Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #31
Inactive Account

There was a lot of talk about the k-3 being able to output raw video through hdmi to anything that can process and record a raw video signal through hdmi, now that they're actually out, has anyone tested this? i still don't know if the k-3 can do that or not.

11-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
Or you do
try to sell it all and make a new start
nah, there will always be something i guess. + I also make photos.... love pentax & their lens lineup for that.
I just wish they'd put a bit more effort into the video area. How hard can it be ? (maybe it is, i don't know..:-)
11-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I just wish they'd put a bit more effort into the video area. How hard can it be ?
haha, that's exactly what I think too!
11-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
haha, that's exactly what I think too!
The K-3 - after all true and meaningfull dissapointement - is a good step forward.
But also important soon to come:
Pentax should be willing to fix their mistakes quickly with a meaningfull firmware patch.
If they can manage to learn out of their bad mistakes RICOH - Pentax can have e future.

11-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #35
Inactive Account

The K-3 - after all true and meaningfull dissapointement - is a good step forward.
But also important soon to come:
Pentax should be willing to fix their mistakes quickly with a meaningfull firmware patch.
If they can manage to learn out of their bad mistakes RICOH - Pentax can have e future.
Let's hope so. The k-3 and other recent cameras are a big step forward but considering how fast new technology is developed these days, I'm not too impressed. Hey, now that I'm talking to video people... if I skipped telecining and shot the projected image with a HDSLR (the cheapest way to transfer film to digital!), how would I fix the distortion? I know there are programs that do this that cost a lot of money, but can any of the free ones (kino, cinelerra, avidemux, openshot, and so on) do this? if I could easily transfer my films to digital, that would make getting a s16 modified bolex a lot more attractive not having to worry about telecining costs. (just the cost of film...)

Last edited by tripodquest; 11-13-2013 at 07:20 AM.
11-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #36
Inactive Account

I loved to film with my father's 8mm Bolex that was manually turned on ...
before I had my own super 8 Nizo ... But make this another thread please.
I did... :)
11-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
°
To sum it up a little just read the Pentax Forum's Review on K-3 video possibilities.
Here I learned even more about some additional flaws in this freaky camera,
ridiculously inacceptable in comparisson to all those better video DSLRs.

Pentax K-3 Review - Movie/Video Mode - PentaxForums.com

11-13-2013, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #38
Inactive Account

°
To sum it up a little just read the Pentax Forum's Review on K-3 video possibilities.
Here I learned even more about some additional flaws in this freaky camera,
ridiculously inacceptable in comparisson to all those better video DSLRs.

Pentax K-3 Review - Movie/Video Mode - PentaxForums.com
wow... i had to stop reading even before I got properly started.... that's just grossly unacceptable... I'll look long and hard before deciding what system to go with, but it won't be pentax. i was looking forward to a k-3 for the "new&improved" video capabilities, now I have to say I rather shell out a few grand more for something decent, whatever it is, if this low budget stuff is really this disappointing.
11-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
wow... i had to stop reading even before I got properly started.... that's just grossly unacceptable... I'll look long and hard before deciding what system to go with, but it won't be pentax. i was looking forward to a k-3 for the "new&improved" video capabilities, now I have to say I rather shell out a few grand more for something decent, whatever it is, if this low budget stuff is really this disappointing.
If your children are handicapped you will still love them and hope for their very best ...
But nowadays we could find out before ... and decide not to stay pregnant.
Some my feel this is a little harsh and cruel - but it also is our freedom to decide.
11-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Blunty seems happy...

funny, at a given moment he talks about the low pass filter and the effect of on/off "and especially in video". am i confused or is he. the low pass filter is in the photo menu, or would it affect video as well?
11-13-2013, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #41
Inactive Account

If your children are handicapped you will still love them and hope for their very best ...
But nowadays we could find out before ... and decide not to stay pregnant.
Some my feel this is a little harsh and cruel - but it also is our freedom to decide.
no i agree, we have the freedom to choose now... if the companies fail to provide, then we choose not to buy... more freedom of choice now. though sometimes it almost feels like less, especially if all the products to choose between are essentially the same
11-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's great! But it would be annoying if every lense had to be individually adapted and even then you'd have to wonder if they work. I think I'll just try to get the most out of k-3. Like you said, the camera we want hasn't been made.
Adapting is easy, just 1 adapter:

11-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #43
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Adapting is easy, just 1 adapter:

if you read my next comment, you'd know that i'm not seriously looking into gh-2 and other options... what other choices do I have in 1080p 24p video? i'm not up to the latest devices, help me get with the times (haha) edit: never mind, I'm looking into it myself now. i'm really disappointed that the pentax k-3 doesn't have focus peaking during video. with manual glass, it's great that you can set the focus with the help of the focus peaking in the beginning, but not having it during video assumes that the scene is static and no focus adjustments are necessary, or that the focus markings on the lens are always correct...

Last edited by tripodquest; 11-13-2013 at 04:47 PM.
11-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you read my next comment, you'd know that i'm not seriously looking into gh-2 and other options... what other choices do I have in 1080p 24p video? i'm not up to the latest devices, help me get with the times (haha) edit: never mind, I'm looking into it myself now. i'm really disappointed that the pentax k-3 doesn't have focus peaking during video. with manual glass, it's great that you can set the focus with the help of the focus peaking in the beginning, but not having it during video assumes that the scene is static and no focus adjustments are necessary, or that the focus markings on the lens are always correct...
The lack of focus peaking may be disappointing but not surprising. Even the GH3 lacks it, which made a lot of folks unhappy. I use an external monitor with focus peaking on my GH2 but it's one more device to keep track of when shooting.

It seems as if focus peaking during shooting is just becoming mainstream, as the GX7, launched after the GH3, now has it.
11-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #45
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
The lack of focus peaking may be disappointing but not surprising. Even the GH3 lacks it, which made a lot of folks unhappy. I use an external monitor with focus peaking on my GH2 but it's one more device to keep track of when shooting.

It seems as if focus peaking during shooting is just becoming mainstream, as the GX7, launched after the GH3, now has it.
oh, that looks like something, i wouldn't have even known about the model if you hadn't mentioned it. but i just don't feel like I can give up the viewfinder, how can i shoot without seeing through the lens? it would feel so unnatural... I'm now going through Camcorders | B&H Photo Video this section of the B&H website to get a better idea of my options i might just keep the k-5 for photos and get a video camera for video, it seems like a better idea than trying to compromise with both in the same device.