Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-15-2012, 03:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am new to video.

Quite recently, when way out bored waiting for birds in my hide, I started to play with video in my K-5 and soon I was hooked, so I am currently trying to create my first wildlife documentary. I have the K-5, the lenses (60-250 and A*600 with L rc) and the tripod (a Manfrotto 075 with video head) so I guess I am enough geared for the shooting part, but I don't know anything about sound recording. Is there some post or article on the forums where I can find the basics and the gear needed, or can you enlighten me?

Thank you very much in advance.

02-15-2012, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #2

My two cents, just in case you didn't know it, there's a very good italian website (and related forum) dedicated to video, VideoMakers.net. They talk about videos, video cameras and DSLR video.
Glad to meet you here, I'm "lordofthestrings" in Pentaxiani la comunit too, and I'm a new member there too...
02-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Grazie. Su pentaxiani sono stato moderatore praticamente dall'inizio fino ad un mese fa, direi di conoscerlo bene. Ma di video se ne parla molto poco. Ora mi iscrivo a Videomakers.net, arrivederci lì, allora.
02-16-2012, 05:05 AM   #4

Figurati, so benissimo che sei una istituzione su "pentaxiani" ;-) ma non sapevo non fossi più moderatore. Io vado poco su videomakers ora, ma so che è un ottimo sito. C'è anche un utente pugliese che gira i videoclip di Caparezza, per fare un esempio, ed uno, tra i fondatori, tale "yarinvoodoo", che mi pare sia un felice possessore di Pentax. Sappi che lì, per ovvie ragioni indiscutibili, Canon impera, e "non farti spaventare" dagli interventi di "gambadilegno", possessore di Pentax che è incattivito con essa poichè non sforna prodotti "all'altezza di Canon" per quanto riguarda il video... Ecco, ti ho detto tutto! Mi sa che ci troveremo più spesso su pentaxiani perchè io ora sono un novizio della fotografia ed ho tanto da imparare... Ciao!

02-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish it was in english
02-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Lance C Quote
I wish it was in english
"I figured, I know that you are an institution on "pentaxiani";-) but I didn't know I was not longer moderator. I'm little on videographers now, but I know that is a very good site. There is also a user running the pugliese of Caparezza, video clip, for example, and one, one of the founders, "yarinvoodoo", which I think is a happy owner of Pentax. Know that there is indisputable, for obvious reasons, Canon conquer "don't scare" from "Pete" speeches, owner of Pentax that is worsened with it as it churns out products "at Canon" as regards video ... Behold, I told you everything! I know that we are more often on pentaxiani because I am a novice in photography and I have so much to learn ... Hello!"
02-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nothing exciting, actually.

Anyone that can help me with my request in the OP? That videomaker site is not exactly Pentax oriented.

02-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
Banned

powerful communicative

Video is a most powerful communicative tool in today, allowing you to communicate your message quickly and effectively, while holding viewers' interest. I am searching for video editing softwares to complete my business video. Any suggestions would be appreciated
02-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #9

As a Pentaxian I have to say that you're not going to find any video-website Pentax-oriented :-( This is the sad truth... because Pentax cameras are the less video-featured cams... But you can still get some good tips, don't you think? An external audio recorder can be used with any cam...
Even if I am formerly a musician I don't know anything about this recorder but I hear it is often used by a lot of videomakers:
H4n Handy Recorder
Hope it helps :-)
02-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lordofthestrings Quote
As a Pentaxian I have to say that you're not going to find any video-website Pentax-oriented :-( This is the sad truth... because Pentax cameras are the less video-featured cams... But you can still get some good tips, don't you think? An external audio recorder can be used with any cam...
Even if I am formerly a musician I don't know anything about this recorder but I hear it is often used by a lot of videomakers:
H4n Handy Recorder
Hope it helps :-)
Well, I know that I wouldn't find any Pentax-oriented video website, and that0's why I asked in this section. Before going with an external recorder, I was interested to know if using the internal recording of the K-5 was a thing to consider, or to discard form the start, and what external microphones are the best for the use with K-5.

In the meantime, thanks for your suggestion, I will look into it.
02-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #11

I'm not an expert myself in videomaking but I've read a lot and I think I can answer you. If you're trying to achieve something that has a "professional look", and that does not mean you're selling it to National Geographic, forget to use the internal recorder of the camera (any DSLR). That's about it. If you don't want a music soundtrack and you want to hear clearly the "sound of nature" you have two choices:
1. an external recorder
2. a notebook, a good external soundboard and a good external microphone (but it's difficult to carry around and set up everything "in the woods")
I really hope that your love for nature will lead you to a great video and I hope to be one of the first to see it!
02-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, thanks. I guess for now I haven't need of a David Attemborough type that talks to the camera, so going completely external should be easy (doing the recording after the shooting). I have a Macbook Pro, I am completely new to sound recording, what I would need? What is a "good external soundboard"?
02-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #13

As a musician with a very little experience in amateur home recording, and, since you have a mac, I would look a firewire audio interface (mid-range, not pro, something in the 300-500 euro price range). But then you should look for a good microphone, and a cable, and you have to connect the sound card to the main supply... Too much hassle... Really. I think a good external recorder would be better for portability. Then, in your video editor, you will add your audio track and sync it to you video. Here you have to investigate by yourself. I know there are various external recorders dedicated to video but I have no experience with them.
Here I found something, hope it helps:
DSLR News Shooter | Audio
DSLR Audio - Top 5 Best Recorders | DSLR FILM
Anyway, here's another interesting website, NoFilmSchool, aimed to indipendent videomakers (maybe too much for me and you) where you can find a lot of info but there's also a free book called "the DSLR cinematography guide" that you can download freely after a free registration.
Ignazio
02-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much,
that's a lot of things to study!
02-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #15

You're welcome!
Now I recall some other good websites and related forums that I used to read a lot when I was more into video, I think they are some of the most rated:
DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking
VideoHelp.com Forum
SlashCAM: Digital Video online
CreativeCOW
Digital Video News, Reviews and Forums at DVInfo.net