Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deltoidjohn Quote
Keep in mind that if you're going to buy a camera as a student, there is no point buying one which will just be 'usable' for one project, but won't be much use beyond that. You want one which gives you room to grow, learn, improve and ultimately work consitantly and professionally with.
Last time I was a student the priority was on something affordable that would do the job. Getting a professional tool when you are just starting out -- and not making professional money to fund that tool -- is rather putting the cart before the horse. I agree one should not get a toy, but neither do most students have several grand to throw around.

My advice is to spend only what you can recover in income or afford to throw away as an investment. There will be plenty of time and money to buy better video tools later. They are always improving and coming down in price, after all.

10-04-2010, 04:40 AM   #17
Forum Member

Thats exactly the point - previously Students could not afford to use the same tools as the pro's are - but now they can.

Why not spend an extra $200 dollars for something that will keep you satisfied for a while (and which many professionals are using), rather than getting the K-X which will have you pulling your hair out after a few hours of struggling to get consistant exposure or dealing with high noise or stuttery, fast shutter speed video.

I'm not saying you can't shoot video on the K-X (I'm actually taking mine to Hawaii for a month to shoot a surf film because it suits the look I'm after, and leaving my Sony V1P at home), but if you want a DSLR primarily as a video camera then there are much better options. Believe me, whoever recomended he get a DSLR in the first place was almost definitely talking about the 550d.
10-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Just to be clear, I am not arguing for the K-x -- I realise its weaknesses. And I am not necessarily talking about a $200 differential. Some of the recommended SLRs for video cost a lot more than that.
10-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deltoidjohn Quote
Thats exactly the point - previously Students could not afford to use the same tools as the pro's are - but now they can.
Those are some rich students.

Camera rail system and accessories, steadicam, external monitor, sound recording equipment, cranes, quality PL mount lenses and a video camera that can shoot 2k, 4k or 5k with fps ranging from 1-120fps would be pro gear and cost, well, my calculator does not display enough digits.

10-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Guys, Guys, before this breaks out into all out war
Right, General concensous is that the 550D is the better video dslr. Right, have that. My question was at the begining and is now (sounds like mass) was that if my friend got a K-X and had access to roughly €2Ks worth of my lenses, would that be a better option? A few of you have shown me that the K-X is quite a capable little video dslr but the Canon does have undeniable advantages. Anyway, long story short, this arts course is practically based around the 550D so he'll have to get one. Now because I refuse to believe that my Limited glass won't be an advantage, I will get a K-5 and shoot alongside him while making a couple of 5 min movies. So in 6 months time or whatever we'll both post our finished videos and everybody can make their own mind up.
Thanks again everybody for giving me tips and options and advice. All greatly appreciated.

ps, i'm not getting the K-5 purely for this, I'll be using that for available light photography and low light portraits which I enjoy immensely. I'll also be keeping my K20D because I have to see for myself if the K-5 can actually compete with it in low ISO situations
10-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am considering to us a K-x to record a stage performance. The event consists of several individual items - each less than 5 minutes - so I can continue to stop and record without exceeding the 2GB limit. Total time is about 2 hours - with a intermission at the first hour.
Will the K-x get heated up and stop recording?
I will have spare batteries (I dont think the K-x can use an AC adapter, correct?)
10-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

It is always best to have multiple bodies for gigs like this: minimum two cameras, so one can be made ready to go while you are shooting the other. Oh, and an assistant. Beautiful of course.

10-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #23

Ya def get the 550D and an old cheap manual lens if your friend is on a tight budget. There's no auto focus in video mode so auto focus is useless. Prime offer longer focus throw for accuracy, generally wider aperture for very lil money, do you have any M42's lens your friend can borrow? Those should works pretty well on the T2i.
10-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ltdstar Quote
Ya def get the 550D and an old cheap manual lens if your friend is on a tight budget. There's no auto focus in video mode so auto focus is useless. Prime offer longer focus throw for accuracy, generally wider aperture for very lil money, do you have any M42's lens your friend can borrow? Those should works pretty well on the T2i.
3 Taks to chose from, 28 f3.5, 35 f3,5 and a 85 f1.9, dunno about giving him the 85 though, quite partial to it
10-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #25
Inactive Account

pentax m/fa lenses work really well on a canon body

i find it ironic that pentax is always touted as having 'backwards' compatibility, but M lenses meter better on a canon body, and the m42 to eos adaptor is better than m42 to k mount- yes pentax A works great on pentax cameras but they feel pretty shabby and sell for crazy money on ebay

pentax lenses are undeniably better than canon, although not necessarily cheaper- and i body IS does work really well for video
shame they put no manual controls in the k5 and stuck with the mjpeg codec, thus making the camera completely useless and meaning a whole lot of people are going to be switching to canon if they're serious about video
pentax really dropped the ball with this, but maybe they don't care, they are an excellent photographic company but it's just annoying that I either have to sell all my gear, or run 2 systems...
10-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ltdstar Quote
Prime offer longer focus throw for accuracy, .
sometimes too long though, focus pulling can be tricky
10-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
pentax m/fa lenses work really well on a canon body

i find it ironic that pentax is always touted as having 'backwards' compatibility, but M lenses meter better on a canon body, and the m42 to eos adaptor is better than m42 to k mount- yes pentax A works great on pentax cameras but they feel pretty shabby and sell for crazy money on ebay

pentax lenses are undeniably better than canon, although not necessarily cheaper- and i body IS does work really well for video
shame they put no manual controls in the k5 and stuck with the mjpeg codec, thus making the camera completely useless and meaning a whole lot of people are going to be switching to canon if they're serious about video
pentax really dropped the ball with this, but maybe they don't care, they are an excellent photographic company but it's just annoying that I either have to sell all my gear, or run 2 systems...
Sacrilege!!!
Pentax lenses for Pentax bodies... IMO
10-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about shooting for extended duration? Will the K-x shut down due to the temperature of the body?
Also, I wish that we could turn off the LCD during the recording - uses a lot of battery.