Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2011, 02:57 AM   #1

k5 16:9 aspect ratio stills

Hi
I would be grateful if anyone would confirm if the k-5 can take stills in 16:9 aspect ratio so that the stills can be mixed in with the 16:9 video. If not, is there are alternative aspect ratio offered that is close enough to avoid heavy cropping? Thanks

02-22-2011, 05:25 AM   #2

Original Poster
Thought I should check the specs again and can't see 16:9 stills offered - the aspect ration is exclusively 3:2. Panasonic offer the 16:9 ratio option for stills with their GH1 and 2, and in fact with many of their compacts. I think Canon do with some of their video-capable DSLRs. Would be nice if Pentax could acknowledge what a useful function it is for videographers, considering they have implemented HD video on the k5, and do a firmware update if this is possible.
02-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe that if you change the MP value it will do 16:9
02-22-2011, 07:22 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I believe that if you change the MP value it will do 16:9
Thanks! I assume this would be lowering the MP value. This would be a good idea anyway because otherwise the resolution would be too high in comparison with the HD footage and so would not blend in well.

02-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lowlight Quote
Thanks! I assume this would be lowering the MP value. This would be a good idea anyway because otherwise the resolution would be too high in comparison with the HD footage and so would not blend in well.
Well, because essentially you are not using a set row of pixels (either on the top or bottom, or maybe both) so the MP value would be lower, but for the relative image size it would be the same... If that makes sense. In other words, if the resolution for 4:3 was 1920x1200, then when shooting 16:9 the resolution would become 1920x1080. See so technically you're not loosing quality, you're just loosing height on the picture..

Does that make sense?
02-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I can't recall if the K5 has a 16:9 crop option for shooting, but even if it did, it would just be a straight crop of the full size image.

The difference between every other camera and specifically the GH1 and GH2, is that those cameras actually have a multi-aspect sensor (each corner of the sensor is a series of 3 edges, rather than a single corner) that allow native shooting at 3:2, 4:3 and 16:9 - the sensor is still getting a crop in each case, but a higher resolution is retained for each image, and the actual image will be different (given the same scene, the 4:3 image will have a taller actual view, 16:9 will have the widest actual view and the 3:2 image will be in between).

If you haven't already looked up the GH1/2 image sensor, google it, because it is definitely unique and something not offered in any other camera.

This is a good comparison - the right image is how any other cameras achieve a different aspect ratio - through cropping; the GH1 (and GH2) attain different aspect ratios by having a multi-aspect sensor, something completely unique.

02-23-2011, 02:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
pxpaulx, thanks for that sensor info. I have been following the video advances made by Panasonic with their GH1 and GH2 and the GH1/2 is still probably the best DSLR for video. It certainly trumps the k-5 on that score, if only because of the fast AF in video mode and the articulated LCD panel. However, the k-5 has higher ISO capabilities and is more weatherproof, hence my interest for low light shooting in a damp environment. I am still not completely sure if the 16:9 aspect ratio is available but Ubuntu user thinks it may be. A dedicated camcorder is always likely to be better than a DSLR for 'run & gun' video, but the all-in-one package of the k-5 is appealing despite some missing video functions such as the adjustable LCD panel and fast AF.

02-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I really like the video output from my gh1 - I haven't used it much, but will probably hold onto the camera just for that purpose - the image is great quality, the video compression keeps the files small and the built-in stereo mic is worlds ahead of pretty much any other on-board microphone out there.

I checked for you (not on my camera - reviewed the dpreview specifications page for the K5) - the smaller resolutions are all a 3:2 aspect ratio, there is no option to shoot a native crop of 16:9 - you would need to edit them in post. (i.e. it does not have the in-camera crop options shown in the above left diagram). There is an option to do a 16:9 crop with the in-camera editing tools, but that is probably more work than doing it in post anyway.
02-24-2011, 02:22 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I checked for you (not on my camera - reviewed the dpreview specifications page for the K5) - the smaller resolutions are all a 3:2 aspect ratio, there is no option to shoot a native crop of 16:9 - you would need to edit them in post. (i.e. it does not have the in-camera crop options shown in the above left diagram). There is an option to do a 16:9 crop with the in-camera editing tools, but that is probably more work than doing it in post anyway.
Thanks for checking, it's appreciated. It's not a great deal of work to crop a jpeg to fit the 16:9 ratio so not a deal breaker. Nevertheless, it's a feature valued by video users.
02-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can also extract one frame from a footage, in-camera...

But both options are faster to do in PP anyway...
02-27-2011, 07:16 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Joko panasonic alkanut valmistaman K-5.
02-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Mihin tarvitaan Digi kuvauksessa 16:9 kuvasuhdetta, jos käyttää RAW. Ja muokkaa kuvat kunnon ohjelmalla.
02-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 30v iPentax Quote
Mihin tarvitaan Digi kuvauksessa 16:9 kuvasuhdetta, jos käyttää RAW. Ja muokkaa kuvat kunnon ohjelmalla.
In the very first post it answers your question:
...so that the stills can be mixed in with the 16:9 video
If you think about it you find the reasoning behind this - same light situation, same view, people doing same things.
03-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Ei se ole vastaus. Videokuvauksessa asia on selvenpi. Valokuvauksessa kuva rajataan aina vaaditun kuvan mukaan. Näin tekee valokuvaajat. Kannattaa ostaa sellainen kamera jonka saa räätälöityä tiettyyn kuvalokoon. Ehkä joku kiinteä polttovälinen taskukamera tai kännykkäkamera. Tämä ei ole minun keksinöäni, mutta näin se on .
03-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Just shoot stills and crop them to 16:9 later. I do it all the time. It takes like 3 seconds in Lightroom for a few hundred photos. Easy peasy.