Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

microphone

Hi all
I am looking for some recommendations on a mic for the 5k........actually any info would be great!
cheers
Jan

02-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
We've been toying around with this mic at work, recently. Sennheiser MKE 400 Compact Video Camera Shotgun Microphone

Works very well when we're just grabbing some quick "behind the scenes" interviews on set and such, or even some not super important background audio. Just have to make sure it's pointed right at your subject for the clearest audio, since it is a shotgun.

I'm sure other mics of similar nature should work pretty well! All depends on what you need it for...
02-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thankyou......I really only need it for some relevant background noise...maybe the odd bit of voice over type stuff........I am doing fusions.....and am teaching myself the video side of them......
cheers
Jan
What fitting? Will a canon job fit?
02-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any mic with a 3.5" plug would work on the K-5.
It's a matter of having it mounted or held for recording sound that's the battle.
If you have no assistant, you'd need it to be fixed on the camera somehow (like using the hotshoe mount) to free your hands to just use the camera.
There are many shotgun microphones that fit the bill. Have a search on eBay to see the variety of mics that can do it.

02-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by janstew Quote
Hi all
I am looking for some recommendations on a mic for the 5k........actually any info would be great!
cheers
Jan
Here's what I use, very satisfied with it so far:
Rode VideoMic Pro Compact Shotgun Microphone VIDEOMIC PRO B&H

It supports high-pass suppression and amplification via a switch on the back.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
great info thank you.......I have made a knock off figrig which works really well......I have to work out a clip or holder to attach the mic onto it......leaving free hands.......
02-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that's innovative, Jan.
Looks like you can record video with a lot smoother movements using this tool. Well done.
The best sound would come from having the mic close to the subject yet just out of the frame of view of the camera. That needs an assistant - but without one, you'd probably best have it attached up the top of the frame.

02-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My theory is to attach a mic to to the top right hand side........no assistant lol.......just not sure how to go about it yet
cheers
Jan
02-28-2013, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Makeshift hotshoe mounts attached onto the middle of upper left and upper right bars so it's out of the way of the handles.
03-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you can attach a screw to your rig, you can use Manfrott's magic arms to hold anything out there.

Does that really provide stable video? I've seen the figrig/steering wheel concept but find it hard to believe it works that well... :-)
04-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #11

janstew- That looks great! Have you thought about doing a DIY article on it?
05-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I purchased the Rhode Pro mic previously linked. Saw a lot of others using it, gets great reviews and won't break the bank. While I like the audio from it so far, I think the quality of the mic's construction SUCKS! all plastic and I feel like I have to be really gentle with it because it feels so fragile in my hands. Definitely can't just throw it into the camera bag and go with either. Might be looking for a more rugged replacement soon.