Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-08-2015, 05:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Roar 4 Life

Title is the name of a mate-ettes healthy living Youtube channel, clips shot using K-01 as the main camera and a JVC-HD7 handheld with a screw on wide-angle lens.
Audio recorded separately,. And the edit done by another crew member for the Purple Robe Productions team.

03-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The cameras really don't match... the K-01 output is much more pleasant looking. The JVC has completely different colors... maybe try to match it in post? At least a bit? And maybe she is standing too much in the shadows... any way of filling in some light?
03-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeh, the switch between cameras is dead obvious and spoils it. Did that JVC have a wide-angle lens adapter? Because the CA and OOF edges looks like it did (I had one for a SANYO camcorder years ago which gave the same awful effect).
I agree about the shadows, defo' needed a video light there.
03-09-2015, 03:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
maybe try to match it in post?
See that note about me not being the editor,.....

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Did that JVC have a wide-angle lens adapter? Because the CA and OOF edges looks like it did (I had one for a SANYO camcorder years ago which gave the same awful effect).
See in the original post where it says Screw On Wide-Angle,...

I have a colour profile preset made up in my effect bin on Edius, that I just drag and drop on to the JVC footage to match it reasonably closely to the K-01's 'natural' profile.
We stuck a big umbrella over the host to stop her squinting - it was a VERY bright day - and I had the AD holding down the Fleckie with gold bounce to stop it catching the wind coming over the top of the house we were filming at.

Hopefully at the next shoot for that webchannel there will be both enough crew to do the job better, and more matched cameras.
Though I don't know if matching a BMD 4K and an A7s is going to be difficult.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 03-09-2015 at 04:03 AM.
03-09-2015, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Ha, nope - I totally missed that part in your post..!
03-09-2015, 04:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I did read the wide angle part :P

Maybe use a Filmconvert supported setting and use the same film for the footage? I'd expect the footage to match then, if I understand it correctly. Of course that means acquiring a license, but it's a pretty nice bit of software anyway.
03-09-2015, 04:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you look closely, you'll see that blurring is stronger on the right side then the left - I think the sensor block has shifted off center, one of the reasons I only use it as a B-Camera or Behind Scenes camera.
The HD7 was pretty damn good in most respects when it was launched, excepting it's slow as heck OIS and JVC never enabling the firewire port for any other device then the JVC DVD burner.
Used for skating videos (like the guy I bought mine from did) or Motorsport, it's actually very good, 3CCD, no rolling shutter, half decent zoom range.

03-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Looks like the K-01 does the typical Pentax trick of overall lower exposure to retain the highlights. I actually really like that, as the sensors nowadays do very well as far as shadow recovery goes.
In this case though applying a correction to the Pentax footage could have pulled it much more towards the JVC.
White balance is off between the two shots, as well as saturation and exposure.
I think you'd have to pull the Pentax up, as I expect a lot is blown on the JVC, and for this type of thing it's output probably suits the final image look anyway better to start with?

Nothing that couldn't be adjusted fairly quickly really, and I take your comment about not being the editor

Thanks for the post.