Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Combining K5 & Flip Hd - audio & video

I am using a iMac and simple iMovie11 i am curious about combining the video from K5 and audio from Hd Flip? I know this sounds like a dumb question and maybe thinking iMovie can handle this is just as silly.

Here is what I mean, let's say I'm at an event and want to shoot video with both the flip and the K5. When combining the two videos would the sound line up correctly? Let's say the sound is better from the flip camera (humor me) and I wanted to us that sound clip for the entire show.

So say flip mounted on a tripod in one spot and use the K5 to do some moving around and getting different angles. I guess my thought (I only know enough about video to get in trouble ) is the that both cameras record at different rates and may be off by a second or so and lining up sound with K5 vid or vise versa would be complicated. (Picture friends small concert in home or small area)

I am sure there is software or other ways to do this but only have what I have so wondering if I can make it work.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Any links to tutorials or videos appreciated.

01-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #2

For Christmas i made a video project for my dad using my K-x and iMovie9 (if I recall). Although I didn't use a separate audio source to record the interviews, I was splicing the clips per the questions I asked & adding music and occasionally beeping out a few words.

Easy, but time consuming.

How does that relate to your questions?
I don't know how long your camera can take video but at most, my K-x could only record about 12 min of High Def at a time, which was acceptable for my project.

The longer your video, the greater the chance that your audio will lose sync. I don't know if Garage Band has a feature to synchronize separate audio tracks.

It's really easy to add and take out audio sources in iMovie but I never got the hang of using the precision editor to align my clips which just slowed me down.
01-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am currently working on several different projests shot with a flip and a KX. Audio was recorded seperatly using a Yamaha interface and sure beta 58. As far as audio synch goes it is a little tedious to get it perfect ,but not really that hard. From my personnal experience it if far more difficult to edit the video (WB, exposure etc) than the audio. I really would like a K-5 for the video portion but until hoya gives us full manual control, I will hold off. (yes i know it is a camera not a vidcam)
02-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorr I missed your replies and K5 was out for sop. It's back now

kaptnplundar - it kind of answers the question as I am using two different cameras. I am only thinking short clips

Shuie - sounds like a pain but do able for taking audio from separate them combining.

Really want to help out a friend by shooting his band. They play house tours and the music is mello not to loud. They have a cd so thought of shooting and adding (kind of lip-syncing) but that could be a wicked pain.

I will keep you posted when and if I get it done.
Thanks

02-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #5

So far the biggest problem I have run into is the poor video quality in bad light of the flip. I haven't worked enough with the KX to figure out how to get consistent results. Have tried a Sony bloggie and have had somewhat better results.
03-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #6

I would attempt to normalize the clips from their different sources by converting via mpegstreamclip (free d/l). Settings at: AIC, 1080p, 29.97 fps

Then input these clips to iMovie to render/edit.
03-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #7

To sync audio to you sporadic video shoot (you can not shoot long duration with K-5) would be nightmare. prepare spending countless hours if you want to lip-sync and you may find it impossible. Also if your sound source is in different location it may sound too different and alien.
The best would be to have another person with recording device, boom mic and headphones doing sound while you shoot video.
Next good solution would be to use external mic with your K-5 mounted on an extension onto your camera.
But if you must use this setup with Flip then try to create some kind of audio queues that are recorded with both devices. Like gunshot(or hand clap, or bell) every time you start filming. This way you have audio file from K-5 as reference to where you sync the audio from Flip. You can view sound track as waveform and find easily the peaks. But it may be off still - no guarantees.
You should look at sound creatively maybe. And to my opinion if you can not do pro sound capture do not attempt lip-sync.

03-11-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys
03-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #9

I can point you to a piece I'm working on presently that deals with some of the issues you mention:

Mr. Harold Grizzle Oral History Project

K-x, Panny P&S, Sony TCR, Tascam DR-1, & Audio Technica DD wireless.

This piece has NOT been color timed.
The audio track and cuts have NOT been synchronized.
The titles are just place holders presently.
It's a SKETCH, after all.

iMovie is a toy. (though, capable of doing some great things in the right hands)

If you plan to do more sophisticated production, look into Premier Pro (Adobe product), or Final Cut (Apple product.)
There are others available too-- but those two are the leaders (in my book.)

Synch differences for matching audio is due, in large part, to inconsistencies of the recording devices. (hard to imagine what with everything being zeros and ones, but intervalometer correction is possible with a few 'tricks'.)

As a matter of fact- this piece of video has a 'trick' or two already in place (corrections for the differences in FOV/aspect ratios.) See if you can pick them out.

There's a pretty cool clapboard available for the iPhone/iTouch.
I use it a lot--- it's called Llama Slate. I think it's $9.95.
Very handy to have in your pocket (if you've got the iPhone/iTouch.)
That'll help you keep the cuts in the same ball park at least.

AND- speaking of 'ball parks'--- is that the "green wall" behind you in the avatar??
Cool!
03-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #10

Yes, Theo has good advise.
I would like to mention that on windows platform Sony Vegas is regarded way better than Premiere by many I know. I am on mac so FCP for me. I would have recommended Final Cut Express, but the lack of ability to custom set your workspace(A/V Settings) will drive you nuts pretty soon. And as I remember no HD editing also.
03-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Theo - I have the iPhone and will check out the recommendatios you made. Interesting video and wasn't till towards the end when I noticed voice off by smidge.

Oh and yes that is Fenway and the green monster in the background!
03-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I've used Virtualdub to do something similar. There is an option to add a separate audio track to the video you're editing. To extract the audio from the Flip HD, you can go in the audio menu and save it as a .WAV and then open the K-5 video and add that .WAV file. I don't know how to sync them though ...
04-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is a little experiment I did with the Flip and iPhone. Just thought I'd share

YouTube - Don't have a Mic for Flip, you can use your iPhone 3gs voice memos app

Not something I would do often but could work in a pinch. Took about 15 minutes of tinkering in iMovie.
04-13-2011, 05:05 AM   #14

Great piece.
It was shown on youtoob in two segments.
The first was tight- the second was off a bit.

If it's not too much trouble- explain the difference between the two.

Also, it says 'no mic' - the iPhone has a mic and it is miraculous what you got out of it!
small point is all

Pretty slick set up.
Your talent did a good job making the points and being off book.
Good job.