Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Especially if they could find a way to declick all their lens and the stepping process.

I go back in forth on the codec. It's a decent for quality and ability to be graded, but it's so huge. It's nice being able to shoot on the K-30 and get 100+ minutes off a 32gb card, instead 45 min.

I think the three things the K-5 needs most to be competitive are Manual controls for exposure and audio, Audio monitoring, via meters and a headphone jack (while recording), and 24p/30p options for Full HD. Without those three things, it doesn't exist as far as the professional video world is concerned. Things that would make it really stand out a lot more are clean HDMI out, The first thing I mentioned, 1080p/60 and 720p/120.

And if they really wanted to break some ground that could make a second battery grip specific for video. Similar to a BeachTek or JuiceLink, give it two XLR input, a mixer, has a slot for a 9v instead of DSLR battery and has a pre-amp, audio output, line in to the camera, weathersealed, and so on, that would be amazing.
Your asking for too much :P, It would be cool if Pentax made a mirrorless camera specifically for video and included all the things listed above.

01-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
focus peaking during recording would be a major benefit (who has that already ?! sony nex and ?)

and get rid of that digital movie shake reduction from the k30 and k01 ... which dumbass thought that would be a good idea?!
01-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by paranoia23 Quote
focus peaking during recording would be a major benefit (who has that already ?! sony nex and ?)

and get rid of that digital movie shake reduction from the k30 and k01 ... which dumbass thought that would be a good idea?!
Canon do with Magic Lantern i think, does Nex have it during recording?
01-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #19

didnt confirmed that ... read it in another forum

edit: there was the word that one of the latest nex could do it

01-13-2013, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello!

I think the good start would be for Pentax to update their current video capable cameras to: Pentax k-5 add advanced manual controls as in k-30. K-30 and k-01 could get software update that would increase video bit rates so the filmed videos would have a lot better dynamic range and detail. Most like next to good, very good, best add excellent quality setting. And regarding the k-30 and k-01 it is not a big task to accomplish. Pentax need to make their video output to be at least slightly better than competitors like 600D. And I think this would be a very good start. For the most part video features on Pentax latest cameras are fine ( I kind of like Pentax more than Canon, maybe because of less confusing menus or something, but I find Pentax manual video controls decent)

Then they could work on successors. They could keep on the road to manufacture WR bodies like k-30 that would have attractive price point, WR bodies for this price alone is worth no other considerations, two controls dials, camera with two control dials, WR and cost less than a $1000, now that is another reason to not consider other brands. These days it looks like articulating LCD screens are very popular among many shooters, so would be nice addition for the upcoming Pentax DSLRs.

And the rest would be to follow the video trends for the new cameras like 4k.
But for the beginning, it would be a good start to improve video quality of currently available Pentax cameras. And that would be good from the marketing point of view, Pentax cameras are very attractive due to their quality and good price, but thanks to video quality people are having second thoughts like I am now. I would gladly take k-30 however I found out that k-30 shoot around 25Mbps bit rate while 600D has nearly 45 Mbps.
TO have at least 50Mbps would be great, and this is only a matter of software update for the cameras.

And given the current price of k-01, it would be out of stock everywhere in no time due to the higher bit rate since it looks like k-01 is most looked for video shooting.
So this small update could make quite a big difference even to k-30, because of the WR body. K-30 allows to shoot in extreme conditions and well, to have no HDMI and mic jack is no problem there.

If Pentax is really up to listen, then in the first place they should make a more quality friendly video compression, if they increase bit rates ( which is a matter of changing some digits in their camera OS I then eliminate 600D from my list and happily go with K-30. And in the future update to another more advanced Pentax camera body.

I really hope Pentax will pay attention to this especially when there is one really simple thing to do to make their current DSLRs be more popular among enthusiast and beginning pro videographers who has limited resources.

Last edited by Danas_Anis; 01-13-2013 at 02:34 AM.
01-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #21

Firmware Updates

I really like the direction that this thread is heading in!

I would just like to echo what many have said, the biggest first step that PENTAX can make at this moment is to update the firmware for their existing cameras.

Look at what this has done for certain mobile phone manufactures, Samsung and Apple come to mind. HTC also comes to mind for the opposite reason; they have failed to consistently update the firmware/software in their existing products instead attempting to move their customers into the next model. Now, HTC once a market leader has been eclipsed by companies more loyal to their existing customers. The companies that show a real commitment to their existing customers by taking their current hardware as far as possible with firmware/software updates build unmatched customer loyalty.

Customer loyalty is something that PENTAX already enjoys but could certainly use more of. Loyal customers, bring their friends and market share. I love my K-01, but think it could get better and last firmware update showed that it could.

Here is what I hope happens: PENTAX will update the firmware of many of the models discussed here a number of times over the next couple or so years, while continuing to turn out great kit. I will move myself into the “next” model and sell/give my gently “broken-in” PENTAX to new or potential PENTAX for life customers helping top increase the market share for my chosen brand.

Just my two bits

PS: Boy that new MX-1 is sexy! I notice it has the R & G buttons along with 1080p Video at 30 frames. I want one!
01-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #22

I couldn't agree more! Word of mouth is more powerful than millions spent in advertising! I always back up the companies that I feel are very loyal and have great customer service and always recommend them.

