Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Video footage of snowfall in Coventry and Birmingham using the Pentax k-x

The 4th of February 2012 will be remembered as a unique day in the West Midlands region of UK because it was the day when it first snowed during the present winter session! This region usually gets snow during december and January but during the present session it didnt snow at all! So you can understand when I said it will be remembered over here!

I shot some video footage of snowfalling in certain parts of Coventry and Birmingham [night time here] and uploaded it to Youtube and sharing both videos with all of you. Hope you all like them!

Video 1 Birmingham Snowfall 2012

Video 2 Coventry Snowfall 2012

Watch the videos in 720p mode for maximum clarity.

I took a risk using the pentax k-x [which doesnt have weather seals and is supposed to not function in freezing temperatures] to shoot videos and pics in heavy snow and freezing temperatures. Some might say it wasnt just risky but also superstupid! LOL!

Surprisingly I was able to use it while it was heavily snowing with snow flakes constantly falling over the camera body and kit lens plus the temperature was quite low [think it was -4 or -5 degrees celcius]. I must have exposed the camera to the snow and cold for more than 3-4 hours [not continuously as occassionaly i used to put the camera back in the bag plus I was wiping excess snow on the lens and camera body using a cloth]. I have always been curious how this camera will function in extreme weather and so far it has done well even without any protective cover over it [though henceforth I am planning on putting some protective cover on it while using it under extreme weather conditions]!Apart from video I also shot lots of pics! After returning home I removed the lens from the camera body and left all of it to dry on dry cloth! I also removed the viewfinder eyepiece cover and popped up the flash and cleaned the place with a dry cloth. Later on 5th feb I shot some video and pics to see if the K-x is still working. Thank god it is! But I hope and pray no water has seeped through the camera joints and screw regions to cause problem later!

Last edited by aruk5; 02-05-2012 at 10:46 PM.
02-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing! It was fun to watch the videos, since I probably won't be traveling to the UK again soon, and I've never been to the West Midlands!

I never had any problems using my K-x in the rain here or in Australia one winter (sorry, Australia was my K100D Super, but it was OK too), although I didn't keep it outside for too long in the storm. It's even better when the lens has WR seals, I think - but I don't think the camera body is quite a vulnerable as we often think.

OTOH, last winter I used my K-5 and DA*50-135 during a cross country meet in a rainstorm - it was fun watching all the Canon guys be so careful to cover up their cameras and lenses, while I just put on the the lens hood and paid no mind. I realize some of the Canon gear is weather sealed, but these guys sure didn't act like theirs was!