Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2016, 10:31 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
And I really hope we can leave it there. The "Pentax-isn't-great-at-video" subject has been done to death here on the forums... Acknowledged - now let's move on, eh?
I never understood why it is being said that Pentax video isn't great. Pentax K5, K3, and K1 are well capable to do pro level video. I guess when people say that Pentax video isn't great they are talking about missing flip display so that you can see yourself while recording a selfie video or automatic face detection and AF tracking for making video blog (what the entry level Canon can do). But if you do a HD documentary with video filming technique (DSLR mounted on a steady tripod or panning rail), you won't see any difference between any recent Pentax DSLR and any other camera doing full HD video. If you are doing a pro video, I hope you aren't using SR? are you? If so, I seriously doubt you can have any valid judgement regarding Pentax video capability. In fact using SR in video mode instead of a panning rail setup is kinda non professional use case. IMO, a video maker from Hollywood can use a Pentax DSLR to mount a video, you won't be able to tell.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-01-2016 at 10:49 PM.
06-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
And I really hope we can leave it there. The "Pentax-isn't-great-at-video" subject has been done to death here on the forums... Acknowledged - now let's move on, eh?
<sigh>

Yes. I agree 100% that the topic has been done to death here.
I just have to speak up and say I don't agree when people say Pentax video is terrible.
People might be trolling for a response from me (and others) but what else is there?

If Holga/Lomography did video, then it would probably be terrible.

I wish people would understand a dSLR is not a dedicated video camera and while it's no secret that Canon, Sony and others do a nice mirror less or dSLR video product, we here who *do* use Pentax video as part of our work, need to set the record straight.

The record being...

1) Yes we are disappointed in the lack of progress in the video department at Pentax.
2) The video is not as bad as some people would like you to believe.
3) The technique of getting Pentax/Ricoh to listen, finally gave us the K1/FF, so I can't begrudge the normal-curmudgeon-Pentaxian-chatter when something isn't right.
4) If you are unhappy, a squeaky wheel gets the grease.
06-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I heard my ears ringing... Ok, here is a short project I did last week - all K1 footage. I did this in a single week. Everything you see is my work. This is my first "K1 project" and I'm very pleased with how the K1 is going to fit into my workflow.
Excellent example.
06-01-2016, 11:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
The K1 passes in my book when it comes to video.
I'll have a look at the videos tonight. Glad you were able to test it. A quick video in a store using SR does not give me any information whatsoever (yes, i'm referring to you Kadajawi :-)

by the way, i got my hands on one as well in a store. It would make a great cam for landscape use. The tilt screen is really nice, also for vertical landscape shooting. Considering it ;-)

06-02-2016, 12:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I'll have a look at the videos tonight. Glad you were able to test it. A quick video in a store using SR does not give me any information whatsoever (yes, i'm referring to you Kadajawi :-)

by the way, i got my hands on one as well in a store. It would make a great cam for landscape use. The tilt screen is really nice, also for vertical landscape shooting. Considering it ;-)
I was trying to prove how terrible SR is. Nothing more.

Yes, if you add a ton of gear the K-1 will do good work. So does an iPhone. The brilliance of the K-1 is that it could do great without all that gear. Not every professional video is shot using dollys, tripods, ...

The SR the camera currently employs is worse than pretty much everything. Leaving it away, without replacement would be an improvement, as even when deactivated it causes downsides.

What is the point of paying for a big sensor when the frame is cropped because of the deactivated SR?
06-02-2016, 02:35 AM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
You know you don't have to read the 'Video' forum.. :P
No, Steve, I don't. But as part of my moderating duties, I do open and view many new posts that appear in the "Latest Forum Discussions" (without any indication of which forum they reside in). You see, mods don't get the luxury of reading only those forums and posts they find interesting.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-02-2016 at 03:44 AM.
06-02-2016, 03:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't think Ricoh / Pentax considers the K-1 to be broken
They don't, the point is to show them how bad what they have is. Feels like they didn't try that function. How could they look and say... yup that'll do. If the choice is terrible image quality, or terrible audio quality, I feel a camera should go for image quality. An audio recorder should go for audio quality.

You need to deactivate the feature in pretty much all cases to get decent video. So why is it there, when the mere existence gives you drawbacks?

06-02-2016, 03:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
They don't, the point is to show them how bad what they have is. Feels like they didn't try that function. How could they look and say... yup that'll do. If the choice is terrible image quality, or terrible audio quality, I feel a camera should go for image quality. An audio recorder should go for audio quality.

You need to deactivate the feature in pretty much all cases to get decent video. So why is it there, when the mere existence gives you drawbacks?
Are you not exaggerating a little?
06-06-2016, 11:39 AM - 2 Likes   #24
ibk
Forum Member

Last week we finished filming a documentary for the first comics magazine in Bulgaria (1979-1992).
Cameras were Canon 5D Mark II and Pentax K-1. The K-1 was given to me by Pentax Bulgaria. It was a demo camera (firmware 0.52).
We filmed for 5 days - studio and out.
I used mainly PENTAX 77/1.8 but also DA 40 XS, M42 Flectogon 35/2.4 and PENTAX K 135/2.5. All the shots in the studio are 500-800 ISO.
The CROP mode in video is really useful.
Here is a link to some footage (1 min).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhwfxi5iy0iaagk/DUGA-PENTAX-K-1.mp4?dl=0

(better to download the video to watch in better quality)
06-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #25
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty good!
06-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Are you not exaggerating a little?
I always am

It is a fine camera locked down (though which camera isn't), apart from the moire/aliasing that is quite apparent IMHO. Hints at line skipping, i. e. low light it won't be that great either. The colors (if straight out of camera) look good, no complaints there, as usual with Pentax.

Now, if the camera would work not locked down it would be even better, wouldn't it? More versatile. Plus the crop is still disturbing me.
06-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #27
Pentaxian

It is a fine camera
Yes, for its niche...that's why I own it.

Perhaps, you will just have to wait for your perfect video/stills tool to be invented....like I'm waiting for the price of real estate to go down.
06-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #28
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Perhaps, you will just have to wait for your perfect video/stills tool to be invented....like I'm waiting for the price of real estate to go down.
no-one is asking for perfect
06-07-2016, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

I'm asking for cheaper real estate!
06-08-2016, 05:15 AM   #30
Veteran Member

apart from the moire/aliasing that is quite apparent
this is less forgivable in 2016 imo..