Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #1

Urgent! Rendering k-x footage after editing in Sony vegas 9

Hi,

I'm new to working with 720 hd video. I've always rendered my standard def videos with no compression as an avi file and then let DVD architect compress that for dvd and my videos have always been as crisp and good of quality as i could get from the footage.

however, if i render my footage from my k-x as an avi without compression it makes the file nearly 30gb!

So what file types, compression, etc should i use for outputting project to get the best quality possible on DVD? I did the mpeg 2 render and made sure everything was set to best quality and was being rendered with the same settings the project has, however, on dvd, it does have some pixelation that is noticeable, especially in movement.

Could someone please give me some advice so i dont' have to render this thing over and over troubleshooting to find the best file type/settings??

I have to have this film i'm doing on dvd and sent off to festivals tomorrow, so quick replies would be greatly appreciated!

10-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
720p HD uncompressed will produce huge file sizes. Can't you use the DVD architect with the AVI file? Have you tried other apps like virtualdub?
10-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Perhaps use a lossless video codec instead of no compression?
10-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #4

Original Poster
What codec would that be?

10-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

Render as a 720p AVI (keep in mind this is not uncompressed - uncompressed video files are HUGE - often hundreds of GB.)

Then open that up in a new project. Apply a gaussian blur of 1 pixel, then render as an mpeg2 using the DVD presets. The blur will minimise the effect of aliasing/pixelisation in the downconversion process.
10-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
Best way to render in Vegas for DVD Architect

Just found this forum topic. It worked perfect!
10-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #7

Original Poster
UPDATE: after using that forum topic I posted in the previous post, i had problems with the render changing my true 24 frames per second into 23.97. It caused a ghosty, motion blur type thing when people moved. Took me a few hours but i figured out how to still render with the settings dvd architect needs to not recompress during dvd burning and have perfectly clear footage. I had to go to each clip and "disable resampling". The footage looks amazing. When playing the dvd on a big widescreen, lcd tv thru the upconvert of a blurray player, the k-x footage looks unbelievably good. I wish I could show you all so you knew what the k-x can do. it has its quirks when it comes to video, but if you work around them, its an amazing little camera