Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Higher quality audio recording perhaps? Even when using external microphones you're limited to 32 kHz.

The IS helps a lot with the rolling shutter. It manages to surpress a lot of shaking around showing up on the video, as a result, there is not much rolling shutter (unless you pan fast).

How about a more professional codec? Not necessarily RAW, the ProRes output from the BMCC looks pretty good. I think that would get a few pros excited (I'm happy enough with MJPEG though).

Maybe you can ask him what they were thinking when the K-30/01 only got digital SR.

One thing I'd really like to have would be a button to start video recording on my K-5, regardless of the mode it currently is in. The Fx button could be used for that (optionally). Since I like to shoot both video and photo I often have to turn the dial from TAv to video and back. Takes forever, wears out the dial and I may miss situations because the camera is in the wrong mode.

It would also be great to have hot pixels automatically removed. It seems that feature only works for photos. Having hot pixels all over the place just doesn't look good.
You've hit on a number of things I agree with.

Better audio is always a good things, and manual control and a way to monitor (meters and/or headphone jack) would be ideal. It annoys me that the K-01 now has manual audio, but no meters and no headphones, so you have no idea what you're doing when setting levels. And it appears to no longer have auto audio levels, which would at least do a better job at guessing than I would.

ProRes would be awesome. But I think it would have to be put out through the HDMI to an external recorder. I think if you tried to shoot ProRes to SD cards, you would hit the 4gb FAT32 limit in about 2 minutes. But still, ProRes out to an Atmos Ninja would be sweet.

The K-30 only has digital SR?!?? That's madness, I didn't even know that!

A record button for the K-5 and subsequent cameras would be awesome. Seems like a real easy firmware fix to allow reassigning of the Green button or Fx button.

In general, I think it would mean a lot to us as users if they released firmware updates that gave us features we should have had on the current K-5's, rather than just putting them into the next gen and forcing us all to buy new ones. That decision would show to me that they care more about their user base than their bottom line. Firmware update quals happy people and more brand loyalty. Forced adoption of newer models equals more profits and frustrated users. They can take their pick.

01-17-2013, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #32

Got a reply on my email guys

Thank you for your e-mail and your feedback regarding the video operation of the Pentax K-5. While we are just the UK office and do not have any control over the development or release of firmware, we are fortunate in that we have short reporting lines back to the factory. This means requests and suggestions from consumers are easily feedback for consideration.

I will pass your comments to the factory and let you know of their response.

If you would be willing to share your thoughts about what other features may be developed I would be very interested to read them and pass them onto the factory also. Although we cannot guarantee any would be developed we do know that they would be considered. Other suggestions from consumers have been adopted and are now available on current cameras.

Kind regards,

Steve

Nice to know Pentax UK is open to listening to us.

In any case, should we compile a formal list of suggestions and a petition from users who show interest?
01-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

That's a great reply; open, honest and helpful.

It seems like there's a real change coming from the top down, about listening a lot more to what the users want.

A compiled list and formal petition sounds like it could be helpful. Count me in.
01-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #34

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/212246-pentax-wants-he...ml#post2244474

Last edited by userage; 01-17-2013 at 12:13 PM.
01-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
You've hit on a number of things I agree with.

Better audio is always a good things, and manual control and a way to monitor (meters and/or headphone jack) would be ideal. It annoys me that the K-01 now has manual audio, but no meters and no headphones, so you have no idea what you're doing when setting levels. And it appears to no longer have auto audio levels, which would at least do a better job at guessing than I would.
I have just listened to a video I have recorded recently. Some singing on a stage, loud, but not terribly loud. I have exposed my small Canon to much much louder concerts. Yes, the Canon peaked, but it sounded about 100 times better than what the K-5 recorded. It would constantly adjust the volume, so every hit of the snare the volume would be reduced, then increased again. Anything that can be done about this? Won't it still be like this when using an external microphone?

QuoteQuote:
ProRes would be awesome. But I think it would have to be put out through the HDMI to an external recorder. I think if you tried to shoot ProRes to SD cards, you would hit the 4gb FAT32 limit in about 2 minutes. But still, ProRes out to an Atmos Ninja would be sweet.
Haha, yes. I doubt SDs are even fast enough for that. HDMI, or support for external hard drives (SSD) via USB 3 could make it possible. Basically mount the drive so that it can be used to write on. Then make it possible to encode such high quality video. It's probably quite some effort.

QuoteQuote:
The K-30 only has digital SR?!?? That's madness, I didn't even know that!
Took me about 10 seconds with one to find out. It's awful. Seriously. What were they thinking?

QuoteQuote:
A record button for the K-5 and subsequent cameras would be awesome. Seems like a real easy firmware fix to allow reassigning of the Green button or Fx button.
Yep. And it could be combined with the possibility to set manual settings.

QuoteQuote:
In general, I think it would mean a lot to us as users if they released firmware updates that gave us features we should have had on the current K-5's, rather than just putting them into the next gen and forcing us all to buy new ones. That decision would show to me that they care more about their user base than their bottom line. Firmware update quals happy people and more brand loyalty. Forced adoption of newer models equals more profits and frustrated users. They can take their pick.
Yeah. Dell has been brilliant in terms of after sales service with my laptop. When buying my next laptop they must have really screwed up with their line up, or it will be another Dell. I still remember my iRiver MP3 player. Great support, constant firmware updates. Sadly they basically pulled out of the market, so I ended up buying another brand.

Surely there'll be enough improvements that require hardware changes and thus require people to buy new cameras.
01-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #36

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Took me about 10 seconds with one to find out. It's awful. Seriously. What were they thinking?
maybe they thought hey ... idiots are complaining about the noise, the shake reduction is producing on the audio track ... idiots wont notice the massive uberwobble of the digital SR ... lets do that.
fktrds
01-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paranoia23 Quote
maybe they thought hey ... idiots are complaining about the noise, the shake reduction is producing on the audio track ... idiots wont notice the massive uberwobble of the digital SR ... lets do that. fktrds
That's a little harsh, but people complaining about the noise from the sensor moving does seem like a likely cause. Either way, in-camera SR is a HUGE perk of Pentax for video, and I'd try to push that idea as much as possible, if I were them.

01-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
That's a little harsh, but people complaining about the noise from the sensor moving does seem like a likely cause. Either way, in-camera SR is a HUGE perk of Pentax for video, and I'd try to push that idea as much as possible, if I were them.
I can see how that would be thought of as legitimate reasoning by people making decisions that are not video savvy. But in reality, anyone who gives a crap about video isn't using the onboard mic anyways, so it's a moot point.
01-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I am fine with them OFFERING digital SR, but at least give us a choice. I wonder what they were thinking, since even a 10 second test video would have shown what a bad idea it is. Also the audio of a Pentax DSLR is so awful that the bit of noise is really not making much of a difference.
01-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #40

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
in-camera SR is a HUGE perk of Pentax for video, and I'd try to push that idea as much as possible, if I were them.
thats what i think ... you can use all the old manual lenses with SR ... bam!
and i mean they dont have to cripple their hardware because they stay in conflict with more expensive video cameras they sell (like sony)