Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Really think you should just buy that G85, PDR.
I will be, but I already know from sample footage that it doesn't have the dynamic range or the colour gamut of the K-01, let alone the K-1 or KP.
Plus I risk the light leaks of the lens adapters.

In an ideal world, by now, someone would have posted a test of a KP with the Slimport HDMI output, or loaned me one to test.
The Slimport people tell me the KP passed the certification, but didn't say anything about resolutions, frame-rate, recordability of the signal.

Here's the kicker. On some devices, the Slimport HDMI outputs UHD.

Yup, not a typo, 4K UHD.

So, if it's already been done correctly, the KP 'may' be Pentax's first 4K camera, or may just be the first one we can record the HDMI output on, but there's no way to know unless a reviewer tests it,.... Or someone's willing to loan me one to test one afternoon with my Atomos Shogun.

Pentax KP owners in Melbourne - I'm looking for volunteers!

If I can record decent video from the Slimport HDMI output, I'd buy one in a heartbeat, even if it's only HD at 24 & 25 fps.

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Not if ya can't afford it.
Exactly!

That's why I don't own a Cion yet.

07-05-2017, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #32
Forum Member

All we (or at least I) am saying, is that Pentax, in order to needs to keep their video quality at modern day standards and not at 2012 levels. That's all.

)

This is quite right. Pentax doesn't need to be at the lead when it comes to video, it just needs to be in the middle of the pack. And that means workable video.

This is probably something Ricoh know and are working on. The reality is that people who make money from photography won't buy Pentax products if they don't up their game here, or people who have bought Pentax products will switch systems if they don't.

Here's what would be smart for Pentax: launch a dedicated video DSLR with 4k plus workable in-video focussing system, so people invested in the system can buy their second camera body to use with all their expensive glass. Pentax would also potentially get new customers, and then it could help defray the R&D investment through this video-specific model, before they introduce 4K video on the K1 mark II.

Video is the future of earning money with cameras for 80% of professionals (see my earlier post in this thread). If Pentax wants to exclude young professionals from being able to use its products, then I suggest selling your Ricoh shares.
07-05-2017, 05:39 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dofmaster Quote
This is quite right. Pentax doesn't need to be at the lead when it comes to video, it just needs to be in the middle of the pack. And that means workable video.
Absolutely! When people are trying to decide between various DSLRs for shooting stills, quite often the answer eventually becomes, "Most every modern DSLR is capable of producing great photos." And that's true...they are. The same answer is almost true for video, with the exception of Pentax. Pentax's video is usable, but it needs to be better...and I think it could be if a little more emphasis were placed on it. It kills me when someone is seeking a camera to shoot video for YouTube and folks recommend other cameras besides Pentax even when it's obvious that the person is simply looking to upgrade over the built-in camera on their laptop.

On a side note: For those who say, "Get a dedicated video camera"...been there, done that...about 20 years ago. At the time, it was the only real option. Times have changed though and I'm just waiting and hoping that Pentax changes with them.
07-06-2017, 02:38 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dofmaster Quote
Here's what would be smart for Pentax: launch a dedicated video DSLR with 4k plus workable in-video focussing system, so people invested in the system can buy their second camera body to use with all their expensive glass. Pentax would also potentially get new customers, and then it could help defray the R&D investment through this video-specific model, before they introduce 4K video on the K1 mark II.
I would think, a most cost effective method, would be to develop 'Pro Edition Firmware' for current models.

A "Standard Version" shipped on all the cameras, with all the current features and updates.

A "Pro Photography" version, available to download, where the video features and the on-camera editing features are gone, and new functions assigned to the switches currently used in Video - this version could increase buffer size and burst rate, by freeing up system resources currently used for the Video and Image Editing firmware, and dropping Jpegs completely.

A "Pro Video" version, with basic Stills, no image editing, and really top end Video performance.

The Stills version wouldn't need HDMI, but would benefit rock solid WiFi or USB tethering.
The Video version wouldn't need tethering, but perfect HDMI and WiFi streaming would be fantastic.

Same Hardware, Custom Firmware.

09-22-2017, 11:17 PM   #35
Veteran Member

My suggestion : copy every video feature from the Panasonic GH5 . Just use the same full frame sensor as the K-1. Keep the price the same.
09-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
My suggestion : copy every video feature from the Panasonic GH5 . Just use the same full frame sensor as the K-1. Keep the price the same.
As easy as snappin ya fingas.

The K-1 sensor isnt capable of 4K,but if the A7r2 sensor is used in the next version of the K-1,then its 4K capable.
09-23-2017, 06:52 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I do find it pretty frustrating that the KP which I have brought has seemingly been deliberately crippled.

I have brought Panasonic and Olympus cameras for video work, along with a small stack of (quite expensive) lenses for those cameras - I definitely would have spent that money on lenses, and accessories for my Pentax if they had just made the video modes better in their apsc dslr's. As it stands I can't afford to buy stuff for two entirely different camera systems so I have to prioritize.

