Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Working with the K-x (or even the K-5)

Hey all,

I recently posted a video I shot with the K-x (Long Island Blizzard)... and I'm really starting to enjoy the K-x with the Limited Lenses very much. Going to the city tomorrow and will hopefully get some good photos and even some video

I was wondering how you all deal with the exposure thing. I know you can switch over to P mode and adjust and then hold the * button down while you switch back to Movie mode, and it seems to "stick". It's a little clunky, but at least it's a start...

Are they any other tricks you all employ to work with the limitations of manually being able to set exposure? I'm going to get some neutral density filters so I can keep the shutter speed down... but what else? Exposure compensations seems to work too, but I wonder how handy that is if you don't know what the exposure actually is being set to...

I WANT a weather-sealed body and really thing the K-5 will be the way to go for me... but this lack of manual exposure for video is killing me... Here's hoping that Pentax will put out a firmware update that fixes this early in 2011!

Thanks...

Amy

02-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

hi Drabbit, could you elaborate more on exposure thing tricks in video mode.

Which settings should I use? and why?

for example if I want to later slow down the movie.. how should I set the exposure?

also there is an option in menu in movie --> aperture fixed, or not.

should I press AE-L in P mode, or Av, and in movie, right after turning the dial, or just in P, or Av.

if someone else has any suggestions, I would appreciate them much.

since this weekend I'll have some opportunities, to try a video mode, I'd like to learn a bit..

thanks.
02-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shooting with an M lens, locking the shutterspeed/ISO with the AE-L button, and then changing the aperture manually to increase or decrease exposure has worked pretty well for me in the past. I have yet to do any serious video with my K-x, though (but it will happen!).
02-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
I know you can switch over to P mode and adjust and then hold the * button down while you switch back to Movie mode, and it seems to "stick". It's a little clunky, but at least it's a start...
Could you be more specific by what the "*" button is? If there are some tricks about exposure in video mode - I'd sure like to know them. I do know that you can press the +/- button while in video mode to switch back and forth between adjusting the aperture values and EV compensations (using the dial for each).

02-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slr_neophyte Quote
Could you be more specific by what the "*" button is? If there are some tricks about exposure in video mode - I'd sure like to know them. I do know that you can press the +/- button while in video mode to switch back and forth between adjusting the aperture values and EV compensations (using the dial for each).
Some people refer to the AF/AE-L button (the button furthest to the right on the back of the camera) as the "*" button because when you press it a * symbol lights up in the viewfinder, signifying that the exposure is locked.
02-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slr_neophyte Quote
In setting, last section #10 - AF/AE-L Button, choose option AE Lock.
02-21-2011, 04:14 AM   #7

The best way in m view to work with exposure is to use a manual lens and and or use the ae/l button. The manual lenses are a pain to focus on the k-x because of the lcd resolution but all you need to do is magnify using the info button. On my video here on this forum i used a 50mm lens i got from a guy for $20. How can you beat that!
when setting exposure with a auto lens you can keep playing with the various modes and switching to video mode. While you are in av or tv or p mode hit the preview button. this ill show you what your video will look like. you can also point the camera at a light or dark area and the camera will start to adjust. when it gets the way you want it , hit the ae/l button. Hey it's a toy you got to play with it!