Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-15-2014, 02:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
GoPro or Ricoh GR

I'm interested in purchasing a smaller camera for when I don't want to pack up my DSLR but would still like to take photos or video. I'd also be interested in making videos reviewing local restaurants. With the GoPro, I could film, bring it on my adventures like ziplining, it's also cheaper, and there are a variety of acessories available. With the GR, I could take photos that may be a higher quality but the camera is more expensive and there aren't acessories available.I'd like to hear from people who own these particular camera.

10-15-2014, 02:45 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apples and oranges IMO. The GoPro is predominantly an action camera, while the GR is a pocketable compact for pro-grade stills. They serve entirely different purposes, so in my opinion it would be best to have both

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-16-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
so in my opinion it would be best to have both
Yeah, I don't really have the money for both...
10-16-2014, 12:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buy the GoPro. If you don't care about high quality stills and want to do more video and action stuff, then GoPro is the one to get.

11-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

How about the Sony RX100? Small, good stills, good video? The GoPro really mostly makes sense when you want something that is impossible to destroy... and you are really trying to. Otherwise there are much better options... Or maybe the new Panasonic smartphone with a 1" sensor or so? Sounds like an option too... Or a Nokia Lumia 1020 for example. In terms of image quality they'll probably easily beat the GoPro, and being phones you'll really have them with you all the time...
11-02-2014, 06:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
How about the Sony RX100? Small, good stills, good video? The GoPro really mostly makes sense when you want something that is impossible to destroy... and you are really trying to. Otherwise there are much better options... Or maybe the new Panasonic smartphone with a 1" sensor or so? Sounds like an option too... Or a Nokia Lumia 1020 for example. In terms of image quality they'll probably easily beat the GoPro, and being phones you'll really have them with you all the time...
I'm really leaning towards the GoPro because I'm looking to get my diving certification. In terms on phones, I'd like to stick with my current phone. I don't think the occaisonal video or photo is worth getting a new phone over.
11-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

How about both? The serve totally different purposes and GoPros are not really that expensive last time I checked

11-02-2014, 06:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
How about both? The serve totally different purposes and GoPros are not really that expensive last time I checked
I'd rather put that money towards something else as opposed to another camera.
11-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
I'm really leaning towards the GoPro because I'm looking to get my diving certification. In terms on phones, I'd like to stick with my current phone. I don't think the occaisonal video or photo is worth getting a new phone over.
Looks like you want to get the GoPro and you're looking for justification. You got it, get the GoPro. It does not appeal to me even a little but I can understand it's use.

Did you consider something like a WG-4? you get a real field camera, the stills will be much better than a GoPro (I suppose...) and they go for quite cheap.
11-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
Nikon has a 1 series ILC that you can go diving with. Something like 30m? Maybe you'd like to look inti that.
11-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Shooting 4K with the pocket Panasonic LX100

Maybe you're interested in this one?
11-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Shooting 4K with the pocket Panasonic LX100

Maybe you're interested in this one?
I have a family member who has a Lumix. It's nice and all but I don't think I could take it diving.
11-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #13
Forum Member

GoPros are great and all, but restaurant reviews shot with that fish-eye type wide angle are gonna look a bit weird don't you reckon?

Last edited by watchingskyfallatm; 11-21-2014 at 11:30 PM.
11-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by watchingskyfallatm Quote
GoPros are great and all, but restaurant reviews shot with that fish-eye type wide angle are gonna look a bit weird don't you reckon?
No when corrected in post production, or where a different field of view setting was used upfront.
12-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery
GoPro 3 has decent stills, way better than GoPro 1 or 2, 4 is probably better yet - but it's not designed to take stills but it's always got that super wide FOV. Using it beyond it's intended use is iffy IMO.

My go to camera when I want to slip it in my pocket is NEX-5N - very good video and stills in a small package, but probably not what you're looking for.

WG4 is good suggestion, bought my daughter one and it's a nice little unit, decent video specs, time lapse, good stills & rugged too.