Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
I am trying to come up with a better setup for interior (low light) videos with movement (for Real Estate).
I'd like to know what settings you used during this video.

Currently I'm using a K-30 / Sigma 10-20mm combo, but I have 3 K-01 bodies, I may try one...
Hm. Interior and shallow DoF don't really work IMHO, so high ISO it is, which your cameras don't do well enough. Any chance of adding light? A lot of it? Or just panning in a still?

09-12-2014, 12:46 AM   #17
Veteran Member

AWB
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Hm. Why did you use AWB?
It's usually right, but it tends to shift around, which makes things really bad.
I usually try to work with one of the presets, so that I at least get some consistency.
I also used AWB last time - against all my knowledge - but why ? And it was just wrong ... I love to do mistakes, dummy me,
... somehow to learn not to do it again ... I really needed editing to undo some bad effects of different whites later on.

Again and again I had to read how to do manual white balance on the K-5 but forgot it again and again because
usually I choose the presets - the best choice mostly ... But in artificial light with different sources sometimes manual white
needs to be done (if not on preset indoor white)

When I tried again - and when it failed - I remembered manual white cannot be done in movie mode at all. After reading
this thread here I again went back to my manual tried in vain and remembered it can only be done while in photo mode.

So for these things I use the nearby User-Mode ... and for all other things impossible in movie mode - like manual metering
(possible through viewfinder only) ... So here manual white balance can be fixed (possible only on monitor)

Video on Pentax K-5 is so crappy and ardous ... *sigh* ...
09-12-2014, 05:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

There is a AWB mode (on by default) that adjusts the white balance despite having set a preset... but you can deactivate that. Then it stays fixed and should work.
09-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
There is a AWB mode (on by default) that adjusts the white balance despite having set a preset... but you can deactivate that. Then it stays fixed and should work.
I don't understand you ... or do I ?
I can only choose AWB / main presets / the manually changed presets / and the true regular WB by gazing at a white surface.
Automatic White can not be fixed in its white-aspects - it changes automatically with different lighting - which is it's purpose.
So AWB may often get you different shades of colors .... and combining two scenes while editing can be difficult and needs your hands on.
Do we mean the same ?

09-15-2014, 03:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

There is AWB, as you described. There are the main presets and manually changed presets, but by default they are also automatic, within limits. There is an option to make it completely fixed, as it is in other cameras. That is what I use.
09-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

How can presets be automatic ?
... but I may be loosing my last nuggets of intelligence ...
09-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
How can presets be automatic ?
... but I may be loosing my last nuggets of intelligence ...
Ask Pentax. But in stock settings on the K-5 setting it to sunny day it will still adjust the WB, within limits.