Honestly though I think we should write a letter to Pentax Japan like they did concerning the full frame. If we can get a petition going i'm sure Pentax will take notice.

01-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #23

i really dont know what to expect from future pentax models ... k5II without a 24p mode and no processing power to handle a codec which wasnt used ages ago in the first playstation... digital SR pared with low bitrates at k30 and k01...

ftw?! ...
01-14-2013, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paranoia23 Quote
i really dont know what to expect from future pentax models ... k5II without a 24p mode and no processing power to handle a codec which wasnt used ages ago in the first playstation... digital SR pared with low bitrates at k30 and k01...

ftw?! ...
This is what ultimately frustrates me. Between the K-01, K-30 and K-5's, about 90% of video features I really care about are found. But not one of those cameras has more than 50%. Just give the K-5 24p, and i'll be 83% happy. Just give the K-30 an audio jack, and I'll be 79% happy. Just give the K-01 weathersealing and I'll be 65% happy. Get every video feature from all of those cameras into one body and I'll be 91% happy. Throw a few more bells and whistles in and I'll be stoked. I'ts not like we're asking for the impossible. I just want something with a nice looking image, and the appropriate features to be used for professional video work, like the 5DmkII of 3 years ago...
01-14-2013, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Yconhack Quote
I really like the direction that this thread is heading in!

I would just like to echo what many have said, the biggest first step that PENTAX can make at this moment is to update the firmware for their existing cameras.

Look at what this has done for certain mobile phone manufactures, Samsung and Apple come to mind. HTC also comes to mind for the opposite reason; they have failed to consistently update the firmware/software in their existing products instead attempting to move their customers into the next model. Now, HTC once a market leader has been eclipsed by companies more loyal to their existing customers. The companies that show a real commitment to their existing customers by taking their current hardware as far as possible with firmware/software updates build unmatched customer loyalty.

Customer loyalty is something that PENTAX already enjoys but could certainly use more of. Loyal customers, bring their friends and market share. I love my K-01, but think it could get better and last firmware update showed that it could.

Here is what I hope happens: PENTAX will update the firmware of many of the models discussed here a number of times over the next couple or so years, while continuing to turn out great kit. I will move myself into the “next” model and sell/give my gently “broken-in” PENTAX to new or potential PENTAX for life customers helping top increase the market share for my chosen brand.

Just my two bits

PS: Boy that new MX-1 is sexy! I notice it has the R & G buttons along with 1080p Video at 30 frames. I want one!
Good examples,

I also have a more positive example, Look at Lumix GH2 hack.
If not this hack, this camera would have been an average mirror-less camera with some neat features. But once it got a hack that improved video capabilities for it, it became a number one choice for many photographers/videographers. And this hack made Panasonic great sales.

Pentax could learn here, Photography sector is already quote perfect with the exception of many Pentax users wanting for a 35 mm, so called full frame DSLR, and the only section where it lacks behind is video, not because of lacking controls, but choice of video encoding, K-30 is a very interesting DSLR, people are starving for a camera that could take videos, would be wr and would not require to rob the bank. So K-30 could fill this area with some minor sacrifices for potential buyers. External Mic and HDMI would be nice, but if the general video output would have greater Dynamic range and detail in K-30 and K-01, that would be a magnificent start.

We live in times, when people need video in DSLRs, for future models Pentax simply need to continue on what they are doing with still photography, they are perfect there, and also consider videogrpahy, like creating camera bodies that would be ergonomic master peaces aimed for bridge still and video shooters. That is where currently Video capable DSLRs are being used. We now have one new type of a user who is both a photographer and video shooter.
01-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #26

image stutter

The real problem with the K-5 is that the image stutters horriblly when panning, or when the subject is moving even reasonably fast. I am suprised that more people don't complain about this.
01-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by ddbarchitect Quote
The real problem with the K-5 is that the image stutters horriblly when panning, or when the subject is moving even reasonably fast. I am suprised that more people don't complain about this.
Nothing we can do about rolling shutter unfortunately. Its not that bad in the K5 though, its worse in others.
01-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #28

rolling shutter if I am not mistaken is a common issue of any CMOS sensor.
01-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #29

Thats true, but cmos sensors with global shutters are being developed which should rid of rolling shutter
01-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Higher quality audio recording perhaps? Even when using external microphones you're limited to 32 kHz.

The IS helps a lot with the rolling shutter. It manages to surpress a lot of shaking around showing up on the video, as a result, there is not much rolling shutter (unless you pan fast).

How about a more professional codec? Not necessarily RAW, the ProRes output from the BMCC looks pretty good. I think that would get a few pros excited (I'm happy enough with MJPEG though).

Maybe you can ask him what they were thinking when the K-30/01 only got digital SR.

One thing I'd really like to have would be a button to start video recording on my K-5, regardless of the mode it currently is in. The Fx button could be used for that (optionally). Since I like to shoot both video and photo I often have to turn the dial from TAv to video and back. Takes forever, wears out the dial and I may miss situations because the camera is in the wrong mode.

It would also be great to have hot pixels automatically removed. It seems that feature only works for photos. Having hot pixels all over the place just doesn't look good.