Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Definition of insanity

...to keep trying with the K-50 (or my K-01) to get decent video quality as if this time it will be different from all the previous attempts.

07-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's not insanity! Ricoh's decision to launch the XG-1, though...now that's getting there.

Let us know if you need any specific video tips. The K-01 should be a bit better than the K-50 since you get stereo sound and external audio input.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Stereo sound doesn't make the video (image) quality any better though, does it?
(I have an external Zoom recorder anyway )
07-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”.

07-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
...to keep trying with the K-50 (or my K-01) to get decent video quality as if this time it will be different from all the previous attempts.
You can always just pay 3x the money for a GH4 (body only) and get (almost) all the stuff you want, but that may be just another form of insanity.

Steve
07-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”.
Exactly

---------- Post added 07-16-14 at 01:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You can always just pay 3x the money for a GH4 (body only) and get (almost) all the stuff you want, but that may be just another form of insanity.
You're right, I could and it would...
07-16-2014, 01:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I honestly do not understand why so many people are trying to use their DSLR's like they were proper video cams. The video in a DSLR IMHO is at best suited to doing 10 minute You Tube vids, if that. It just seems to me a decent pocket sized hand video cam makes far more sense and they're not expensive anymore so why even bother doing it on a DSLR? DSLR's they're for still shots. If I wanted to make a film I'd definitely get a camera made for that. You don't think it's an exercise in frustration compared to using a little hand video cam?

07-16-2014, 03:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I honestly do not understand why so many people are trying to use their DSLR's?
Clearly..
07-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Eric,
With respect - it's nothing to do with light or megapixels in-so-far-as the Pentax movie mode quality is concerned. It's all about codec, bitrate, cropping and god awful aliasing/moire (due to line skipping). And of course there's that horrid Movie SR of theirs which is really a sick joke.
For portrait style shooting with a shallow DoF, these DLSRs work quite well - but anything else that requires detail for distance is rubbish.
07-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
For portrait style shooting with a shallow DoF, these DLSRs work quite well - but anything else that requires detail for distance is rubbish.
A sane person would use something else.
07-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Of course, with Pentax gear that's the only viable option right now.
Point is for many [of us nutters] is that carrying one camera capable to fullfulling both tasks equally as well, is the holy grail we're after.
Panasonic can do it, Sony are doing it - it can be done. We want it
07-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not just me who is disappointed, Eric.
07-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I honestly do not understand why so many people are trying to use their DSLR's like they were proper video cams. The video in a DSLR IMHO is at best suited to doing 10 minute You Tube vids, if that. It just seems to me a decent pocket sized hand video cam makes far more sense and they're not expensive anymore so why even bother doing it on a DSLR? DSLR's they're for still shots. If I wanted to make a film I'd definitely get a camera made for that. You don't think it's an exercise in frustration compared to using a little hand video cam?
Camcorders are only meant for convenience. The quality absolutely sucks (even if you spend a lot), and you have little control over the look. My K-5 makes much better looking video than a top of the line Panasonic consumer camcorder costing more than the K-5 at launch. It is just not as easy.

I might as well recommend you to use a smartphone rather than a DSLR for stills, because the smartphone is so much better and more convenient.

If you look at the professional market people are using DSLRs, or if they have more money DSLR related camcorders for cinema use (i.e. costing 10000 and above). Camcorders aren't used except perhaps for documentaries where it shouldn't look professional.
07-20-2014, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No, it's not just you mate. Honestly can't understand why people wouldn't use their DSLR's for video!

Very seriously considering a Sony A6000 with my Pentax lenses, plus one of those speed booster thingies...
07-21-2014, 01:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I thought I'd seen a post by Benjamin Kanarek saying that he used the K-01 for video.