Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2016, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
okay guys and girls, just keep this thread civilized with no flame wars some people got my point. I thought by posting in Pentax Video forum I will avoid videophobic persons, but since I didn;t my answer is: guys, if you so don;t want video in Pentax DSLRs you have an option, Nikon released a perfect camera for you, it is called Nikon Df, it's sales are not so great so you can help Nikon out by buying this perfect pure photography camera. Or you could also buy Simga cameras, if I am not mistaken they are also not very much into anything video. I think we all need to realize that evolution is happening we want it or not. When cellphones turned into multifunctional devices did we want to pay for mp3 and cameras built in them? At first there were many skeptical people, but now almost no one consider a cellphone that would be with only 5 megapixel camera, could not connect to wifi, would have no media playback abilities. DSLRs proved to be very good cameras for video making. That is it, now people have expectations and wishes.

I wish to stay a Pentax user and would like to see a line of cameras that had decent enough video features. There are many cases where DSLRs and mirrorless proves to be a better choice even than a dedicated video camera. Fujifilm did it smartly, they realized that they need to step up in video department and did one camera with decent video features which might introduce a line aimed for future, they also recently released new X Pro model which skipped on videography stuff. Pentax could do exact same thing, they released K1 and also have 645z, why not release a semi pro innovation aimed body line with decent video features?

To those who suggested go with another brand, I am considering this, but think how it affects you, I go to another brand, one employee at Ricoh looses a portion of his salary, so this person has to postpone something on a project he/she is working. It might be a very desired new lens you been waiting for ages. It may be a new image processor that would make your taken pictures incredibly richer in color rendition. On the mean time Ricoh has better success and sales with Theta, new model is rumored to have 4k, Theta could be a tool used for now popular VR content creation. So instead of marvelous brand new awesome Lens you were dreaming about, or instead of K1 mark 2, you get to enjoy Theta X. A product you have no interest in because it has 4k video! And lets assume I went with Fuji or Sony, I invested in this system, got decent lenses, spent there around 5k, it would not be easy to win me back to Pentax. Any normal marketeer and brand would want to see those 5k go to their account, not competition.

If not my financial situation unexpected shift, I would probably be a sony a7 line user for 5 days now.
I am not ranting just to rant. Pentax needs to know that their user base also has video guys, indie filmmakers, who are hungry for a Pentax DSLR or mirrorless with decent video features. Not asking to turn every single DSLR into video camera, just one line with decent and competitive video abilities.

07-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
I am not ranting just to rant. Pentax needs to know that their user base also has video guys, indie filmmakers, who are hungry for a Pentax DSLR or mirrorless with decent video features. Not asking to turn every single DSLR into video camera, just one line with decent and competitive video abilities.
... as it is for Canon and its 70D/80D with dual pixel... great success, big money for them...
and they still are producing and developping the 7D line, which has a great emphasis on picture...

totally agree with you

Last edited by Sasha; 07-08-2016 at 09:32 AM.
07-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
The most recent (I think) processor:
"The MB86S27 is equipped with a Codec Engine originally developed at Socionext, and is designed for delivering high resolution 4K video."

This is almost a year old. Maybe there's hope?
I was actually a little surprised that the K-70 didn't have a new PRIME processor with 4K. In the past, Pentax has launched bodies with video improvements a few months after Fujitsu/SocioNext announced them in the Milbeaut. SocioNext announced 4K in the Milbeaut last October (IIRC), and the Nikon D500 launched with 4K just a few months later; I really thought the K-70 might have it, but it has the same PRIME M II processor from the K-S1/S2.
07-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
I chose Pentax for the fact that they dont concentrate on video. And i keft canon because they did...
Why?---it would only add to the capabilities and appeal of the camera., I don't use video very much, but really wish Pentax would catch up to every other major (also some minor) camera makers. Video is here to stay and will only get better. If you don;t like video-just take a little piece of black tape and cover up the video button.

07-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #35
Imp
Pentaxian

Just an opinion here, no need for anyone to quote it and attack it because they disagree:
Personally, I would upgrade my camera a lot sooner if it had good video capability. As is, I'm content with my K-30 as a photography camera, for the time being, and i'll update it eventually, in maybe 2-4 years. But if a new Pentax had good video features, I'd really want to jump on that.
07-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Every manufacturer has their own niche. Every camera can't have everything

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I was actually a little surprised that the K-70 didn't have a new PRIME processor with 4K. In the past, Pentax has launched bodies with video improvements a few months after Fujitsu/SocioNext announced them in the Milbeaut. SocioNext announced 4K in the Milbeaut last October (IIRC), and the Nikon D500 launched with 4K just a few months later; I really thought the K-70 might have it, but it has the same PRIME M II processor from the K-S1/S2.
i think K-70 might be the K-S2 replacement, and I think there might be something else exciting coming in August and another something else exciting coming in November. kenspo intimated something like that.