Most of the video work I do is recording seminars, tutorials, and suchlike - it's not high end stuff.

09-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
but... do we know that is true? Nope. Could be. Couldn't be. Couldn't tell for sure.

anyone get the reference?
How can it be any other way. Hardware and software engineers are not free.
09-26-2017, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Not if ya can't afford it.
That's kind of the point for me too.
I have seen other brands that do a good enough job in both still and video, that I know they don't have to be mutually exclusive.
This is not a heads or tails situation, where you can only have one or the other now.

I want to keep all the good points I like with Pentax for stills, and use them for video too.
These include ergonomics, the lenses I have, user interface, solid rugged design and weather sealing, image quality etc.

There are always going to be (massively more expensive) devices tailor made for the extreme best in one aspect, such as the 645Z for studio stills work, and video only devices such as the Sony F5/FS7 etc.
However, the likes of Sony, Panasonic, CaNikon, Fuji, Olympus (insert most every other brand in the world) have shown that you can achieve good enough results in both stills and video now, on the same device.

Pentax is now approaching 7 years since their last significant video development upgrade, (and downgrade in some ways too, 2 steps forward & 1 step back...) and that's pathetic.
Yes you can do some cool stuff with their current offering, but it's Q3 2017 and it shows.
09-29-2017, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
As easy as snappin ya fingas.

The K-1 sensor isnt capable of 4K,but if the A7r2 sensor is used in the next version of the K-1,then its 4K capable.
GH5 is not only 4K, it's 4K/60, 4:2:2, with 10 bit color for video, with unlimited video clip recording length (not 30 minutes or 16 minutes !), and up to 400 Mbit/s bit rate recording to UHS-II cards. Really leaves any Pentax video in the dust. Only thing is that the 4/3 sensor is smaller in the GH5 than K-1 or even APS-C.

What I meant to say is, copy every feature from the GH5, and put a full-frame sensor. Doesn't have to be the specific model of sensor from the K-1.
Even if it was done with APS-C, I would still go for it, as I could reuse my DA lenses. Fat chance that Pentax is going to catch up now.

What originally led me to choose Pentax with the K200D (which didn't do any video) was in-body stabilization, and in-body AA battery support. The later feature has been abandoned in all recent Pentax bodies. The former is now in many competitors' bodies. My K-30 is probably my last Pentax camera. I bought it originally in 2012 when it came out. When I lost it on Jan 1 2016, I bought another (for $200 on ebay). Still love that model, except for video.
I can't justify $2K for a K-1 that is so far behind the competition in video, even if it gives me better stills. It will also cost me in convenience (no AA battery support).

Last edited by madbrain; 10-01-2017 at 09:33 PM.
10-03-2017, 04:34 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, except for the Panasonics Menu,....

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The K-1 sensor isnt capable of 4K
I would question that, as if the Stills have a greater width then 4096 pixels, then the Sensor is capable of 4K.
Now, the image processor, that not being capable of 4K, that would not suprise me in the least.

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
I do find it pretty frustrating that the KP which I have brought has seemingly been deliberately crippled.
YUUUUP.
Looked very closely at that, and it would be an awesome camera for video, if it had Sensor Shift, and if the Slimport-HDMI worked.

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I want to keep all the good points I like with Pentax for stills, and use them for video too. These include ergonomics, the lenses I have, user interface, solid rugged design and weather sealing, image quality etc.
100% Agree - the Anti-Video crowd don't realise just how good a Pentax is compared to other video capable DLSR's in regard to all the user interface design.

I can't justify $2K for a K-1 that is so far behind the competition in video, even if it gives me better stills.
Or any camera with 2012 spec video,....

He says, a few weeks after being offered a US$2500 deal on a Cinema Camera,... soooo close,... And it's going to be wearing Pentax Primes!
10-03-2017, 04:41 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
the image processor
I think its that restriction,milbeaut7???....did read it needed 8.
10-03-2017, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
I would question that, as if the Stills have a greater width then 4096 pixels, then the Sensor is capable of 4K.
Now, the image processor, that not being capable of 4K, that would not suprise me in the least.
It's not the processor that prevents 4k video in the K-1, it's the sensor.

None of the cameras (K-1, D800, D810, & a7R) that use Sony's 36 MPix FF sensor can do 4k video because that sensor can't output pixel data fast enough .

To be 4k capable, the sensor must have BOTH sufficient resolution and sufficient readout speed. (That Sony sensor was designed for high-DR, not high pixel readout rates.)
10-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
It's not the processor that prevents 4k video in the K-1, it's the sensor.
I'm interested to learn more about sensor read-out speeds & bottlenecks, can you provide a not-too-technical source regarding this?
10-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I'm interested to learn more about sensor read-out speeds & bottlenecks, can you provide a not-too-technical source regarding this?
Tricky! (It is a technical topic)

The least technical thing I could find was http://educypedia.karadimov.info/library/sensors.pdf but don't worry about all the math & circuits.