Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snakeisthestuff Quote
As per request a very short unedited video-sample (K-1 FF-Mode + DA* 55 + ext. mic Rode stereo video mic pro):
Dropbox - IMGP4859.avi

Download file for full video quality inspection (~100 MB). Original camera codec, not reencoded in any way.
The K-1 saves .MOV video files in the H.264 codec, how is you you have an .avi if it is an unedited sample Original camera codec, not reencoded in any way.?

EDIT: Tried three times to download the file from Dropbox, but it fails at about 65% each time.

EDIT#2: Got the file on fourth try.
Media Info says Writing library : VirtualDub build 35491/release
Why not upload the untouched OOC *.mov file?

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 08-22-2017 at 08:31 PM.
08-23-2017, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
The K-1 saves .MOV video files in the H.264 codec, how is you you have an .avi if it is an unedited sample Original camera codec, not reencoded in any way.?

EDIT: Tried three times to download the file from Dropbox, but it fails at about 65% each time.

EDIT#2: Got the file on fourth try.
Media Info says Writing library : VirtualDub build 35491/release
Why not upload the untouched OOC *.mov file?
Simple answer, the original file is 2GB which I obviously won't upload.
So i cut that clip using vdub with directstream-copy on video / audio, hence the file extension and media info.

I did cutting not see as editing, but your right it is edited in that regard.
Btw. your welcome!
08-23-2017, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Btw. your welcome!
Snake, I'll take a moment to say "THANKS" for your excellent contributions to this thread.

Unfortunately, so many members here not only don't bother to thank others for going the extra yard, but some (like camyum in the second post above) make demands that sound like military orders!
08-23-2017, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Snake, I'll take a moment to say "THANKS" for your excellent contributions to this thread.

Unfortunately, so many members here not only don't bother to thank others for going the extra yard, but some (like camyum in the second post above) make demands that sound like military orders!
Your welcome. Happy to contribute to your thread

08-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here is a 6 minute K-1 video that's unedited. Shot last summer with a craptacular film-era Tamron 28 to 210 zoom.

Dropbox - IMGP1532.MOV
08-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smigol Quote
Here is a 6 minute K-1 video that's unedited. Shot last summer with a craptacular film-era Tamron 28 to 210 zoom.
That's quite acceptable footage for those who don't regard anything not 4K as rubbish.
But again, Pentax have shot themselves in the foot with that totally destructive digital SR. They must be blind.
Excellent kite, when it wasn't getting snagged up on it's own pilot kite

PS: To others, it's just a smidgen over 1 gigabyte download.
08-24-2017, 11:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Dropbox - IMGP1532.MOV
Thanks, that was surprisingly decent .

08-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

As per request a very short unedited video-sample (K-1 FF-Mode + DA* 55 + ext. mic Rode stereo video mic pro):
Dropbox - IMGP4859.avi
Thanks to you, Snakeisthestuff !
Yes, no need to talk about the video-quality it seems, Sad.
Smartphones can mostly do better in such situations ...

But the sound is quite good, maybe because of distant speakers ?
Oh, you even got the RODE on external. Very good !

In daylight video might be better ?
But Thanks anyway ... and whatever the outcome might be !!!
Dropbox - IMGP1532.MOV
Thanks for your video-clip Smigol !
Good to see someone share his stuff - even though the quality cannot cheer up anyone.
Well, that lense may be also a reason for little sharpness, but for photos it might serve you well - while travelling, etc.
The SR is just terrible. Don't use it please, It is disgusting. Oh my ....

Thanks again !

Last edited by TomGarn; 08-25-2017 at 02:14 PM.
08-28-2017, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax video has been good enough for a long time now.
What's missing is the extra bits that help you out in anything other than ideal shooting conditions.

The stabilisation is no longer mechanical, and the bit rates are at least half what nearly all the competition are offering.
Put those two together and the video quickly breaks apart during busy scenes.

I've now done paid work with the K-3 and the client was very happy with the results. There is much more than just the video pictures that go into a successful video piece of work, but at the same time it would be really nice if Pentax gave even half a days thought to improving the base they already have.
09-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, after a few days of testing many K mount and adapted lenses on my K1 camera, I've come up with a "video lens kit" of my favorite lenses for video recording on the K1 camera. This kit includes:

1. Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art lens
2. MC Helios 44M-4 58mm f/2 lens
serial number 90320411

These lenses equaled (or bettered) many much more expensive lenses (including Voigtlander, Zeiss, and Pentax lenses).

I'd have to say the best bang for your buck is the Helios lens. I believe that I only paid around $150 for it, and I was particularly impressed with the colors that it renders and its' sharpness! I did try 3 or 4 other Helios versions, but found that the MC 44M-4 was the best of them. It's just "crazy good" in the video mode on my K1 cameras - a definite must have lens for K1 video.
09-03-2017, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Helios 44-4 was sold with M42 mount (Helios 44M-4) and K mount (Heilios 44K-4).
As far as I know, these two are otherwise identical.

For that kind of work it probably won't matter, but for other applications it may be more convenient not to use an adapter (changing lenses in the field comes to mind).
10-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
At the same time, really old movies like Rear Window or Casablanca are still rewatchable, even though they aren't HD because of the other factors at play.
Those movies were shot at 4K or higher As long as it was shot on 35mm film (or higher). Now film stock back then wasn't as good as it is now, but still the resolution should be high enough for at the very least 1080p.