07-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
i think K-70 might be the K-S2 replacement, and I think there might be something else exciting coming in August and another something else exciting coming in November. kenspo intimated something like that.
I'm thinking in that direction, too - it just seemed like the K-70 was the right point in time for the new processor, based on what we've seen in the past.
07-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Every manufacturer has their own niche. Every camera can't have everything
Exactly right - you'll never get a job at DPR with that attitude though!
Pentax has been waiting for on-sensor PDAF, and 4k is blooming at the same time. I still don't expect wonders from K-mount video but I expect it will improve with the K-70 and thereafter.
07-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sasha Quote
try with buying a smartphone different from an iPhone then... Except from these last one...all androids have bigger screen and they don't last 50 minutes berween charges...switching from Galaxy S3 (died at 20 every day) to Galaxy S5 (last until I go to bed with 20/30% remaining battery) give me a lot less "headaches"... and it have a bigger screen too...

anyway, I didn't fail to understand your irony... just saying that, with progress, products today are a lot better than those in the same price tag of the early days... and if you have a "trained ear" and a great pair of over-ear/on-ear headphones you may recognize (even if this is not always the case depending on the quality of the DSP used in smartphones for audio through headphones) that probably a new high quality smartphone even allow to listen to MP3 songs better than your old MP3 player... try set it on airplane mode and it will last even longer than your old MP3 player...

I wasn't being ironic, just for me I have no interest in lugging round a huge phone to listen to music.....sometimes dedicated devices can be better/more convenient than a multi-functional device. I have a small mobile phone that makes calls and texts, which is fine for me. I'm sure I will not personally buy an iPhone when I need to get a smartphone, I probably will get a Samsung Galaxy.
With regard to videography, obviously it is a great advantage to have video enabled DSLRs and mirrorless system cameras, for the reasons mentioned above regarding lens selection, DoF control, larger sensor enabling better quality in low light etc. I don't have a particular interest in shooting video, but I'm not going to decry those that do: However Pentax has shown little interest in developing this side of things, and It seems that many are frustrated with aspects of Pentax's implementation, such as mechanical SR not being available in video mode on the current K line-up, so if video is a really sizeable chunk of your photography, Pentax might not be the best brand for you at the moment. By all means lobby Ricoh for the improvements you would like, but why not consider another system to run alongside or replace your Pentax gear if it is holding you back?
07-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #41

Photos: Gallery
My two cents...

My personal preference - a split - a K-1V and a K-1P (or whatever model you prefer "P" and "V"). Same body, same sensor - different computer. One geared toward the photographic market and one to video. Each would still have abilities to do both - but the majority of processing/features/buttons/programming goes to one or the other. There are many people who like to use a DSLR for video - they can purchase the "V" version. There are many more that use a DSLR for pictures only - hence the "P" version.

Personally, I would like to see a DSLR focus less on video and more on the still image - but that is just what I prefer. Your mileage may vary.
07-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's easy to say "Pentax should make a camera with competitive video", but it's like saying "Pentax should make a 50 megapixel camera" - Pentax doesn't make the key components. They don't have access to an image processor that does what videophiles want. Their involvement with video appears to be limited to providing access to whatever modes SocioNext builds into the Milbeaut/PRIME. (I think) Ricoh makes the processor in the GR, but its video is no better. Even if Ricoh would invest in developing their own videocentric processor, or if Canon, Panasonic, or Sony, (or Fuji?) would sell Pentax a processor with top-of-the-line video capabilities, it would mean starting from scratch on a completely different platform from what Pentax has used for the past decade. That takes a serious investment in time and money - maybe even more than what was required for the K-1.
07-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NYNOIR Quote
Why?---it would only add to the capabilities and appeal of the camera., I don't use video very much, but really wish Pentax would catch up to every other major (also some minor) camera makers. Video is here to stay and will only get better. If you don;t like video-just take a little piece of black tape and cover up the video button.
Canon spent huge amount of resources researching video and it hurt their still photography research. Particularly in the area orlf sensor research. The 80D is their first camera since 2009 to show any real gains in dynamic range, and high iso.
07-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think Pentax pretty much want "Well everyone else has video in their DSLR's, might as well put video in ours too." and has kept it there just to have it there.

For anyone else that cares about the video part of DSLR's, there's always Sony (and Fuji).
07-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It's easy to say "Pentax should make a camera with competitive video", but it's like saying "Pentax should make a 50 megapixel camera" - Pentax doesn't make the key components. They don't have access to an image processor that does what videophiles want. Their involvement with video appears to be limited to providing access to whatever modes SocioNext builds into the Milbeaut/PRIME. (I think) Ricoh makes the processor in the GR, but its video is no better. Even if Ricoh would invest in developing their own videocentric processor, or if Canon, Panasonic, or Sony, (or Fuji?) would sell Pentax a processor with top-of-the-line video capabilities, it would mean starting from scratch on a completely different platform from what Pentax has used for the past decade. That takes a serious investment in time and money - maybe even more than what was required for the K-1.
I'm curious actually, considering Nikon depends on the same processor as Pentax, how is their video encoding for standard HD, disregarding 4k and all the fancy stuff? My biggest issue is not the spec sheet stuff, but the fact that at my job we periodically use a Rebel T3i for reference photography and video, the entry level Canon with kit lens has far better video quality than my K-3 with a prime under the same conditions (I've used my camera for b-roll). The K-3's video encoding is so poor everything looks soft and mushy, being held back by a modest bit-rate. Is this limited by the processor?