Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Banned

Pentax K-5 video review

QuoteQuote:
1080p/25 HD Movie Recording
Every time a new DSLR is announced, I quickly going through the HD movie's spec. I am really fascinated with the fact that we can shoot HD movies with DSLR cameras. The Pentax K-5 offers a Full HD 1080p/25fps movie recording. The K-7 and K-r only support the 720p format. I personally don't know if this will disappoint you or not, but the K-5 only supports 1080p at 25FPS (yep, no 24p). The K-r (cheaper model; $799.96 ERP) has a 720p 24FPS. I am not a professional cinematographer, so I can give you a professional opinion. Even so, the 24fps is commonly known as "cinematic frame rate", and it became a favorite frame rate among DSLR photographers.

For those of you of 25fps is not a real issue, you will be glad to know that the K-5 supports an external microphone. You can still shoot 1080p HD movies with mono sound using the internal microphone. I highly suggest that you read my review about external camera stereo microphones. The differences between the built-in mic and an external stereo microphone are out of this world. If you are serious about shooting HD videos, you must try one of the microphones in this guide. The external microphone can be connected to the 3.5mm stereo microphone jack.

You should also note that the K-5 allow photographers to shoot movies in 720p/25 and 480p/30fps or 25fps. It will be very interesting to see how the video quality compares to Canon and Nikon DSLRs. Accordign to professional camera's reviews websites, Canon has the upper hand. Nikon is closing in very fast, and we still need to wait and see the video quality of the newly announced DSLR, the Nikon D7000. Pentax and Samsung have a great business relationship. I am guessing that Samsung will contribute its experience to help Pentax with DSLR video implementation.

The Pentax K-5 also allows you to extract JPG images from videos, right inside the camera, without the need to do it with video editing software. I found it quite useful sometimes, especially when you shoot movie clips at 1080p.
Pentax K-5 - Enthusiast DSLR featuring 1080p, ISO 51200 and 7fps

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIo1wbkB6Mk[/YT]

09-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about Full Manual Video???
09-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
Here is the full specs from Pentax Japan.
PENTAX K-5 The flagship model of PENTAX K digital SLR camera series, offering high-quality images and user-friendly operation to satisfy the demands of advanced amateurs
09-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No. Just ask you.