Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Video Screen Grabs

Does anyone want to share screen grabs from video projects shot on Pentax cameras / k-mount lenses? Here are a few from a shoot I did last weekend. The lenses were my Samyang 35mm f1.4 and Pentax M28 f2.8. The camera was a Canon 60D.

09-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hardly PENTAX video screengrabs..
09-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Hardly PENTAX video screengrabs..
You can certainly feel fee to contribute some of your own. That is what to was hoping would happen. I am just getting it started.
09-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice grabs, I can almost imagine the story line.

This sub-forum is so sparse, I would think any examples of video that involve Pentax gear would be beneficial to the community.

09-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound snarky, I just don't see how posting Canon video screen grabs in a Pentax video forum is at all relevant. It seems off topic to me
OK granted, you might have used Pentax glass and therefore the optical quality could be attributed to that lens but the video quality is all down to the Canon hardware, every bit of it.
Sadly, seeing screenshots from videos shot using Canon hardware only nails home how poor Pentax video is.
If my K-01 shot anything like those above, I'd be a very happy (ecstatic) chappy indeed

But yes, I agree they are very nice grabs.
09-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound snarky, I just don't see how posting Canon video screen grabs in a Pentax video forum is at all relevant. It seems off topic to me
OK granted, you might have used Pentax glass and therefore the optical quality could be attributed to that lens but the video quality is all down to the Canon hardware, every bit of it.
Sadly, seeing screenshots from videos shot using Canon hardware only nails home how poor Pentax video is.
If my K-01 shot anything like those above, I'd be a very happy (ecstatic) chappy indeed

But yes, I agree they are very nice grabs.
It's okay, I am not offended. And thanks for the compliment.

In addition to their optical qualities, working with Pentax M series lenses is vastly different from Canon lenses for video, due to the manual focus mechanism. It's the same thing with the Samyang lenses. The optical qualities are also quite different. In the case of the faster lenses, such as my M85 f2 and my M50 f1.4, they are allowing more control over depth of field than your typical Canon f2.8 zoom, and certainly showing more coma. As a result of all of these things, I felt like the screen grabs would be relevant.

If it makes you feel any better, we did have a small lighting package for that shoot, and I was assisted by a union grip who works on some pretty well-known television shows. I was also running Magic Lantern and Technicolor Cinestyle -so it wasn't all on Canon. I just wish Pentax would buy Magic Lantern and install it on all of their cameras.

I'm also an MFA trained cinematographer, and I may have done some post work to these.

Last edited by fuent104; 09-21-2013 at 10:53 PM.
09-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Nice grabs, I can almost imagine the story line.
Thank you! I take that as a huge compliment. I'll post some more from the same project. It would certainly be fun to hear any guesses as to what the story is.

09-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster

This last shot may have been done with my M50 f1.4. I'm not sure though - the shoot was too hectic for me to maintain a camera log (I didn't have a camera assistant, which is who would usually keep it).