Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2013, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

MAcro short filmed on Pentax-A 100mm macro

I made this film as I recently discovered the curious properties of ferrofluid and sodium thiosulphate and wanted to film them.

Almost everything is shot on my Pentax-A 100mm f4 macro, with a few very close up shots using a reversed Sigma 24mm f2.8 super wide II, which gets about three times the magnification with a consequent reduction in depth of field, which is so thin at those levels as to be almost useless even at f11 to f16.

I used my k-5 for tests and stills, but used a Canon 600d with Technicolor cinestyle installed for the actual shoot, as the dynamic range is greater, and it has manual controls. The lenses are attached using a canon-pentax adapter, which can be bought from Ebay for £10/$15.

To get closer I used a set of 50mm extension tubes, and sometimes used the Canon 600D’s 3x digital zoom (which is still full 1080p HD, a useful feature and no extra depth of field loss!)

The film itself is rather light on narrative; it’s just a progression of – hopefully! – interesting shots.

Hope you like it. I’m happy to answer questions on how I did specific shots and it’s always good to get feedback.

09-16-2013, 02:54 AM   #2

Impressive Video. It looks so surreal.
09-16-2013, 04:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very calming. Beautiful video and music, thanks for sharing
09-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very nice. Too bad you didn't use a Pentax camera for the film.

09-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The last part with the iron suspension was creepy in my opinion, the video started melodramatic like, then science fiction like, then really cold and then creepy at the end. Well that's just me. The music felt nostalgic. I had to watch it again. Thanks for this creatively moving piece.
09-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all, glad you enjoyed it.

Tzrenz0, my sister said something similar, she found the iron quite unsettling and unnatural, and quite creepy! It's interesting to hear how it makes others feel.

LaurenOE, I agree: I would like to utilise the big mjpeg files from the k5 but the manual controls, digital zoom and (particularly) the dynamic range of the Canon cameras make them my main choice for macro video.

Also, I've never been quite sure whether it's fine to post non-Pentax DSLR videos here. I don't think the subforum title is explicit either way, so I just assume it's fine unless I'm told otherwise! Also, it is shot with a Pentax lens, which I think is the principal factor in defining how the film looks with its unique, cool (in temperature and effect!) rendering.
09-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful video and music, the structures that are created are amazing.

09-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Amazing, something that abstracts almost brought a tear to my eye.