Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2014, 10:25 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Flying Trapeze VIDEO with K-01 and PowerDirector

Here is a short promo video I shot for a trapeze school here in Seattle, at one of their shows.

Most shots were taken with a K-01 and Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5. A few shots were taken with a Contour Roam and Canon Vixia HFR20. Edited in Cyberlink PowerDirector 12 on a home built PC.

Any questions or comments are welcome!

06-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great job!

I've owned a sigma 10-20 in the past, and I wasn't that pleased with the distortion at 10mm. What length were you filming at mostly?

Also, were you shooting handheld, or did you have some sort of monopod or other rig to help stabilize the filming?

Again, great job.

E
06-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Way cool. Thanks for sharing!
06-12-2014, 01:59 AM   #4

Definitely skilled work. I like the music and the way the clips synced on it. The slow-mos were well placed. The show itself looks fun aswell.

06-12-2014, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Great job!

I've owned a sigma 10-20 in the past, and I wasn't that pleased with the distortion at 10mm. What length were you filming at mostly?

Also, were you shooting handheld, or did you have some sort of monopod or other rig to help stabilize the filming?

Again, great job.

E
I shot entirely at 10mm because the space was so tight.
From the balcony I came up with a way of using a regular tripod as a makeshift jib. I put two legs down straight together, like a mono pod, then shortened the third leg and pulled it out wide, and used it as a handle. I'll post a short video of that if there's any interest, worked pretty well considering they were moving so fast, so close, and in dark/harsh light.
Also used a Vivitar viewfinder, and Dolica pistol grip.
06-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Buceemie Quote
From the balcony I came up with a way of using a regular tripod as a makeshift jib. I put two legs down straight together, like a mono pod, then shortened the third leg and pulled it out wide, and used it as a handle.
That's great! I've never thought of using a tripod like that before. I've used my tripod as a "monopod" by just retracting all the legs, but the handle idea makes it even better!

I'd love to check out how you put such a thing in action.
06-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Looks good. And I love your music choice. The event looks like fun too. I mostly like the editing too, and the clips you've selected for certain portions of the music. Only in the beginning there is something that didn't work that well for me. Can't put my finger on it. Maybe too fast? Around 0:16, 0:17, something like that.

Maybe you can post a photo or so of your rig? Not sure I get what you're describing.

Btw., did you use some software to stabilize the video? There is something odd about the way the camera moves...

06-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Love it.
Add it to the K-01 channel? - https://vimeo.com/groups/pentaxk01

I can see the warping in the 10mm when you pan side to side - it's not unlike, but not as strong, as what you get out of the GoPro factory lens on the Medium view setting.

The editing is very impressive given the software used. I could see what looked to be white balance changing in some of the trapeze shots, not sure if that app will let you correct those in post.
I'd hope the clients were happy, that's a funky and fun video to advertise the place.
06-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great fun!!! Love the music! Love the production!

BTW...what artist for the music?

Steve
06-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Love it.
Add it to the K-01 channel? - https://vimeo.com/groups/pentaxk01

I can see the warping in the 10mm when you pan side to side - it's not unlike, but not as strong, as what you get out of the GoPro factory lens on the Medium view setting.

The editing is very impressive given the software used. I could see what looked to be white balance changing in some of the trapeze shots, not sure if that app will let you correct those in post.
I'd hope the clients were happy, that's a funky and fun video to advertise the place.
Good eye. I forgot to set the white balance before shooting so the AWB was going crazy shooting into the lights. I tried to fix in post but it was too tedious. I'll never make that mistake again

---------- Post added 06-25-14 at 10:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Great fun!!! Love the music! Love the production!

BTW...what artist for the music?

Steve
Artist: Parov Stelar
Album: The Princess

---------- Post added 06-25-14 at 10:38 PM ----------

Can anyone tell me how to add it to the K-01 Vimeo channel? https://vimeo.com/groups/pentaxk01
06-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Join the channel, then just use the video's settings to add it to the channel, you'll see a couple of mine there already.

I did a projectionist gig tonight for a films/comedy/burlesque event, the three burlesque performers asked me if I could video them when I was getting their music and asking if photos were okay,...
( Yeah, what are ya gonna do when a pretty girls asks a question like that, of course you say yes,.. )
Chucked the K-01 on the tripod with the Sigma 28-80 that is my 'ready for anything' lens, with no time to really set up, just chucked it on AWB and ISO 3200 for the low light,... and got a suprise. It'll need colour correcting, but the performers are all going 'ohhh, ahhh, that looks so good,..'
Sometimes, we get too hung up on getting it perfect, for some people, it's enough just to see their face on the screen.
06-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hm. Why did you use AWB? It's usually right, but it tends to shift around, which makes things really bad. I usually try to work with one of the presets, so that I at least get some consistency.

Also, I'm really looking forward to the results. Is it SFW? If not, that's fine too.
06-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Combination of Fluro's overhead, incandescent chandeliers and LED spot lights and no time to manual white-balance.

And no, that one won't be going online until I've heard from the performers.
09-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am trying to come up with a better setup for interior (low light) videos with movement (for Real Estate).
I'd like to know what settings you used during this video.

Currently I'm using a K-30 / Sigma 10-20mm combo, but I have 3 K-01 bodies, I may try one...
09-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Why did you use AWB?
Because I was there to do the Film Projection, just set up the camera as a courtesy to the performers to have a video of their performances to take home.