "CN-160 LED" on Ebay. These lights run on AAs or Sony N-series rechargeables. They are considerably bigger than the Simas, but run longer and you can carry spare batteries in your pocket. The smaller one is a bit under $50. For skiing their hotshoe mount may be a bit flimsy however (in comparison the Sima's mount is non-adjustable and non-flexible).
09-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Coby Quote
Look up "CN-126 LED" and "CN-160 LED" on Ebay. These lights run on AAs or Sony N-series rechargeables. They are considerably bigger than the Simas, but run longer and you can carry spare batteries in your pocket. The smaller one is a bit under $50. For skiing their hotshoe mount may be a bit flimsy however (in comparison the Sima's mount is non-adjustable and non-flexible).
awesome I'll have to look into it, thanks so much!
09-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheoSixx Quote
You may consider a camping tent light, like this one:

ttp://tinyurl.com/2a7hywh

(it's on ebay, along with a slew of other similar examples)

It has like 50 LED bulbs, runs on AA batteries, has three settings (for switching how many bulbs burn at the same time, and is real inexpensive.
Interestingly, there's a hole in the middle of it, which you can modify to slip around your lens.

Might fit your requirement?

Good luck.
I thought of that too, if I can't find any good camera specific solutions then I'm going to start looking into other kinds of continuos lighting, bike lights were my first thought but those sound great too

09-02-2010, 07:59 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I have one of these (but I wiil buy another one soon):
DealExtreme: $26.86 SYD-0808 64-LED 480LM Continuous Lighting for Camera and Camcorder (4*AA)

A test I did at home.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqwi9m26lAI[/YT]

It gifs at 3 meters about 2 stops light. I recently bought colourgels to give it a more warm colour, but haven't used them yet.

I use alsoo this bracket:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.36390

It fits my K-7, the ledlight and stereomicrofoon. There is still one spot open for something.
09-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
--
In answer to the use of the light: I use eneloops in them and they keep up working very good just over one hour and then are slowing down somewhat in power. By the way if you use alkaline (wich are 1.5 V instead of the eneloop 1.2 V) you will have some more light. Because of the way light works you wil get out of the 25% extra power of the battery only an extra 1/3 E.V. (stop) of light.
09-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll have to consider that light then, thanks

Plus I'll take any excuse to buy more eneloops

09-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Banned

I'll have to consider that light then, thanks

Plus I'll take any excuse to buy more eneloops
Have you seen the colour version set with 8 different colours?

I had bought sets with others and have next to set of white also a set of 4 yellow and 4 pink eneloops.
09-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No I haven't, aside from being awesome! that could also be a great way to keep track of different sets
09-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Thanks for a great post!
09-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
New Idea

I got a cheap proprietary shoe powered video light for my new handycam, along with the extended batteries I got it should provide good time

but I still want something more powerful and seeing as how much video lights are, could this possibly be an alternative? Battery life looks stellar under $10 per hour of lighting, but you have to buy batteries
09-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got a cheap proprietary shoe powered video light for my new handycam, along with the extended batteries I got it should provide good time

but I still want something more powerful and seeing as how much video lights are, could this possibly be an alternative? Battery life looks stellar under $10 per hour of lighting, but you have to buy batteries
Some of them have power supply plugs, others use camera batteries. Looks like there is good potential with some units.
09-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I talked to some outdoor buffs I know and they said that outdoor headlamps would probably do the trick and last for a long time
09-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Look into the F&V Z96 kit on eBay. It's a dimmable 96-LED light. Runs off 5 AAs, Sony lithium camera batteries, or AC. On batteries, it should last a few hours since it uses LEDs instead of traditional bulbs. You can also assemble multiple units of these together to form a larger light-source. It has a standard tripod thread and an adapter for mounting to a hot/cold shoe.

Did I mention that it's dimmable? This is key if you want to use these lights up-close.

I got one of these for about $68 on eBay.

- Jason
09-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote

I got one of these for about $68 on eBay.

- Jason
That is a great price since what I found in Germany was qoit some more. Good light from the specs.