Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #16

I don't have Pentax, but maybe you guy can try with battery grip and or external monitor to keep some of the heat outside the body, hopefully it'll keep the video running time a lil bit longer.

03-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I bought a 7D after the K7 (and a k5) and the 7D has never overheated in the same conditions I used the K7. Alternately I had zero issues with the K7 in the summer in Maine. It seems to happen over 85 degrees F. Can't comment on the K5 yet as its still freezing here.

K7/7D went to Afghanistan and Iraq which is about as hot a place as you can find short of yuma, az in the us.
04-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #18
Inactive Account

I guess the short time the K5 and the K7 can do video are to be blamed for the exclusion of manual control ... Pentax knew they weren't (fully) capable for video
04-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Do we know if any of the bodies have a thermal cut-off? Or will they just fry? Do other HDSLRs have this much trouble with heat build up? What are other people doing to mitigate the issue?
Since getting my GH2 I very seldom use my K-7 in video mode since it has the best quality video of any DSLR type of camera and no overheating when shooting long clips.

04-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Since getting my GH2 I very seldom use my K-7 in video mode since it has the best quality video of any DSLR type of camera and no overheating when shooting long clips.

Have you started a thread on the GH2? I'd like to see a review/workability piece on it from a Pentaxian's viewpoint, especially the functionality w/ the K->m3/4 mount.

Thanks.
04-05-2011, 04:24 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by John Araki Quote
Have you started a thread on the GH2? I'd like to see a review/workability piece on it from a Pentaxian's viewpoint, especially the functionality w/ the K->m3/4 mount.

Thanks.
Yes, me too. Very interested.
04-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ltdstar Quote
I don't have Pentax, but maybe you guy can try with battery grip and or external monitor to keep some of the heat outside the body, hopefully it'll keep the video running time a lil bit longer.
Tried this today on my morning commute. Running off a battery in the grip, random shot the cam in 4-6 min segments, playbacks, etc. Ran great for more than 20 minutes and probably could have gone on more, but it did the normal (save power) shutoff while in standby. Clicked the live view and it was back up no prob.

Thanks for the great tip.

04-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #23

I'm glad it work out for you.
04-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #24

Original Poster
Yesterday evening I ran movie mode on a fresh battery until it showed amber in the meter, about an hour's time before sunset. While the weather was cool (t-shirt weather) and no doubt played a factor, I think that having no battery in cam & one in the grip really helped.
04-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #25
Forum Member

I get a pretty decent time on my K-x, actual rec mode I get a full 8gb card worth, which is around 20min. Standby but in video mode to line up shots puts it at about an hour of being on. Sensor comes on with 5 min of shooting or so left.
04-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #26

Original Poster
Something I forgot to mention, but was upsetting is that I put the camera in the car and it sat there for a half hour or so in the sun. When I first turned it on and went to live view, the thermo sensor was already lit! good thing that I had a few minutes to run the A/C on it and it was fine from there on.