Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax K-S1 video samples

A thread for posting any K-S1 video samples to review.

10-24-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice video, a bit of wind noise, lot of Skoda's , it must be in Skodaland.
10-24-2014, 01:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Might be a good idea to post the videos on Vimeo - less compression by website.

What shutter speed were you filming at - I'm watching the verticals to look for rolling shutter skew, and there doesn't seem to be much there compared to other cameras.
I take it the SR was switched off
10-24-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Might be a good idea to post the videos on Vimeo - less compression by website.

What shutter speed were you filming at - I'm watching the verticals to look for rolling shutter skew, and there doesn't seem to be much there compared to other cameras.
I take it the SR was switched off
Well, I'm not much into video, but the panning movement was slow...
The cars were the only thing that moved fast and there are not many long verticals on them...

Nice video!

10-24-2014, 02:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, it's not my video (I don't even know what language that is ). I'm just posting K-S1 shot videos that I (or anyone else) find here..
Keep them all in one thread for easy review.
10-24-2014, 02:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Sorry, it's not my video (I don't even know what language that is ). I'm just posting K-S1 shot videos that I (or anyone else) find here..
Well, "ukazkove" is a Slovak word according to Google Translator (it should mean something along the lines of "first test")... it could also be Czech for all I know on the topic (i.e. nothing).
However, that part of the world...
10-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's Czech. Check the channel name.

11-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Good stuff, thanks for taking the initiative mate.

Warping at the start of the pan at 0:39s?

Not enabling real S/R on a camera with the hardware to do it? = fail.
11-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks,

Here's another. Not very good and note the closing clip with the marmalade cat which really shows the MovieSR at it's finest

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 07:38 AM ----------

Here's another where MovieSR really improves the shot, big time... (for heavens sakes PENTAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 07:40 AM ----------

One more.
No wobble, I think the operator knew to switch off SR when tripod mounted, though the IQ isn't any better than the K-50/K-01

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 11-02-2014 at 02:42 PM.
11-04-2014, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Pentax is run by a bunch of ignorant fools. Unless they give the reason that reliability is a concern there is really no excuse.

And this whole nonsense goes to show how not at all Pentax listens to customers. I really doubt there is ANYONE who says please give me movieSR, and not mechanical SR.
11-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Pentax is run by a bunch of ignorant fools. Unless they give the reason that reliability is a concern there is really no excuse.

And this whole nonsense goes to show how not at all Pentax listens to customers. I really doubt there is ANYONE who says please give me movieSR, and not mechanical SR.

My take on this remains the same. It's all SOFTWARE related, which can be fixed if you take the time to pay it some attention.

Keep movie SR for anyone who actively wants to stuff up their recordings, but offer a menu switchable option that enables mechanical stabilisation, with code that mimics the K-5 era approach to this.
Include a one liner in the manual about how this option may cause audible noise.
Job done.

I'm actually starting to wonder if they couldn't tune that system sufficiently well on the new processor/software language of the new cameras.
11-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote

Well, those are quite harsh words...
One of the main reason I suspect is that they couldn't make the mechanical SR system quiet enough...
That's obviously not an issue if you, like me, are using an external recorder with more or less directional mics (cardioid or shotgun), or mics placed far from the camera, but it indeed is an issue for the average Joe using the camera on Sundays...
11-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
One of the main reason I suspect is that they couldn't make the mechanical SR system quiet enough...
That's obviously not an issue if you, like me, are using an external recorder with more or less directional mics (cardioid or shotgun), or mics placed far from the camera, but it indeed is an issue for the average Joe using the camera on Sundays...
If it were true then that would suggest that Pentax actually cared about Video - but we have all the evidence we need to show that they they really don't.
I never accepted it as a reason. It was never an issue with the K-7 and it's not even loud enough to be picked up with the K-01, K-50 or even the Q (if it were also used on Video mode).
And as you say, if it WAS an issue, it's a no brainer to use a shotgun mic or, if you're a bit more serious about audio for you clips an external recorder (TASCAM/Zoom etc) .
In my opinion there's no justifiable reasoning to this MovieSR. It's so abysmally bad (see videos above) I can't figure how it got passed as good enough to be used in a camera wearing the PENTAX marque. There's not even been any improvement since it's introduction in the Q and K-01. It's honestly shameful.
11-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If it were true then that would suggest that Pentax actually cared about Video - but we have all the evidence we need to show that they they really don't.
I never accepted it as a reason. It was never an issue with the K-7 and it's not even loud enough to be picked up with the K-01, K-50 or even the Q (if it were also used on Video mode).
And as you say, if it WAS an issue, it's a no brainer to use a shotgun mic or, if you're a bit more serious about audio for you clips an external recorder (TASCAM/Zoom etc) .
In my opinion there's no justifiable reasoning to this MovieSR. It's so abysmally bad (see videos above) I can't figure how it got passed as good enough to be used in a camera wearing the PENTAX marque. There's not even been any improvement since it's introduction in the Q and K-01. It's honestly shameful.
I believe the K-01 only has digital video SR as well...

Yep, I use a H4n (or a Scarlett when I have some mains into which plug a laptop)... it's a darn Swiss army knife... does almost everything, but pres are a little bit noisy...
On that topic, I can't fathom why a pro would want a mic input in a camera for video... low-quality audio is (should be) good enough for automatic sync in software (PP), only thing I can think of is re-routing an output from the recorder in order to have the exact same track in the video as well...
11-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I believe the K-01 only has digital video SR as well....
Correct, as I said; (if it were also used on Video mode).
No Pentax body uses mechanical SR in video mode since the K-5/II/IIs.

You're right, Pentax have assumed only the hobbiests would use in-camera audio because Pros would definately not. Yet they promote the K-3 as being Professional video !?
PENTAX - K-3

Just doesn't add up does it.